Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

KEY FOB...2016 CX-5 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:43 AM
Default KEY FOB...2016 CX-5 Sport

Sporadic starting problems on my CX-5 but when I jiggled keys in pocket seemed to "cure" problem. Figured it must be battery in Fob.so I went to spare Fob and all was well. I could not understand why my pervious key for Honda Element went for 12 years on the original battery and CX-5 battery only lasted 2 1/2 years. After a little thought I realized the Mazda Fob is always "broadcasting" because when you start car or open trunk, etc. there is no active activation of the Fob necessary. It is transmitting all the time, even when it is far from the vehicle. With the Honda (key start) there was a chip in the key (a resistor apparently) that completes a circuit necessary to start car so no activation from key is necessary. It apparently is a passive system. Not even sure if Honda key had a battery because I never replaced it.

Very simple to replace battery and directions how here:

FYI replacement batteries readily available on the net I bought 5 for $2.41.. battery designation: ECR2025 which is interchangeable with CR2025

Old 08-09-2018, 12:31 PM

I too had to change the battery in my 2015 Mazda 3 after about 3 years. When the first one went out, I used the back-up for the next 6 months when that one went out. I appreciate your post, I thought I was the only one with the early death of the key battery.

I thought I found a good deal buying 6 for around $5.00. They were also around 5.00 each, all on Amazon.

The good news is that you can still open the car (by pulling out the old fashion key and using it to open the drivers door) and start the car (by pushing the start button with the key) and that the solution is a cheap do-it-yourself solution.

Old 10-10-2019, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
I too had to change the battery in my 2015 Mazda 3 after about 3 years. When the first one went out, I used the back-up for the next 6 months when that one went out. I appreciate your post, I thought I was the only one with the early death of the key battery.

I thought I found a good deal buying 6 for around $5.00. They were also around 5.00 each, all on Amazon.

The good news is that you can still open the car (by pulling out the old fashion key and using it to open the drivers door) and start the car (by pushing the start button with the key) and that the solution is a cheap do-it-yourself solution.

I was able to get my replacements from keylessremotewarehouse.com

Old 10-19-2019, 09:29 PM

Try keylessremotewarehouse.com They've got pretty good deals and have programming guides if you can do it without a dealership involved.

Old 10-20-2019, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by topol
Sporadic starting problems on my CX-5 but when I jiggled keys in pocket seemed to "cure" problem. Figured it must be battery in Fob.so I went to spare Fob and all was well. I could not understand why my pervious key for Honda Element went for 12 years on the original battery and CX-5 battery only lasted 2 1/2 years. After a little thought I realized the Mazda Fob is always "broadcasting" because when you start car or open trunk, etc. there is no active activation of the Fob necessary. It is transmitting all the time, even when it is far from the vehicle. With the Honda (key start) there was a chip in the key (a resistor apparently) that completes a circuit necessary to start car so no activation from key is necessary. It apparently is a passive system. Not even sure if Honda key had a battery because I never replaced it.

Very simple to replace battery and directions how here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCvxDYdX7g

FYI replacement batteries readily available on the net I bought 5 for $2.41.. battery designation: ECR2025 which is interchangeable with CR2025

The way these systems typically work....

The fob doesn't 'broadcast' continually but it does 'listen' continually. It listens for a signal from the car and once it hears this (because a request button has been pressed) it broadcasts a signal that the car picks up and it's told that it's ok to start, or unlock the doors or whatever.