Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 Transmission whine due to Trans bearing?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2023, 08:45 AM
Default CX-5 Transmission whine due to Trans bearing?

2014 CX-5 AWD 140,000 miles. Skyactiv Automatic 6 speed.

Hi, It appears that I may have the dreaded transmission bearing whine as described in TSB NUMBER: 05-002/19 ( https://www.brakeandfrontend.com/maz...tic-transaxle/ )

The symptoms seem identical. The high pitched Whine only changes with vehicle speed. Turning the wheel does not effect it at all (so I don't suspect a wheel bearing). At 60mph and above, it is not really discernable due to other road noises (or the pitch increases past where my old ears can hear it ).

I am well past any warranty, so although they say it is " is caused by a damaged bearing in the transaxle due to improper configuration of the transaxle case. " it is not a recall, so it appears I am stuck with the cost. The fix is specified as replacing the transmission.

I think Mazda would want $6000 to do this, so I am leaning toward a used transmission.

But, I am interested in what others may have experienced. Is there any other source of such a high pitched whine? (universal joints, axel?, don't think it is tire noise as it does not change at all with toad surface changes)

What was the cost? (dealer? Used?) Does Mazda help at all?

Has anyone replaced the trans themselves? ( I have replaced clutches on FWD cars, but am leaning toward having someone else to do it, but if easy and light enough, may do it myself)

Does anyone supply rebuilt Skyactiv transmissions?

Uggh,

Thanks,

Larry

Uggh

Old 11-16-2023, 09:46 AM

Each problem must be analyzed and really cannot be compared to other especially with those miles in excess of 100K. The TSB is designed for MAZDA and Mazda Technicians.

Most all transmission problems past the 100K mark are generally due to the lack of maintenance of the transmission and not by any defect. Unfortunately, Mazda like many other auto manufactures since about 2001 claim no service or lifetime transmission and no service needed. This may be true but once these transmissions are out of the warranty with no service, they will in a high percentage of cases start to have problems.

I directly see this weekly in the service shop that customers come in with high milage transmission ever being service and get a estimate for thousands of dollars. Most all look shocked, leave with some returning after going to other shops that concluded the same thing and a hefty estimate.

My advice is to have either MAZDA or a specialty TRANMISSION service shop look at your transmission. Or have the transmission pan dropped for a filter and pan fluid service which can reveal a lot about the condition of your transmission.

Naturally a DIY can pull a small amount of ATF from the dip stick area and send it in to have the oil analyzed which can paint the picture (so to say) about the condition of the transmission.

ASE

Old 11-16-2023, 09:46 AM

Larry

Welcome to the forum

Old 11-16-2023, 08:03 PM

Yeah, I don't buy that lifetime transmission fluid story either. I did a fluid change at 80,000 miles, FZ fluid. Was planning on doing it again at 160,000. But, I don't know that a fluid analysis will tell me if a bearing is bad. The transmission works flawlessly, no a bit of shifting issues.

The only issue is the noise. I may do another fluid change just for the heck of it.

Last edited by LarryNH914; 11-16-2023 at 08:06 PM.
Old 11-17-2023, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by LarryNH914
Yeah, I don't buy that lifetime transmission fluid story either. I did a fluid change at 80,000 miles, FZ fluid. Was planning on doing it again at 160,000. But, I don't know that a fluid analysis will tell me if a bearing is bad. The transmission works flawlessly, no a bit of shifting issues.

The only issue is the noise. I may do another fluid change just for the heck of it.
Did you start getting the whine noise directly after you did the fluid change, or just randomly?

Old 11-17-2023, 09:47 AM

Well actually an oil analysis may. One reason I don't think based on the short problem description why it is not a "bearing vs a bushing is your description of the sound and when it occurs. So here again oil analysis would show any material having to do with wear of either types of shafts bearing? Thats why I suggested it at your miles the oil analysis.
Keep in mind that you need to forget everything you think or may know about automatic transmission when it comes to the Mazda's Skyactiv transmission and how it operates and the internal parts. These are vastly different from automatic transmission from a few decades ago.
ASE

Old 11-17-2023, 09:57 AM

It happened 60,000 miles after the fluid change. I guess I will drop the pan just to get a look.

Did drive 1.5 hours the other day at 70mph, and seemed a bit better.... But probably because I am getting used to it.

An oil analysis may tell me what is wrong, but it is not like anyone can muck around with this AT, Seems like if anything is wrong, Mazda says replace Trans.

That being said, does anyone actually services these transmissions?

Old 11-17-2023, 11:39 AM

It happened 60,000 miles after the fluid change. I guess I will drop the pan just to get a look.

Did drive 1.5 hours the other day at 70mph, and seemed a bit better.... But probably because I am getting used to it.

An oil analysis may tell me what is wrong, but it is not like anyone can muck around with this AT, Seems like if anything is wrong, Mazda says replace Trans.

That being said, does anyone actually services these transmissions?
Hmm funny I have already disassembled 2 of these completely. One was to engineer and modify it?
Unless you know what to look for and it is not absolutely obvious dropping the pan to find the issue is not going to get most DIY anywhere.
You could hover take it to a shop have them hoist it up free wheel the tire and wheel and do a sound check with *specialized equipment to hear specifically where the sound is coming from?
Or spend a few bucks and get an oil analysis. Its not that difficult a concept these days?

* DIY specialized sound locator

Old 11-17-2023, 11:54 AM

More info on diagnostic noise tools.
#post 5

98 626 2.5L Clacking Noise - Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

ASE

Old 11-17-2023, 11:56 AM

More information about Transmission oil analysis

Transmission | Blackstone Laboratories (blackstone-labs.com)

Transmission

Blackstone Laboratories > Engine Types > TransmissionAutomatic transmissions ask a lot of the oil. Not only does the oil lubricate and clean internal parts, but it also functions as a hydraulic oil to operate various components.

Transmission oil can be contaminated with metals, solids, and moisture, and those contaminants need to be removed before they cause problems. Conversely, a test of your transmission fluid may reveal that it’s still in great condition, and you don’t need to change it as often as you thought.

There’s no easier way of knowing what’s going on in the system than oil analysis. We can tell you if the oil needs to be changed, if it’s contaminated, or if there are any problems at hand. Request your free kit today and make sure your drive train is wearing as it should!
__________________________________________________ _______________________

ASE

Quick Reply: CX-5 Transmission whine due to Trans bearing?