Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cx5 liftgate locking system

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 10:05 AM
Question Cx5 liftgate locking system

I have noticed that because of my keyless entry system, I cannot check to see if the lift gate ts secured when I lock the car. If I pull on a door handle they do not open. But if I pull on the lift gate, it opens. I have to hand my key fob to someone else, let them walk out of range, and then check to see if the lift gate is locked. I don't like this "trust it" situation. Not in some of the areas we have to park. I want to be able to double check that it is locked
Is there a dealer setting to change this? Please

Old 10-16-2012, 05:44 PM

But don't you want to insure that all the doors and the liftgate are locked? If so push the lock button twice on remote, the (loud) horn sounds on second push to let you know everything is locked.

Last edited by CX-SV; 10-19-2012 at 04:41 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:44 PM

I just went out and tried mine. All 4 doors, and hatch locked with the first push of the lock button.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:58 PM

Originally Posted by J0r0b0

I have noticed that because of my keyless entry system, I cannot check to see if the lift gate ts secured when I lock the car. If I pull on a door handle they do not open. But if I pull on the lift gate, it opens. I have to hand my key fob to someone else, let them walk out of range, and then check to see if the lift gate is locked. I don't like this "trust it" situation. Not in some of the areas we have to park. I want to be able to double check that it is locked
if you have the key on you, the rear hatch will always open, because it knows you are trying to open it. i know the logic isn't perfect. but that's how it works. you can tell if the hatch is securely closed (which will be locked, if you "lock" it automatically or manually) by checking the red led signal that tells you if any of the door is open in the dash.

since we are on this topic, i find that if you (with the key) close your door and leave, while passenger is slow and closed their door after yours, your car will NOT lock automatically. this is again a stupid logic.

Old 07-08-2017, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by J0r0b0

This is a very confusing post with conflicting responses. i do not know what year your CX-5 is, but I have a 2014 GT and when I lock the doors the liftgate locks as well. Even if I have the key in my hand (or pocket) the only way to open it is too unlock it with the fob then open. If your liftgate does not lock I would check to see if there is a setting incorrect.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:58 AM

Originally Posted by AZJoeD
This is a very confusing post with conflicting responses. i do not know what year your CX-5 is, but I have a 2014 GT and when I lock the doors the liftgate locks as well. Even f I have the key in my hand (or pocket) the only way to open it is too unlock it with the fob then open. If your liftgate does not lock I would check to see if there is a setting incorrect.
The confusion stems from the fact with the keyless entry system like my 2016 has, if the key fob is in your pocket the rear gate will open. If someone has doubts, press the lock button. When I have tried to open the gate without the fob, it's a no go, so I assume it's normally locked. If I drop my wife at the house before parking the car, I have to hit the unlock button on the door before she can open the lift gate, say to get a bag of groceries out of the back.

Of course, we all could read our manuals and double check the options.

Old 07-09-2017, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by AZJoeD
This is a very confusing post with conflicting responses. i do not know what year your CX-5 is, but I have a 2014 GT and when I lock the doors the liftgate locks as well. Even if I have the key in my hand (or pocket) the only way to open it is too unlock it with the fob then open. If your liftgate does not lock I would check to see if there is a setting incorrect.
It sounds like you don't have the AKE system. With the AKE you never have to take the fob out of your pocket to lock, unlock or start the car.