Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Did some detailing this weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2021, 08:17 PM
Default Did some detailing this weekend

Did some detailing this weekend.......

Foam wash

Cleaned

Not the best pic to show true color

windows not yet cleaned, but a start

a view from the rear view mirror

It speaks for itself

Pinstriping on the hood

Another mirror shot no scratches here just that damn pollen

Hood reflection in my garage

Hood reflection outside my garage

Another one....

More accurate color

Clean... of course, not yet re-detailed

Last edited by bobm; 05-01-2021 at 08:21 PM.
Old 05-01-2021, 08:47 PM

Wow looks really good!!

Nice wash and detail job!

Old 05-01-2021, 09:21 PM

Next time you have a few few days, you can come over here to Ohio and do my three vehicles. Any time.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:47 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Wow looks really good!!

Nice wash and detail job!
I enjoy detailing - but to do it properly is very time consuming. Another thing I discovered is that wheel cleaner is better suited for the wheels, noy my eyes...

Old 05-01-2021, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
Next time you have a few few days, you can come over here to Ohio and do my three vehicles. Any time.
Hmmmnnn, thanks for the invite, but my 2 cars are more than enough for me to handle.

Old 05-01-2021, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by bobm
I enjoy detailing - but to do it properly is very time consuming. Another thing I discovered is that wheel cleaner is better suited for the wheels, noy my eyes...
Take it as a compliment for the excellent job you did.

Old 05-01-2021, 10:06 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
Take it as a compliment for the excellent job you did.
Yep, in my haste, I forgot to give Callisto a big thank you. And coming from him, with all his car expertise, it is a very high compliment.

Old 05-02-2021, 09:10 AM

Bob, I think you missed a spot.

Amazing what getting all the way down to the paint and eliminating the micro-scratches and -swirls can do for the looks. A lot of work, if done right. Doesn't surprise me that a decent detailing shop might charge $350+ for the exterior, if it's never been done before, and potentially as much as that for the interior.

Not a Mazda's paint, but here's an example of how a 25yr old Ford Mustang's gloss black paint can be rejuvenated. This car had never once been completely prepped, nor had the paint polished. Little other than basic washes and an occasional "wax" coat. Wash x2, neutralizing, wash, clay bar x2, wash, polishing (Menzerna 400, 1000, 2500, 3800), sealant x2. Damage to the paint was too severe to get much better, without going a rotary + wool. The owner wasn't interested in that level of resurrection.

Hood: before, and after.
Fender: before, and after.
Door panel: before, and after.

Am about to do much the same process with a 2016.5 CX-5 GT, skipping the 400-grit level (which it doesn't need). Starting with the Menzerna 1000, for peace of mind. It's all but impossible to see the micro-swirls on the Crystal White Pearl Mica, unless under fluorescent lighting and up-close, but it should look pretty great once polished and sealed, all the trim work is gone through, the interior fully detailed again.

Tip for black plastic trim: PreWow and BlackWow products (can be found at AutoGeek). (For initial prep of the surface, then rejuvenation of the plastic.) Eliminates most minor oxidation and grayish "haze" on black plastic trim, head and shoulders above any other treatment I've previously used on any trim work. Not inexpensive, but just a little dab'll go a very long way.

Last edited by GAsierra; 05-02-2021 at 09:26 AM.
Old 05-02-2021, 10:11 AM

Thanks.
There are so many more products available today then before, sealants, ceramic coatings, now graphene coatings that can easily lead one to fall into that rabbit hole. I do it sometimes as I have more products than I would ever need, but for me it's not all that an expensive a "hobby." Lots of great products and I have long ago stopped with the waxes. I use coatings and longer lasting sealants instead. Offers way more protection and although more labor intensive up front, it does save lots of time down the road (no pun intended) with the regular maintenance (car washing).
Of course all the benefits can and will be negated by running your car through the commercial car washes. In short order, those powerful chemicals will at best weaken and at worst destroy the coating and will for sure - particularly in the drying phase where attendants use the cheapest and dirtiest micro fibers out there, induce swirls. Then again, most people have other things to think about then having and maintaining a car in such a fashion.

I did use Carpro CQUARTZ DLUX for all plastic trim as I have used it before and lasted for a few years. I'm also going to remove the sealant I have on my windshield and replace it with a Gtechniq coating.

Old 05-03-2021, 09:44 AM

Very nice job, that Machine Gray is a neat color and your now is glistening, and the red pinstripes set it off nicely. I too have a garage cabinet full of products and enjoy spending a day now and then making my car look better than new. Just got my CX-5 so haven't had a chance to give it a good going over, but soon. Looking forward to it!

Quick Reply: Did some detailing this weekend