Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cx5 2023 Sig scratch removal?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2023, 06:08 AM
Default Cx5 2023 Sig scratch removal?

Just bought two weeks ago and I already see a scratch. Not deep, but it's noticeable. Any DIY ways to "remove?"

Old 08-21-2023, 08:09 AM

If it's a light scratch, some rubbing compound followed by wax should work. Don't be overly aggressive, paint and clearcoat aren't very thick.

Old 08-21-2023, 10:12 AM

Dont use rubbing compound.

Rubbing compound is too aggressive for the MAZDA paint and finish. Use only a polish and some elbow grease power. Make sure you use a lint free rag to apply the polish and another to polish it off. Don't press hard with your figure tips. You do not need to go in a circular motion with better quality polishes and most will instruct you to apply and polish off without pressing hard. It may take a few applications to get the scratch to the point it is not so seen. If the scratch remains you can use a clay bar to get the edges of the scratch and then polish it. Use a fine grade clay bar. If you have not used a clay bar before reading up how to use one.

Old 08-21-2023, 01:57 PM

The first scratch is always the most annoying ,and just the beginning of what's to come . If your going to drive it your going to get scratches and dings . Most people do more damage trying to buff it out. I have a system, leave it alone ,and fix it just b4 you sell it . that way you only have to deal with it once . Chances are there will be a number of scratches after a couple of years ,and your better off letting a good body shop deal with it just B4 you sell it.

Last edited by THE CHIEF; 08-21-2023 at 01:59 PM. Reason: ok
Old 08-21-2023, 02:33 PM

I know I will be stepping in the pervertible dog crap responding to the last member but really some things are a bit extreme in thought? IMHO
They just bought their new Mazda 2 weeks ago so while I get the idea, but I think most all of us would tend to disagree and take care of even small scratches for at least the first year of new ownership.
Auto Body Shops to paint a single door will run about 300 -600 dollars. A complete car about 4-7000 dollars with no dents or at least anly a few small door dings. So not sure where the logic in having an autobody shop tend to the body finish before you sell it?

Old 08-21-2023, 02:46 PM
Default Simple

It's simple ,the vehicle will bring more $ without scratches and dents. Repairing them as you get them ,you take the chance of having to repair them twice or more.

Old 08-21-2023, 03:27 PM

I have had really good results with this product:
Amazon Amazon

Not too aggressive.

Old 08-21-2023, 03:57 PM

These water based paints mazda uses look good when new,but just aren't as durable as the old solvent based paints. Back in the day( 1995) i painted a 1970 BMW 2002 with orange Dupont Imron paint . I saw the car in May ,and it still looks like new . That stuff really is tough. It is much tougher and scratch and chip resistant .

Old 08-21-2023, 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by THE CHIEF
These water based paints mazda uses look good when new,but just aren't as durable as the old solvent based paints. Back in the day( 1995) i painted a 1970 BMW 2002 with orange Dupont Imron paint . I saw the car in May ,and it still looks like new . That stuff really is tough. It is much tougher and scratch and chip resistant .
It is all the auto manufactures
3 letters why...
EPA

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency | US EPA

Old 08-21-2023, 05:54 PM

I keep almost all my things pristine.
I buff all scratches and repair all dings in all my vehicles (and everything else) as soon as I notice them. (excluding myself and my clothes)
I don't like to be seen in dirty vehicle unless it's an off road one.
Unfortunately, that's why I'm the one who always seems to get chauffeur duty with my vehicles on friend/family nights out.

Quick Reply: Cx5 2023 Sig scratch removal?