Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

Cx5 engine failure, avoid this model

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2023, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by retread888
The other consideration is buying used - and unfortunatly , chain of custody on a vehicle is paramount - Was it a rental ? Was it in an accident that was not reported , Was it abused and driven irresponsibly- by the previous OR current owner ?

I'll add "was the car ever sold at an auction" to that list.

Old 08-15-2023, 02:25 PM

I mentioned in another thread that the cracked cylinder head problem apparently has not been fixed. My brand new 2022 Mazda CX-5 with only 13,000 miles on it (that I bought in March 2022) had to have the cylinder head replaced because of a crack and leaking oil. It is not the turbo. The tech checked with the hotline and it was indeed the ongoing issue with the defective cylinder heads. I'm posting this just to make people aware that it is still happening, I just don't know what the percentage is. It's enough that they (warehouse or dealer, I'm not sure which) stock ready-to-replace cylinder heads so that it is a quick replacement.

2022 CX-5 2.5 S Preferred with a skyactiv engine, not turbo.

Old 08-15-2023, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by DianeJinOK
I mentioned in another thread
2022 CX-5 2.5 S Preferred with a skyactiv engine, not turbo.
I recommend that you Start your own personal thread , really posting the same information on the same day in three different threads? ROLMAO..
My guess you are new to forums and basic forum etiquette or common sense posting ?

Old 08-15-2023, 02:48 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
I recommend that you Start your own personal thread , really posting the same information on the same day in three different threads? ROLMAO..
My guess you are new to forums and basic forum etiquette or common sense posting ?
Are you a MOD here? If not. STFU.

Old 08-15-2023, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by RobinColes
My daughter bought a 3 year old cx5, she has had it just over 2 years. It has done just over 50k miles and has a full service history. The cylinder head has cracked resulting in total engine failure and a bill of £10k, for a car worth perhaps £12k. Its 3 months out of warranty and mazda have been completely and utterly unhelpful.

I would advise anyone looking at a cx5 and mazda in general to look elsewhere.

A failure of this type after 50k miles is completely unacceptable on a modern car.

Do not buy a cx5!
Yes - now it appears three different names continuing the same thread ? This was the opening thread - " I bought a 3 year old CX-5"
now another post saying it was purchased brand new-? when new members post information thats incomplete , inconsistent and inaccurate ...it becomes suspect based the plethora of knowledge and experience the members here have- in other words - we have a BS meter and this one set it off -

Old 08-15-2023, 03:39 PM

Well, actually, you did sort of hit the nail on the head. I am new to forums, I figured that the people asking the questions might not spend the time to look at a lot of threads. And I'm a 69-year-old woman; not senile by any means, but did not grow up with technology and forum etiquette. Never too old to learn!

Old 08-15-2023, 03:57 PM

Well, actually, you did sort of hit the nail on the head. I am new to forums, I figured that the people asking the questions might not spend the time to look at a lot of threads. And I'm a 69-year-old woman; not senile by any means, but did not grow up with technology and forum etiquette. Never too old to learn!
I read over and looked at your member info.. I can understand what you say and Welcome you again to the forum. We have the most accurate empirical and data proven responses for most any Mazda subject over IMHO and also belonging to the other Mazda forums. While I do respect your age, I have to say you are not old by any means by todays standards. Age also seem to carry misconception and younger people still think they now more than older people. LOL
Your repeated response may or may not be removed depending on how the forums see's them as either on topic or going to far off topic on a subject well covered in several other long ongoing threads?

I might add that most will agree starting a forum with a negative about the vehicle we are all enthusiasts about is also not the best way to make forum friend's and followers. If I were to give advise about a what to do when joining a new forums is start a introduction thread and then participate on a few threads in a "POSITVE" manor and get to know the regular members before posting negative information especially about issue that have not been established by the auto manufacture as a cause.
I was sorta of on this threads title when it was first started. And wee can see the member did a kamikaze approach to joining a new forum. Joined beeeetched and 3 responses later has not returned? Was he a real person or a trouble maker from another forum or this one as an alias just wanting to create more negativity with unconcerned information and very little facts? Most I address don't lie btw for a few reading this!

Old 08-15-2023, 06:07 PM

Not to draw this out any longer than necessary, but I agree with you. I should not have been so negative, especially in my first post. I reread my post, and it came out a lot more negative than I had intended. I do have sort of an explanation, though. My previous car (not a Mazda) was only a year old, and I got rid of it because the entertainment/electronic system started acting up (screen would go blank, and I read that after some time the whole dashboard could go blank), and after some research found out it had been an ongoing problem for several years and they still didn't know what was causing it or how to fix it (it happened to my daughter's car of the same make but different model that was only a year or two old, and they got rid of theirs, too). So, in looking for a different but comparable SUV, I read a lot of wonderful reviews about the Mazda, and it was rated highly by Consumer Reports. So after only having my previous car for a year before a major issue started happening that they didn't yet know how to fix, I bought the Mazda CX-5 thinking I had dodged a bullet with my previous car. And now after only a year, my new Mazda had a major problem that had been going on for a few years. I couldn't believe it, and it was just so disappointing to me.

So, there is my excuse. Anyway, it's a nice little vehicle--dare I say cute?--and fun to drive. (BTW, has anyone heard if they will go back to a touch screen? How long does it take to get used to the ****? I'm not there yet.)

Old 08-15-2023, 06:47 PM

Im not feeding the monkey anymore ..out

Old 08-15-2023, 06:47 PM

Not to draw this out any longer than necessary, but I agree with you. I should not have been so negative, especially in my first post. I reread my post, and it came out a lot more negative than I had intended. I do have sort of an explanation, though. My previous car (not a Mazda) was only a year old, and I got rid of it because the entertainment/electronic system started acting up (screen would go blank, and I read that after some time the whole dashboard could go blank), and after some research found out it had been an ongoing problem for several years and they still didn't know what was causing it or how to fix it (it happened to my daughter's car of the same make but different model that was only a year or two old, and they got rid of theirs, too). So, in looking for a different but comparable SUV, I read a lot of wonderful reviews about the Mazda, and it was rated highly by Consumer Reports. So after only having my previous car for a year before a major issue started happening that they didn't yet know how to fix, I bought the Mazda CX-5 thinking I had dodged a bullet with my previous car. And now after only a year, my new Mazda had a major problem that had been going on for a few years. I couldn't believe it, and it was just so disappointing to me.

So, there is my excuse. Anyway, it's a nice little vehicle--dare I say cute?--and fun to drive. (BTW, has anyone heard if they will go back to a touch screen? How long does it take to get used to the ****? I'm not there yet.)
I completely understand you posting the way you did. You have been pretty unlucky to have issues in two recently purchased cars. The head issue you experienced was thought to have been resolved by 21/22 from what I have read, so this is pretty disheartening. I would also be coming to forums for possible support if this happened to me. The good thing is, it is unlikely you will get two heads with the same issue, so I suspect your leak will be resolved with the repair. I hope you end up having a positive experience with the CX-5 over time.

Quick Reply: Cx5 engine failure, avoid this model