Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Heavy Hood

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2022, 06:02 PM

How about a WRX-STI engine with carbon fiber hood

Old 10-27-2022, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
MY hood goes up every night!
We should start a thread about about what we would have like to have seen included on our MADZA when we purchased it..
20 years ago when I was buying older cars that had problems all the time I did too. I hate to admit it but these days I rarely open it up except to add windshield washer fluid or maybe check the oil before I take a drive in to Chicago (if it's been a while since I've had it changed.)

Old 10-27-2022, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by GregP74
20 years ago when I was buying older cars that had problems all the time I did too. I hate to admit it but these days I rarely open it up except to add windshield washer fluid or maybe check the oil before I take a drive in to Chicago (if it's been a while since I've had it changed.)
I understand totally. I am getting to the point that ground up builds, restorations and even semi modded cars , are either to expensive, to much work or I just have been there done it so many times it hard to get excited. The few things I have done on the MAZDA is more for fun and even with it I am waaaaaay behind in finishing several projects. LOL
And it is our daily driver .....LOL

Old 10-27-2022, 07:12 PM
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Callisto
I understand totally. I am getting to the point that ground up builds, restorations and even semi modded cars , are either to expensive, to much work or I just have been there done it so many times it hard to get excited. The few things I have done on the MAZDA is more for fun and even with it I am waaaaaay behind in finishing several projects. LOL
And it is our daily driver .....LOL
Most of the work I did was younger was with the stereo equipment, not the cars themselves. Over the years I had some real junkers that you had to check the oil and transmission fluid and god knows what else daily. I tell ya I've never been so happy as the first time I bought a car that was brand new and under warranty where I didn't discover a week or month later why someone else was getting rid of it!

Old 10-28-2022, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Think what you may Cali, but automakers most certainly peruse forums. They would be stupid not to considering the type of people who participate in forums (i.e. hard core fans who live and breathe their cars). Contrary to your opinion, there are others here who have something to offer the community.
Other than opinion, can you offer any proof of that?
My opinion is that product manufacturers (no matter the product) ever go to these types of forums on a "work" basis.
In fact, every place I've been employed you would be terminated if you checked out consumer forums during your actual work schedule.
I do know for a fact that many manufacturers do have people assigned to track information and answer questions on their business/company/corporate owned forums.
There is simply no reason, other than curiosity, for a manufacturer to visit a consumer-based/created forum.
If you want a manufacturer to include/remove/change/modify something about their product, then you should contact them directly.
There is virtually little reason for manufacturers to pay employees to peruse websites like this "for information" when they are already paying engineers and designers huge amounts of money.
My proof is that I have been employed in the manufacturing field (fabrication/computers/bioscience) my entire life.
I have never seen or heard of a department in any of the corporations that I worked having employees looking at consumer created forums for anything, especially product advice.
Each did have their own consumer/client forums, in which they were heavily invested monetarily and personnel wise.
Forums like ours here, have people offering suggestions, opinions and sometimes actual manufacturer advice.
If we really need to know something about our vehicles, we should be contacting the actual manufacturer.
But it's much easier to come on here to post or receive advice.
But we all need to realize we have no idea if any, if that advice is accurate or not, as anyone can be on consumer created forums.
They could be a great mechanic or a complete nutter, such is the world we live in.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Other than opinion, can you offer any proof of that?
My opinion is that product manufacturers (no matter the product) ever go to these types of forums on a "work" basis.
In fact, every place I've been employed you would be terminated if you checked out consumer forums during your actual work schedule.
I do know for a fact that many manufacturers do have people assigned to track information and answer questions on their business/company/corporate owned forums.
There is simply no reason, other than curiosity, for a manufacturer to visit a consumer-based/created forum.
If you want a manufacturer to include/remove/change/modify something about their product, then you should contact them directly.
There is virtually little reason for manufacturers to pay employees to peruse websites like this "for information" when they are already paying engineers and designers huge amounts of money.
My proof is that I have been employed in the manufacturing field (fabrication/computers/bioscience) my entire life.
I have never seen or heard of a department in any of the corporations that I worked having employees looking at consumer created forums for anything, especially product advice.
Each did have their own consumer/client forums, in which they were heavily invested monetarily and personnel wise.
Forums like ours here, have people offering suggestions, opinions and sometimes actual manufacturer advice.
If we really need to know something about our vehicles, we should be contacting the actual manufacturer.
But it's much easier to come on here to post or receive advice.
But we all need to realize we have no idea if any, if that advice is accurate or not, as anyone can be on consumer created forums.
They could be a great mechanic or a complete nutter, such is the world we live in.
I do believe you are correct. Many tech companies don't even seem to view the community forums that they create, leaving any assistance to the efforts of the other users on the forum. One partial exception is the Jeep Garage where there is a Jeep Cares group that does work for Jeep; however, they do not offer any technical assistance, only to assist users who are having difficulty getting service from the dealers.

