Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Just bought a 2016 CX-5 GT... no rear headrests!

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2018, 10:43 PM
Default Just bought a 2016 CX-5 GT... no rear headrests!

Just bought a 2016 CX-5 GT with 33K miles. Super clean, white, with sand leather.

Have had it for a day and just noticed that the two main rear headrests are missing (the center one is there). Never sat in the back seat until tonight

I searched the internet and don't see any obvious sources for the sand/white/beige headrests... Found a few sources with black leather, but...

Are there any go-to sources for such parts? Any salvage parts sources to try?

Thanks in advance!

Old 05-09-2018, 11:37 PM

You're actually lucky they're missing; the American market rear outboard headrests are a miserable design. Not only do they block a large portion of the rear view, but they interfere with the the front seatbacks when you try to drop the rear seatbacks to create a cargo floor!. Many people remove them for these reasons or replace them with JDM (Japanese domestic market) headrests which have a low profile like the center one. JDM CX-5 headrests are available from one or two sources online. Do a google search and see what you turn up. If you have no luck, post back here and I'll see if I can find a source for you. Otherwise, check with your dealer for the American version or scrapyards. Maybe ebay too.
Here's an entire thread from another forum dealing with the topic:https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ight=headrests

Last edited by paris1; 05-09-2018 at 11:49 PM.
Old 05-09-2018, 11:42 PM

Here's a guy from another site who had some for sale a few months ago. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...ight=headrests
Might check and see if they're still available.

Old 05-10-2018, 05:02 AM

Where did you buy the CX-5? You should check with the seller and see if they still have the rear headrests before you try buying new.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:52 PM
Default Thanks

Thanks for the replies. Contacted the dealer and they are looking into it. Also am checking on the ones that were for sale.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:18 PM

I'd definitely want them, if I bought the car. I know I have mine (just bought a 2016, as well).

Modern head rests are annoyingly tall and obstruct your rear view, but they're designed to prevent whiplash if you're rear-ended. On a side note, I removed my head rests from my 2015 Frontier because they completely blocked my rear window. I keep them in a box, but I couldn't imagine selling my Fronty without putting them back.

Old 05-18-2018, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by jsaxophone
I'd definitely want them, if I bought the car. I know I have mine (just bought a 2016, as well).

Modern head rests are annoyingly tall and obstruct your rear view, but they're designed to prevent whiplash if you're rear-ended. On a side note, I removed my head rests from my 2015 Frontier because they completely blocked my rear window. I keep them in a box, but I couldn't imagine selling my Fronty without putting them back.
Plenty of manufacturers use low profile rear headrests that don't block the view near as much as the ones Mazda uses in the CX-5 and other crossovers. In fact, Mazda uses these better designed parts in other markets. That's why i replaced mine with JDM pieces and never looked back (so to speak).

Old 05-19-2018, 02:47 PM

If the JDM seats are different, it's because Mazda it has to conform to some sort of USDM law. Mazda doesn't want to have to design the same part twice. In either case, the aren't nearly as bad as the Frontier.

Old 05-19-2018, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by jsaxophone
If the JDM seats are different, it's because Mazda it has to conform to some sort of USDM law. Mazda doesn't want to have to design the same part twice. In either case, the aren't nearly as bad as the Frontier.

They're not? US version on left, JDM version on right!

Old 05-19-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
They're not? US version on left, JDM version on right!
I'll have to check when I drive the CX again. I haven't noticed, them in my way, so far.

Quick Reply: Just bought a 2016 CX-5 GT... no rear headrests!