Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HELP! Mazda CX5 (2016) endless problems

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2023, 02:48 AM
Unhappy HELP! Mazda CX5 (2016) endless problems

Hello all,

I am so desperate to get my CX5 to stop braking down, I purchased the car second hand from a Mazda dealer just coming up to 2 years ago and it has been the worst decision of my life. Within 6 months the air gas recirculation valve broke, costing me £1300 to repair at the dealership i bought it from (Stockport), my break calliper seems to stick intermittently causing the back tyre to heat up and sending me a warning message about my tyre pressure, its a blow out waiting to happen but when i take it to a garage they say there is not an issue. about 2 months ago my boot kept opening randomly whilst i was driving and now it doesn't open at all unless I open from inside manually. Further to this a light has come on today stating "Vehicle System malfunction" the car had not been used for a week as i had been on holiday so wonder if it is a battery issue? Throughout all of this Mazda Stockport have been NO help at all, the car had been serviced and maintained with them previously but have now washed their hands of the car and just keep quoting me silly amounts of money to fix it, which i just can't afford. I am at my wits end and need help, i just want a functioning car! Please can someone offer me some advice and also if there is anyone local (Bury, Lancashire) who can give me a diagnosis and fix the car that would be awesome.

Thanks so much,
A very sad Mazda owner.

Old 06-16-2023, 03:24 AM

Originally Posted by Llaunders
Hello all,

I am so desperate to get my CX5 to stop braking down, I purchased the car second hand from a Mazda dealer just coming up to 2 years ago and it has been the worst decision of my life. Within 6 months the air gas recirculation valve broke, costing me £1300 to repair at the dealership i bought it from (Stockport), my break calliper seems to stick intermittently causing the back tyre to heat up and sending me a warning message about my tyre pressure, its a blow out waiting to happen but when i take it to a garage they say there is not an issue. about 2 months ago my boot kept opening randomly whilst i was driving and now it doesn't open at all unless I open from inside manually. Further to this a light has come on today stating "Vehicle System malfunction" the car had not been used for a week as i had been on holiday so wonder if it is a battery issue? Throughout all of this Mazda Stockport have been NO help at all, the car had been serviced and maintained with them previously but have now washed their hands of the car and just keep quoting me silly amounts of money to fix it, which i just can't afford. I am at my wits end and need help, i just want a functioning car! Please can someone offer me some advice and also if there is anyone local (Bury, Lancashire) who can give me a diagnosis and fix the car that would be awesome.

Thanks so much,
A very sad Mazda owner.
1st, never ever buy another 5 year old vehicle. You pay alot of $$$ for an out of warranty vehicle and inherit all the problems.

Buy brand new with full warranty, or a 3 year used CPO with extended warranty or just get a 10-12 year old beater you can afford to fix up.

That being said, you need a second opinion. There are a lot of trustworthy mechanics out there but there are also a few that rig cars to malfunction so you keep coming back. There are bad apples in every profession.

Go to another mechanic.

The boot opening randomly could have been as simple as the key fob being depressed while in your pocket. I've found the Mazda key fobs are sensitive. I keep my key fob outside my pants in a jacket pocket instead and on the table while in the house.

The locked boot could also be simple. The Mazdas have a lockout feature. Check your manual to see what it is for your vehicle. Lastly if the battery was disconnected, it can cause the boot to lock. There is a procedure on the internet to disconnect battery and unlock boot/hatch.

On brake calipers, calipers eventually get old and stick especially if over 100,000 miles. Also, some model years had a tsb for bad calipers covered under warranty. The previous owner may never have had it fixed. If they won't fix free, then go get 2 new rear brake calipers and either install DIY if you are able or get a local mechanic to do it for you. At this point, you should check your rotors and pads and have them replaced if needed.

vehicle malfunction could be anything. Again have another mechanic look at it.

good luck.

Last edited by kilroy22; 06-16-2023 at 03:35 AM.
Old 06-16-2023, 05:54 AM

Sorry you're having so many problems. Most 5-year old cars are pretty reliable. Some have deferred maintenance unaddressed issues. Some have been wrecked or flooded or abused, which can lead to premature issues. You list quite a few different concerns, and it does not sound as though a mechanic other than the dealership has looked at the car. You should have a mechanic look at it and address those concerns, or sell the car and start over with another one. Nobody on the internet is going to be able to give you accurate diagnoses based on the information you've provided.

Old 06-16-2023, 07:44 PM

Kaehlin is correct. The multitude of issues could have been the result of a flooded vehicle, I don’t know if there is an equivalent to CarFax in the UK to check for this. If this was the case there is really nothing the OP can do to “fix” the problems. A seven-year-old vehicle shouldn’t have all these issues.

Unlike some here, I understand that not everyone in the world can afford to purchase a new or 3-year-old CPO vehicle. It appears that the OP was simply unlucky. I am truly sorry for him.

Old 06-17-2023, 04:59 AM

Thanks for the response. The car has only done 60000 miles too, as you say it should not be suffering so many issues at such a young age and low mileage.

Old 06-17-2023, 05:01 AM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
Kaehlin is correct. The multitude of issues could have been the result of a flooded vehicle, I don’t know if there is an equivalent to CarFax in the UK to check for this. If this was the case there is really nothing the OP can do to “fix” the problems. A seven-year-old vehicle shouldn’t have all these issues.

Unlike some here, I understand that not everyone in the world can afford to purchase a new or 3-year-old CPO vehicle. It appears that the OP was simply unlucky. I am truly sorry for him.
Thanks for the response, the car has only done 60000 miles, as you say for such a young car with low mileage I should not be experincing such issues.

I have booked into my local independent garage, I used them for previous cars and they were very fair and I never had any issues. I will update the thread when they diagnose the issue.

thanks

Old 06-17-2023, 12:49 PM

Sorry to hear about your problems.
Buying any used car, that doesn't come with a full warranty is always a gamble.
It's best to do due diligence before purchasing, things like checking Carfax or the like and having your or a reputable service tech do a full inspect and compression check.
Always purchase from a reputable dealer or used car facility.
I would recommend buying vehicles with at least a full year warranty remaining, many places can be found that offer reasonable loan/payment options to do this.
Another option if money is tight purchase cheap beater cars in the price range you can afford to "throw away".
Either way you are still rolling the dice on any used vehicle and ALL of us have gotten burned at least once.

Old 06-17-2023, 03:36 PM

I am sorry about you having so many issues. Going to an independent garage is a great idea. Although it's too late now, I would definitely recommend a thorough inspection of any used car before you buy. You might have saved yourself a lot of heartache, It's very unusual for a Mazda with so few miles to have so many problems.