Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cx5 runs badly - rough idle - no power

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2019, 11:50 AM
Default cx5 runs badly - rough idle - no power

2015 CX5 (2 L) with 126,000 miles. Has new plugs, new coils, fresh oil and filter. The idle is very lumpy....it has no power and won't go over 30 mph.
Engine light on, and tire warning sometimes. Car has also new battery, which improved the problem for a short while.
I thought to replace the EGR valve. Now I wonder if the car has one?? Nobody on line is offering an EGR valve for this car. This has been very reliable up to now; we have no extreme weather.....
I have an electronic code finder - what codes should I expect to see??
Any help would be appreciated.
D

Old 03-15-2019, 06:12 PM

Why don't you scan for codes and then tell US what you find. Instead of speculating about what could be anything. You describe an engine that's in limp home mode and, as such, should not be driven that way. Who's been doing the work on the car up to now? Does he know what he's doing? Have you taken it to the dealer for proper diagnosis?

Old 03-16-2019, 03:19 AM
Super Moderator

Without scanning for codes you are simply pissing in the wind.

Old 03-17-2019, 09:21 AM

I agree with these guys.. if you don't scan the CODE.. you are simply GUESSING what is wrong.. and up to this point, you have been wrong ....

Old 03-20-2019, 12:14 PM

Good advice so far. Your car is definitely in limp home mode, or as I've heard it called (more appropriately) engine protection mode. Stop throwing parts at it hoping the next one will fix the issue. Step back and troubleshoot or bring it somewhere that will do this for you.
Since the check engine light is on there will be some codes stored and your code reader should at least be able to show you engine codes that were stored and often freeze frame data (engine conditions when the code was set). Just be aware that engine fault codes don't tell you what to replace they only tell you what is out of range. The codes you see will help you focus on an area so you might more quickly find the source of the problem. Test twice, fix once.