Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2018, 10:06 PM
Default Key Fob Replacement

I have 2016 CX5 and just lost one key fob and afraid the founder will use it to enter my car. Is there a way to recode the one I still have and buy another one and have a locksmith reprogram both? Greatly appreciate any suggestions.

Old 07-24-2018, 06:29 AM
Super Moderator

Yes. As soon as you go to reprogram your remote, any other remotes are automatically deleted.

Old 07-24-2018, 03:17 PM

Thanks. Glad to know. Is reprogramming a DIY task. Plan to buy replacement key fob from Amazon and it should come with instructions for reprogramming. also a blank key that will come with it may be made at Lowes. Is this sound ok? Any suggestion on where is the best place to get the replacement?

Old 07-24-2018, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by pprompun
Thanks. Glad to know. Is reprogramming a DIY task. Plan to buy replacement key fob from Amazon and it should come with instructions for reprogramming. also a blank key that will come with it may be made at Lowes. Is this sound ok? Any suggestion on where is the best place to get the replacement?
If the CX5 is anything like the MX5, you need two already programmed keys to program a new one. You can clone keys, but that will not remove the old ones from the computer in the car. Also, the process is different for the AKE systems and the KE systems. You also need to make sure that the chip in the new key has the same frequency as your vehicle.

Old 07-25-2018, 04:16 AM
Super Moderator

Programming the key is computer controlled, it requires security codes to enter programming mode.

Old 07-25-2018, 06:50 AM

I still have the metal tag that came with the key, with the security code (4 digits). I think I am ready to order the new fob. Thank you all for the help.

Old 07-26-2018, 06:11 AM
Super Moderator

That tag is only for the cutting of the key blade. Its got nothing to do with the remote or the imobiliser system

Old 07-26-2018, 09:21 AM

Thanks, Grim_reaper. You mentioned "it requires security codes to enter programming mode". Do I need a locksmith to do this or DIY? If diy, where can I find the security code?

Old 07-27-2018, 05:32 AM
Super Moderator

Definitely not DIY.

Some locksmiths may have the software.

Old 09-26-2019, 09:38 AM

https://www.keylessremotewarehouse.com/ helped me out when I was having issues with my keyfob. These guys are the experts!

Quick Reply: Key Fob Replacement