Old 10-28-2022, 10:56 AM

A few things...
First top preference my experience having to do with struts. I have had over the years to make my own storage door and hood kits also steering and engine control dampeners engineered from scratch. I have also sold both retail and as a distributor though my various automotive business a few companies offering struts. The most common was DORMAN (helpline), TRW(serviceline) . For new projects I contacted USA manufactures and suppliers of small hydraulic high pressure struts. I learned right off that it requires knowing all technical information about the end use of the strut which is function operating angles dimensions and weights etc. Those numbers and measurements are then applied to an exact math formula to find strut needed for the task. The simple extend and collapsed basic measurements when struts were being more and more used on RV's i.e. motorhome manufactures and becoming commonly first seen equipped from Asian auto manufactures. REDLINE is a perfect example of struts specifically design for each application with very few "universal" struts. Those who have experience with hood struts may notice a few great features REDLINE has over many other offered kits. The struts have a varying rate of pressure and release specifically for each application. Most universal struts DO NOT have that. This is why they will fail in a short period of time or if the wrong strut is used will dame the door or hood.

This is why you should strongly consider to spend a little extra when thinking about adding a hood strut kit to your vehicle and not jump at the inexpensive kits on eBay, amazon and other source. There is a reason why they are so cheap and cheap is the key word.

Some dealers have an accessory line of various aftermarket part offering that they will sell and install. This is a convenience to many customers because they can get everything they may want on their new vehicle installed and warrantied from the dealer. It is many times more convenient then going to sever shops and having things installed. . One big aftermarket seller in some area's of the US and Canada is towing hitches.
Not all people have the tools or abilities to install various parts and accessories. I would guess IMHO based on all the customers over the decades returning damaged parts mis installed claiming defective or calling in the middle of an installation and needing HELP, 1 out of 100 have the tools, 1 out of 1000 have practical experience with the tools,1 out of 5000 have the experience with installing aftermarket parts and equipment.

Auto manufacture do not come to forums. I can tell you first hand having friends in the Engineering and product development management, Powertrain development and even in passenger interior and comfort engineering department of several auto manufactures like BMW, FORD and Chrysler they would laugh at the thought of using forum in any capacity. I would guess the majority of members often join to ask for help. Then there is the bitchers that have nothing to do except cry about what they didn't get from there dealer or some problem they feel the manufacture is neglecting them. The few percentage that join forum in camaraderie and to share the positive experience are actually the minority. Try to filter all this and use it in anyway be any auto manufacture would be a waste ot time. Thats why they send questionnaires and surveys out and NOT use forums. LOL MAZDA is good about that and I am sure most all of you got one emailed or sent in the mail about you new MAZDA!

Old 10-28-2022, 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
Do I don't have to prove anything to anyone on this forum..
I'm not Cali, though I could virtually be anyone, including him, as you or anyone else on here has no idea who I actually am.
I will say again that I am not, but to quote you, "I don't have to prove anything to anyone on this forum".
Personally, I would never utter such an alienating statement especially on a forum where people are asking for help.
Everyone else can make their own judgement.
You also comment "Why else would Mazda suddenly modify the seats for 22?", which is your opinion and perhaps that of others.
There are, however, any number of other plausible "opinions" other than consumer-based forums, for why they changed seats or anything else in a new model year for that matter.
I'm not saying your opinions are wrong or incorrect, but they are opinions be they mine, yours or anyone else's and they are not facts and should never be taken as that.
If anyone really wants to know why new year model changes are made, contacting Mazda engineering/design departments or even customer service to inquire as to why, would likely give you the factual basis for the change. Otherwise, we're all just guessing.
I would also add that very rarely is anything done "suddenly" in the manufacturing world.

Last edited by Lobstah; 10-28-2022 at 11:22 AM.
Old 10-28-2022, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by CEB
I suppose. Should I ever buy another Mazda I'll make sure it's equipped with wheels, tires, wipers, sparks plugs, A/C, Gas cap, hood struts, individual tire pressure monitoring, radio station controls on the steering wheel. You know ....all those special unique features that all good buyers should check for. Get real.
What are you? A Mazda salesman or just a Mazda fanboy
ROLMAO... Having personally owned over 150+ vehicle's so far in my life only about 4 were Mazda. When we were looking to add a family daily driver the list was based on having driven rental cars. A Honda, Ford and Mazda. The Honda was ridiculously priced and the body style for my taste was busy. The Ford had to many blind spots for my driving style and comfort and the body IMHO was sportily fugly. The Mazda look good fit me in the passenger compartment with almost no blind spots, and was somewhat sports car looking. The price point was perfect I had the green backs to pay for it in full. I did not like the incredible road noise and the slow throttle response comparing it to the Ford and Honda. I did not like the electric paring brake. And I did not like the white trim interior nor the gloss black panels. All of those have been addressed and corrected . LOL I might add that my Mazda has NEVER seen a dealer service department for anything!

As for the other snarky remark, I have been a car salesman one time in my life but it was for Cadilac, Oldsmobile GMC and Nissan.

Old 11-01-2022, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
How about a WRX-STI engine with carbon fiber hood
Ugh that is the car I wanted to buy but my wife said I was to old.....

Quick Reply: Heavy Hood