Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Interior cabin noise/rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 03:43 PM
Question Interior cabin noise/rattle?

I have a 2016 GT Cx-5 and have already had to have the dealer tighten the center console due to it somehow becoming loose. Even after that, I notice this car loves to make rattling noises like crazy when going over bumps. I heard from a friend that Mazda's are known for doing this. The 2017=2018 CX-5's seem to have resolved this, of course. When going over bumps, the cargo area sounds like a toolbox moving around (yes my spoiler is tight). The climate control cluster loves to creak when its on. I'm just curious if anyone has noticed any of this to any degree? I'm thinking the cold is the culprit here.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:25 PM

Well to begin with, your friend is wrong. Mazdas are no more prone to this than any other non-premium brand that don't take some of the extra steps in manufacturing that the premium brands do. And yes, cold is largely the culprit; the interior plastics become less pliable as the temps drop and panel joints bind more.

Old 11-18-2018, 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
Well to begin with, your friend is wrong. Mazdas are no more prone to this than any other non-premium brand that don't take some of the extra steps in manufacturing that the premium brands do. And yes, cold is largely the culprit; the interior plastics become less pliable as the temps drop and panel joints bind more.
Does yours do it too?

Old 11-18-2018, 11:22 PM

Yes, to a degree. It's just something you get used to. Unless of course you've got some sort of abberation which you can identify as the source of the noise.

Old 11-18-2018, 11:44 PM

Many MAZDA models do not have much insulation anywhere! The noises can be eliminated but it is a patient and slow process to first find them , remove the part and use something to dampen the part and reinstalling it.
I was surprised with my 2018 I removed the complete interior and all the door panel to find almost nothing in the doors, nothing worth even mentioning about under the carpet and nothing or only small strip in the panel areas.
The dash had rattles cold hot or maybe Stripe (evil Gremlin) was taking up residence in my car?
After installing brand top of the line plush carpet on top of the factory carpet which I should mention was only a few months old and the odometer was almost at 5000 miles, sound deadener material in all the doors and panels even the 6 pillar front rear and center, a few other dash pieces I have almost found all the annoying noises. My next step is the complete under caring which will include all the wheel wells and under the hood and fire wall.

Hey it is a lot of work but at this point my car new 2018 MAZDA is quieter than some high end luxury cars.

Old 11-21-2018, 06:33 AM

Yeah, it could be the cold. I live in South Africa where its pretty hot all year round and just got a brand new CX-5 and there are absolutely NO rattles or squeaks in this car - it is rock solid over rough roads, speed bumps, and potholed roads.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:18 AM

I took it to the dealer for an oil change yesterday and told them my cargo area is making a loud noise every time I go over bumps and the guy said there is an active service bulletin on this. So they have to order new parts and will take care of it. Other than that, my cabin is pretty quit.

Old 11-26-2018, 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by MattMJB0188
I took it to the dealer for an oil change yesterday and told them my cargo area is making a loud noise every time I go over bumps and the guy said there is an active service bulletin on this. So they have to order new parts and will take care of it. Other than that, my cabin is pretty quit.
What year CX is this for?

Old 11-26-2018, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by dasrider
What year CX is this for?
Its a 2016 model year.

Old 12-30-2018, 03:32 PM

Having narrowing this issue down, it seems to be more of a creak near the passenger seatbelt holder. It's not that though because I've held it still and still hear the creaking noise. Anyone else have any similar issues?

Quick Reply: Interior cabin noise/rattle?