Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 vs CX-9

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2022, 10:34 PM
Default CX-5 vs CX-9

Has anybody here driven both the CX-5 and CX-9? Myself and the GF are both 6 foot. I'm all torso and she's all leg. however, the one short coming on the CX-5 is I've wished a few times for more interior room. I'm pretty happy with my CX-5, but I'm playing with getting something newer.

The last time I was at the dealer, I asked what was different between the CX-5 and CX-50. The service advisor said the CX-50 has more ground clearance, a lower roof and is a little wider inside. My CX-5 does just fine on the roads I transit, although parts are wearing out sooner than most peoples. I don't go muddin;, but I have been off road on grass and woodland.

I like the 2.5 I've got in the 5. I'm wondering if it's as peppy in the 9.

Old 06-13-2022, 08:15 AM

I've owned both.....essentially the same car, longer, 3rd row seating....both pretty much drive the same

Old 06-13-2022, 04:32 PM

Originally Posted by ALAN553
I've owned both.....essentially the same car, longer, 3rd row seating....both pretty much drive the same

I wonder what fuel penalty for the larger car. Running on the interstate, I get 27 mpg but slow down on state roads with the cruise set I get 31-32 mpg.

Old 06-13-2022, 07:25 PM

Most places note a 4mpg difference with CX-5 getting better mileage.
It's smaller and weighs less so that stands to reason.
So far, I haven't gone below 30mpg with 2020 even when using sport mode and paddle shifters.
I was lucky to get 28mpg anytime with my Honda CR-V

Old 06-14-2022, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Grouch
I wonder what fuel penalty for the larger car. Running on the interstate, I get 27 mpg but slow down on state roads with the cruise set I get 31-32 mpg.
ya either need the extra room or ya don't. if ya need to put 7 people in the car, its going to cost you.

Old 06-14-2022, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
Most places note a 4mpg difference with CX-5 getting better mileage.
It's smaller and weighs less so that stands to reason.
So far, I haven't gone below 30mpg with 2020 even when using sport mode and paddle shifters.
I was lucky to get 28mpg anytime with my Honda CR-V

I've played with Sport mode a couple of times. I haven't used the manual shift mode yet. It seems to strain the engine more than necessary. I don't like to use my equipment up early. An old habit from my racing days. Guys would do donuts and burn outs then they wouldn't have any tread left. As heavy as my car gets used, it doesn't get abused.

Old 06-14-2022, 01:52 PM

#Maxda struggles with #CX-9 model.
I think either you make peace with #CX5 or find something else.
You will be suffering from a under power, more gas and ofcourse resale value.

And yes, both models suffer from a defective #NAVCard issue- you may encounter it today or tomorrow.
Just keep that in mind Mazda do have this issue.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:05 PM

I always thought of the cx9 as a big cx-5 - What NAV card issue ? Mine has been working fine so far for the 50 I paid for it on Amazon.

Old 06-14-2022, 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Subperson
I always thought of the cx9 as a big cx-5 - What NAV card issue ? Mine has been working fine so far for the 50 I paid for it on Amazon.
Yes, Nav Card is big issue with Mazda - can u share source so that I could also get one ?

Old 06-14-2022, 05:18 PM

Originally Posted by rockaclimba
#Maxda struggles with #CX-9 model.
I think either you make peace with #CX5 or find something else.
You will be suffering from a under power, more gas and ofcourse resale value.

And yes, both models suffer from a defective #NAVCard issue- you may encounter it today or tomorrow.
Just keep that in mind Mazda do have this issue.

You aren't woofin' on the navigation system. When I bought the car, they had just put the card in the system and said anytime I needed an update, just put it in a computer connected to the internet. I did that once and was told to purchase content. Since it WILL NOT enter an address in another state, I just use my Garmin from my old motorhome. If I've already been someplace, it'll go there no problem. I want to go to an address in Carmi Il., about 20 miles as the crow flies from my house, it kept trying to send me to Carmel Ind., about 190 miles from where I was.

I like the looks of the interior on the CX-9, but I don't know if I like it enough to get rid of my CX-5.

Quick Reply: CX-5 vs CX-9