Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

LED Headlight Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2022, 07:00 PM
Default LED Headlight Conversion

Hi! I
m new to this forum so please pardon any screw-ups.

We have a 2015 Mazda CX-5 with HID headlights and running lights. The driver's side bulb is pretty unreliable,and burns out at the wrong times, so I'm looking to convert to LEDs for both low- and high-beams as well as running lights.

Have folks done this on their CX-5s? What bulbs did you use? Did you need a separate resistor for these things or are they mostly plug-and-play?

Thanks!

Old 01-02-2023, 07:56 AM

My son purchased a LED kit with a 'black' box to adjust voltage etc, and it gave no end of problems. I told him to go to reputable auto parts store and buy high end Osram or Sylvania or GE replacement bulbs. The come in 3 categories. He purchased the mid cost item and is very happy with results and much cheaper than those conversion kits. Google the 3 names above. Let me know the results after installing.

Old 01-02-2023, 02:41 PM
Exclamation

Originally Posted by SoquelDude
Hi! I
m new to this forum so please pardon any screw-ups.

We have a 2015 Mazda CX-5 with HID headlights and running lights. The driver's side bulb is pretty unreliable,and burns out at the wrong times, so I'm looking to convert to LEDs for both low- and high-beams as well as running lights.

Have folks done this on their CX-5s? What bulbs did you use? Did you need a separate resistor for these things or are they mostly plug-and-play?

Thanks!
If your CX5 had HID than standard bulbs will not fit. Sockets are not compatible. Both HID and LED bulbs require a "driver" aka a black box to convert 12 Volts DC to the system that HID or LED requires. HID and LED drivers are NOT compatible. Another words it is a little more complicated than just buying a set of Philips bulbs and plugging those in. Not sure if there are LED bulbs that can be plugged in to the reflectors that were build to take HID bulbs. You can buy LED conversion kits that will include drivers but I do not know if the sockets of your Mazda can take the LED bulbs.