Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do I have cylinder deactivation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2021, 11:46 PM
Default Do I have cylinder deactivation?

I'm fairly new to this forum (previous Miata owner, and now CX-5). 3 months ago I bought a 2018 CX-5 prior to knowing about cylinder deactivation. From everything I see and read, the 2018 has CD, but I don't know if they ALL do. If mine has it, I don't know how to tell. I watched one YouTube video where you go into the Applications option on the screen, and select Fuel Economy Monitor, and it showed 4 cylinders that come on or off, depending on whether CD is activated, but when I went to that screen on my car, that particular view didn't come up, so I suspect my car does NOT have CD. I'd sure appreciate your insight. Thanks.

Old 08-09-2021, 05:06 AM

All 18+, U.S. model non turbo gasoline CX-5s have it. The display feature was added for '20 models.

Last edited by Chocolate; 08-10-2021 at 02:25 PM.
Old 08-09-2021, 09:18 AM
Default Thank you, Chocolate!

So presumably there is just no way to know if/when cylinder deactivation is happening?

Old 08-09-2021, 02:04 PM
BWJ

2020, 2.0 Skyactive G does not have CD.

Old 08-09-2021, 04:11 PM

All 2018 CX-5 North American models have cylinder deactivation AFAIK

Old 08-10-2021, 02:24 PM

To correct myself, all U.S. models. The 2.0 is a different engine. There's a Canadian model and presumably other markets that have non-turbo, 2.5L models without CD.

Old 08-10-2021, 07:50 PM
Default Thanks, Mazda NC Dude and Chocolate

Thank you for the clarification. So is there any way at all to tell when CD is active on a 2018 CX-5? No indicator light or special screen or anything else?

Old 08-11-2021, 12:42 PM

Unfortunately not. Do you have any concerns or bad experience with the CD kicking in and out? In my case I do not feel it at all and my MPG numbers are quite good. So no complaint on my side regarding CD.

Old 08-11-2021, 11:44 PM
Default No problems with Cylinder Deactivation, just curious

Thanks again, Mazda_NC_Dude. No, I don't have any issues with my Cylinder Deactivation, though I don't do much freeway driving so it doesn't come into play much, other than a round-trip visit to San Diego shortly after I bought the car, and I didn't notice anything then (and I may not have even known about CD that early). I was just curious if the car gives some kind of indication when CD is in play. Regarding your comment about mileage, as much as I love the car, I'm not thrilled with my mileage. As I noted, most of my driving is in town, and since I live in the desert, the A/C is on all the time. Still, I was hoping for better than what I'm getting. I figure my mileage manually each time I fill up, and compare it with the automatic figure the computer provides, and the real mileage is typically about .8 mpg lower than what the computer says (for example, 22.5 real vs. 23.3 computer). And though I have run the air pretty much 100% since May, I am a conservative driver with a very light foot. (One last note: I did get 30.2 mpg on the aforementioned round trip to San Diego which was all freeway, and that was according to both my manual figuring and the computer's estimate. I don't know how many drivers assume the computer's mileage figures are accurate, but clearly that's not necessarily so.

Old 08-12-2021, 03:01 PM

That mileage is a bit higher than I get on my 2014. Remember, these are not aerodynamic body designs.

Quick Reply: Do I have cylinder deactivation?