Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hole in grille...

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2023, 10:47 AM
Default Hole in grille...

Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend has a 2021 CX-5 Touring Edition. She was driving on the highway and heard something hit the front. It turns out to be a hole in grill shown below. The car is fine and nothing internally is damaged. Her insurance said she could take it somewhere and pay a $500 deductible, or they can send her a check (not sure how much yet) and we can find our own place. I have a private mechanic who I will be showing this to along with her needing brakes. Anyone else have something similiar happen?

The hole is circled.

Old 09-25-2023, 11:17 AM

WT heck? Is that from an impact? Wow grills are generally very break resistant!

Old 09-25-2023, 11:18 AM

That grill is about a 3-4 hour replacement in labor alone.

Old 09-25-2023, 11:32 AM

Ugh...very nasty, most likely a large rock or bottle?
I once had an idiot coming towards me at 60mph, throw a Coke bottle out his window.
Yeah, I turned around and caught him and he finally pulled over.
Claimed he didn't see me, like that is an excuse for doing such a stupid thing.
I was driving a silver 3-month-old Toyota Celica GT and the bottle hit just at the hood headlight area breaking the headlight and denting the hood.
Glass all over the car along with some Coke.
Inch or two higher and wouldn't probably gone through the windshield and hit me or my wife.
His insurance paid but I never found out what the cops did to him.
As Cali said, it's not cheap to replace the Mazda grill it's costly and takes time to do it.
I'd really like to get a grill without the badge, not sure why manufacturers feel the need to put such large logo's on.
The only people who pay attention to such things already know who made it without the logo.

Old 09-25-2023, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Ugh...very nasty, most likely a large rock or bottle?
I once had an idiot coming towards me at 60mph, throw a Coke bottle out his window.
Yeah, I turned around and caught him and he finally pulled over.
Claimed he didn't see me, like that is an excuse for doing such a stupid thing.
I was driving a silver 3-month-old Toyota Celica GT and the bottle hit just at the hood headlight area breaking the headlight and denting the hood.
Glass all over the car along with some Coke.
Inch or two higher and wouldn't probably gone through the windshield and hit me or my wife.
His insurance paid but I never found out what the cops did to him.
As Cali said, it's not cheap to replace the Mazda grill it's costly and takes time to do it.
I'd really like to get a grill without the badge, not sure why manufacturers feel the need to put such large logo's on.
The only people who pay attention to such things already know who made it without the logo.
This is the best I could do until someone offers a grill that is better looking without beehive look or euro plate area.
Plus with all my other Mazda badges gone this messes with so called auto enthusiasts minds.

Oh and my AC is original AC grill Badge from the 1970"s production.

Old 09-25-2023, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
Hi Everyone,

My girlfriend has a 2021 CX-5 Touring Edition. She was driving on the highway and heard something hit the front. It turns out to be a hole in grill shown below. The car is fine and nothing internally is damaged. Her insurance said she could take it somewhere and pay a $500 deductible, or they can send her a check (not sure how much yet) and we can find our own place. I have a private mechanic who I will be showing this to along with her needing brakes. Anyone else have something similiar happen?

The hole is circled.
Not the grille but had a rock clip the black trim right below it on the highway. Had to get some touch up to try and clean it up. That must have been some rock or piece of debris that caused that hole.

Old 09-25-2023, 03:17 PM

Actually, in this case the “badge” houses the front radar emitter and receiver. I don’t know how large an area is needed for the radar, but most marques use a large logo in the grill anyway. IDC but to each his own.

Old 09-25-2023, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
Actually, in this case the “badge” houses the front radar emitter and receiver. I don’t know how large an area is needed for the radar, but most marques use a large logo in the grill anyway. IDC but to each his own.
True but it doesn't need to be that large and could probably have been integrated with windshield electronics in front of the rear-view mirror.
I prefer a mostly clean grill with maybe a small MazdaSpeed badge in lower driver-side corner.

Old 09-25-2023, 05:53 PM

I was actually pondering just throwing a badge there to cover it up. Her insurance basically said that they can give a list of providers and have us pay $500 on the deductible, or the insurance could send us a check (I believe it would be $500 since the insurance thinks the job will be at least $1k) and we could go to our own place of choosing while still paying the same deductible. We're gonna need brakes soon, so I'm thinking of just putting a badge and using the insurance money towards the brakes...

Old 09-25-2023, 06:21 PM

Being in MA one of these would work...
Hole in grille...-96e17273d671b30f3710c65ef26f78d3.jpg