Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Drove the CX-5 This Evening

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014, 10:04 PM
Default Drove the CX-5 This Evening

Took my wife along - she hadn't been clued in I had been shopping - and not happy I was considering new wheels. Honestly, 6 months ago I wouldn't have looked at a crossover but after this most recent Minnesota winter I've opened the book on AWD vehicles.

Drove the Grand Touring w/Technology Package - the level I wanted but not the color. As expected, it's a bit choppy and shifts abruptly compared to her Camry Hybrid w/CVT. She didn't like it but I thought it looked better in person than in photos. Biggest complaint (from me) was the large box ahead of the rear view mirror. It really does take up a lot of visual real estate. I like the electronic gizmos but that's a big blind spot.

Back seat legroom was a bit tighter than I expected with the front seats slid back. Our 2 kids are grown and she feels they won't fit. Our college grad is living at home and our student lives 250 miles away so it's not like they'll be frequent occupants back there.

Sales rep says he'll have a desired Blue Reflex Mica GT w/Tech package in a few weeks. I told him I was 80% sold on the CX-5 but told the wife we'll look at the Lexus RX350. Yeah, I know the Lexus is about $10k more than the Mazda and I could only get into one of those via a lease. Wife and I work at the same location and commute via the hybrid so won't rack up miles in an SUV. I may also consider the lease on the CX-5.

So it's 80/20 Mazda vs. Lexus now. We'll take a look at the Lexus this weekend and make a decision then.

Last edited by Pipemajor; 05-17-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 05-16-2014, 09:45 PM

A coworker of mine drives the Lexus RX350....and he spends a ton more on gas than I do with my CX-5 GT.

Bon

Old 05-17-2014, 12:27 PM

I'd do some research on the Lexus RX350 as it may use the same drive train as the RAV4 V6. Tons of problems with that drive chain seen on rav4world.com. Transmission whine happens in all of them eventually. Water pump fails requiring lifting engine to replace. Rearend pinion seal is poor and bearing rust requiring new rearend. Other problems with rusting exhaust and lower A-frame. And the $5000 repair for variable valve train. I'm sure I left some out.

Old 05-17-2014, 03:28 PM
Default Bought It!

Put a deposit on a 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD w/Tech Package Blue Reflex Mica today. 36 month lease w/12,000 annual mile allowance. Got discounts from the CR Buying Service (same as Costco) plus a Mazda Owner Loyalty discount. Doesn't matter if my previous Mazda was bought 24 years ago - it still counts if you have the title or copy of current registration.

Dealer has one in his pipeline which includes a remote start. I don't necessarily need the remote start so he's working on a local trade for the above w/o remote start. If he can do a swap I'll get the car next week. If not then I get the remote start equipped model in 2 weeks.

Already looking at swapping out some interior/exterior bulbs for LEDs. Other than perhaps mud guards or all-season mats, no other mods anticipated with probable exception of the trailer hitch.

Zoom-zoom!

Old 05-22-2014, 09:42 PM

Originally Posted by Pipemajor
Put a deposit on a 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD w/Tech Package Blue Reflex Mica today. 36 month lease w/12,000 annual mile allowance. Got discounts from the CR Buying Service (same as Costco) plus a Mazda Owner Loyalty discount. Doesn't matter if my previous Mazda was bought 24 years ago - it still counts if you have the title or copy of current registration.

Dealer has one in his pipeline which includes a remote start. I don't necessarily need the remote start so he's working on a local trade for the above w/o remote start. If he can do a swap I'll get the car next week. If not then I get the remote start equipped model in 2 weeks.

Already looking at swapping out some interior/exterior bulbs for LEDs. Other than perhaps mud guards or all-season mats, no other mods anticipated with probable exception of the trailer hitch.

Zoom-zoom!
Sales guy said their local trade commitment deal fell through. They've offered the original vehicle w/RSE and will split the difference (their story and they're sticking to it). The vehicle arrived yesterday and I can take delivery this Saturday - 1 day after the Mazda Memorial Day sale starts. The sale chops another $500 off. Sure they'll be pushing extended warranty and GAP coverage pretty hard.

Old 05-24-2014, 01:34 PM

Leaving now to go pick up the new CX-5.

Done. Sitting in my driveway w/10 miles on the odometer. Just finished programming the Homelink.

Not one peep about forcing me into an extended warranty or GAP insurance. Simply sign and drive.

Last edited by Pipemajor; 05-24-2014 at 10:30 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 11:26 PM

Congratulations on you new car. Looks sharp and clean. Enjoy.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:12 AM

Very nice-enjoy. I am three weeks into mine and it is really growing on me. I loved my Mazda 6 Sportwagon and that is a tough act to follow. I love that color but in Texas I am staying with a cool white.