Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did you purchase or lease, what are your monthly payments?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Default Did you purchase or lease, what are your monthly payments?

Looking at the lease ending on our family 6. The 42 month lease was $299 as we went in a little negative. I would like to be at the same payment on the CX-5 as we no longer have negative...

Old 05-20-2014, 09:48 PM
Super Moderator

I have never leased a car. It used to make sense for small businesses to do this as it was a tax write-off, but his has been restricted since those days.
From my point of view, it makes no sense to lease as a private owner. The buy in is usually high, several thousand dollars, the payment only slightly lower if at all lower, and at the end you have nothing to show for it, except maybe a big bill for the wear and tear.
I knew one guy back in the 90's that leased a Pontiac... Grand Am I think it was. When he turned it in, the dealer said they needed to replace the seat cover because he allowed his dog to ride in it. They wanted an additional $550 for that, and that was only the one thing I remember them charging him for, but there were others.
It makes no sense to lease! They've got you by the ***** and you have virtually no rights and no ownership of the vehicle, but are responsible for maintenance and repairs just like any other car you'd actually own.
As we used to say.... Rookie move.

Old 06-01-2014, 04:37 PM

I just leased a 2015 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD w/Tech package and remote start. 36 months @ 12k miles per year. Monthly payments are $323 via Mazda's deal w/JP Morgan Chase.

Old 06-14-2014, 05:43 PM
Super Moderator

And if you had put 5-10% down (probably what the buy-in was anyway) and gotten a loan at your local credit union or bank, the payments probably would have been only slightly higher, and you would OWN the car.
As it is, you own nothing but are responsible for everything.
Sorry, but to me, that's a rookie move.

Old 06-14-2014, 08:05 PM

we have leased twice. 1996 mazda 626. i forget the payments, BUT, when the lease was up, i was still in new york(terrible place), and the car/wife was still in texas. so, to keep it simple, we just did a buy of the car, and kept paying. big mistake. later on, we tried to get a newer car, and trade the 626 in. we then were upside down. even mazda wouldnt give us squat on a trade in. we just leased a 2013 mazda 3 base. payments are 189/mo, 10k year. the year miles would suck for most, but since we are retired, we will turn in the car well below. but now we have to have full coverage, which adds to the cost. also, and we learned the hard way, a hailstorm beat up the car. so we had to have it fixed. ins paid some, we still had a deductible. and i now know that when we turn in the car, they are going to nickel/dime us. also, since i dont like the car, i cant get rid of it till the lease ends. also, i aint doing squat to this car, just the minimum required maintenance, that is it. if you like a new car every 3 years, and can keep under the mileage, then a lease is for you. but if you like to keep your car(we still have our 2 99 millenias), a lease sucks. i agree with virgin

Old 06-14-2014, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by virgin1

And if you had put 5-10% down (probably what the buy-in was anyway) and gotten a loan at your local credit union or bank, the payments probably would have been only slightly higher, and you would OWN the car.
As it is, you own nothing but are responsible for everything.
Sorry, but to me, that's a rookie move.
Uh-uh. Say the cost of the vehicle out the door was $31k and you made a $3k down payment leaving a balance of $29k financed over say, 60 months (5 years). Even at 0% terms, your payments would be over $500/mo. That's a LOT more than $323. And try to find a 0% loan for 5 years. You may be able to find a 3 year @ 0% which would make your payments $844/month.

Going rates for new car loans here are 2.3% for 60 months. That makes a monthly payout of $536/month.

True, at the end of the lease I have spent a bit under $15k and have no value left. At the end of a loan in the preceding paragraph I'd spent over $32k and have a car worth perhaps $10k. With a lease I only had use of the car for 3 years but had 5 years of transportation with the loan.

The math isn't that simple nor is the logic.

Old 06-14-2014, 09:51 PM

from another standpoint, we bought one millenia new in jan of 2000. cost was somewhere around 31k. we paid it off early, i think after about 36 months. and we still have it. so, no car payment for what, 11 years? the second one we bought used, i think it 2005, for 7k, paid cash up front. so, no car payment for 9 years. some like a new car every 2-3 years. we keep our cars. 15 year old cars, no nav, no bluetooth, no backup camera. sound system that would barely be basic nowdays. but no car payment. basic liability ins, 145/YEAR. and, for some like me, i can still work on them. which is kind of a hobby. i just finished changing out all the links and control arms on the rear of one. parts alone were over a grand. i already did the front, i also changed out all the shocks, springs, etc. i would hate to have a car i cant work on. and i hate the hassle of taking the car to the dealer for service. if you dont like to work on cars, a lease can be a good thing.

Old 06-15-2014, 09:29 AM

We bought a 2014 CX5 Grand Touring with a 0.9% 5 year loan from Mazda/Chase with virtually nothing down. We used a credit card for the down payment. Is this a great country or what? Payments are about $550 a month. We also added about $800 worth of accessories since purchase. I'm not sure how you do this with a lease but I imagine they have it figured out. I've never leased a car. Our previous Mazda was an MPV which we kept for 13 years and we only put about 7k miles a year on it.

Old 06-15-2014, 12:44 PM

My previous vehicle (which coincidentally happened to be a Mazda) was 1991 B-2600i 2WD SE-5 Cab+ pickup. I bought it new, paid cash for it - 1 payment for $11k - then drove it for nearly 24 years with no payments.

It was still running strong but rust had eaten away at it badly. My son had used it the last 3 years for college.

Vehicle prior to that was a new '78 Honda Accord I did lease (list price was $5700) because you simply couldn't find one on the lots. This one was the display car used at the Seattle Auto show that year. Monthly payments were around $157 then I bought the lease out after 2 years and drove it for another 11 miles after putting 224k miles on it. Of all the cars I've owned (grand total of 4), the Accord was simply the most enjoyable to drive. Manual 5 speed.

A lease is nothing more than a long term rental. I negotiated for a 12k annual mileage limit rather than the std 10k. Costs me about $100/year extra but the penalty for those extra miles would be $300/year.

Last edited by Pipemajor; 06-16-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 06-15-2014, 06:03 PM

I bought a 2015 soul red GT with tech for $28841 + T & L and traded in a 2013 Sonata I bought in December with a trade deficit of $2281 (I know, but I am so much happier with a SUV). I got 2.5% loan with a credit union for 72 months at $494 a month. I put $2000 down which went toward the trade deficit. I will start making higher payments to get it paid down quicker, my first payment is July 1st. The sonata was 2.99% for 72 months with $1200 down and payments were $389.

Quick Reply: Did you purchase or lease, what are your monthly payments?