Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hood gas struts for 2021 CX-5

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2021, 11:17 AM

What is the difference between the Plus and Elite versions? The warranty?

Old 05-11-2021, 11:20 AM

If I remember right the Plus ones have a black finish and the Elite is a silvery stainless.

Old 05-11-2021, 11:42 AM

Duh! I guess that is the main difference. It also days the Elite has a 5yr warranty vs 4 on the plus. Not a big deal. I would prefer if they were plain on the barrel vs the REDLINE logo considering we aren't talking about a tuner car here. I found another option on Amazon for about the same price which is plain black (which looks a lot more OEM to me).

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by chickdr19; 05-11-2021 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:43 AM

To preference my response.... I have spoken to one of the owners from REDLINE about their struts and also some of the installations on various vehicles. We went in depth about high pressure strut cartridges and specials valve or control struts and shocks.

Originally Posted by chickdr19
What is the difference between the Plus and Elite versions? The warranty?
Yes I think you read that?
The struts cartridge internals are all the same it is only the exterior that is different between the choices.
But the additional year and chrome look was not for me.

Neither was spending the extra for the carbon fiber sleeve which I though made the strut fatter looking. But that was only a personal opinion.

I will add that REDLINES customer service is "OLD SCHOOL" where they feel the customer is TOP priority to satisfy and service.
I might also add that I have distributor accounts all over the world and could have assembled my own hood strut kit but REDLINE price point even at retail level was very nice and would have cost me about the same maybe a little less but I would not have thier struts which IMHO are some of the best for hood struts I have ever used! Based on how they were engineered.

Last edited by Callisto; 05-11-2021 at 11:48 AM.
Old 05-11-2021, 11:53 AM

[QUOTE=chickdr19;194680]Duh! I guess that is the main difference. It also days the Elite has a 5yr warranty vs 4 on the plus. Not a big deal. I would prefer if they were plain on the barrel vs the REDLINE logo considering we aren't talking about a tuner car here.
It is just a vinyl deal that removes easily if you looked carefully at the pictures I posted .

The amazon is still buying directly from them and you can actually contact them direct and tell them you saw their products on amazon and they will adjust the price. I would caution they REDLINE has *NO authorized DEALERS so make sure you but direct or you may not get or have trouble in the event a warranty concern arises!

*This was information from 3 weeks ago so I do not know if that changed since?

Old 05-11-2021, 11:58 AM

Duh! I guess that is the main difference. It also days the Elite has a 5yr warranty vs 4 on the plus. Not a big deal. I would prefer if they were plain on the barrel vs the REDLINE logo considering we aren't talking about a tuner car here. I found another option on Amazon for about the same price which is plain black (which looks a lot more OEM to me).

https://www.amazon.com/Autobahn88-Su...0751553&sr=8-8
LOL I don't think I ever even saw anything about the warranty. I got mine straight from the redline website.

I did kinda wish too that I could get plain black ones. I didn't care about the branding on my grocery getter. And to be honest with this being a new car the only time I'll probably ever see them is when I open the hood to add windshield washer fluid. The guys might ooh and aah when I get the oil changed too but that's about it lol

Old 05-11-2021, 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
To preference my response.... I have spoken to one of the owners from REDLINE about their struts and also some of the installations on various vehicles. We went in depth about high pressure strut cartridges and specials valve or control struts and shocks.

Yes I think you read that?
The struts cartridge internals are all the same it is only the exterior that is different between the choices.
But the additional year and chrome look was not for me.

Neither was spending the extra for the carbon fiber sleeve which I though made the strut fatter looking. But that was only a personal opinion.

I will add that REDLINES customer service is "OLD SCHOOL" where they feel the customer is TOP priority to satisfy and service.
I might also add that I have distributor accounts all over the world and could have assembled my own hood strut kit but REDLINE price point even at retail level was very nice and would have cost me about the same maybe a little less but I would not have thier struts which IMHO are some of the best for hood struts I have ever used! Based on how they were engineered.
Yeah I talked to the Redline guy and was really impressed.

When I ordered a second set for my mom's car and got the ones with the carbon fiber sleeves I wanted to put them on mine. Of course in trying to take them off to swap them I managed to bust one of the end caps that snaps onto the ball joints. I called up and he told me how to get them off without breaking them (too late for that!) and hooked me up with a set of replacements.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by GregP74
Yeah I talked to the Redline guy and was really impressed.

When I ordered a second set for my mom's car and got the ones with the carbon fiber sleeves I wanted to put them on mine. Of course in trying to take them off to swap them I managed to bust one of the end caps that snaps onto the ball joints. I called up and he told me how to get them off without breaking them (too late for that!) and hooked me up with a set of replacements.
I had the same issue when I swapped the trunk struts on another car I have. I had no idea how to get them off and thought the clips had to be popped to put the new ones on. Ended up destroying the clips and had to buy a second new set before figuring it out.

Old 05-11-2021, 01:51 PM

[QUOTE=Callisto;194682]
Duh! I guess that is the main difference. It also days the Elite has a 5yr warranty vs 4 on the plus. Not a big deal. I would prefer if they were plain on the barrel vs the REDLINE logo considering we aren't talking about a tuner car here.
It is just a vinyl deal that removes easily if you looked carefully at the pictures I posted .

The amazon is still buying directly from them and you can actually contact them direct and tell them you saw their products on amazon and they will adjust the price. I would caution they REDLINE has *NO authorized DEALERS so make sure you but direct or you may not get or have trouble in the event a warranty concern arises!

*This was information from 3 weeks ago so I do not know if that changed since?
I couldn't tell for sure but as I look now I can see that it's a decal. That is likely the way I will go and just remove the stickers. Does Redline do holiday sales? If so I may wait and buy them during that time.

Old 05-14-2021, 08:01 AM

Ordered a set of Redlines yesterday

Quick Reply: Hood gas struts for 2021 CX-5