Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 in snow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2020, 11:34 AM
Default CX-5 in snow?

I am used to driving Audi's and Subaru's for the last so many years and their AWD 's systems are pretty well established as some of the best. How's the WD system in the CX-5 doing in snow, ice and or heavy rain? I know much depends on the tires but how capable is this one in said conditions?

Old 12-05-2020, 04:15 AM

Handles it well, better than the Subaru forester in my opinion.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:55 AM

Originally Posted by Reggaetrix
Handles it well, better than the Subaru forester in my opinion.
Thanks!! Can you elaborate?

Old 12-06-2020, 02:53 AM

I have been running Toyo Celsius tires on my CX5 and I had a coworker having a really hard time getting out the parking lot with his Forester it just keep digging in instead of cutting through the snow. While my CX5 was going through it like it’s was butter. Maybe I am just a better driver in the snow than him. But he really was having trouble

Old 12-16-2020, 06:56 AM

Well with about 12"+ of snow expected this afternoon into tomorrow, I guess I'm going to find out how this car handles in snow. I only wish that I would have ordered my Vredestein All Season tires a day earlier. Proper tires are as much or more important in snow than AWD.

Old 12-16-2020, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by bobm
Proper tires are as much or more important in snow than AWD.
I absolutely agree on having good winter tires. In October I put on a brand new set of TOYO Observe Gsi6 (on 17 inch wheels). The CX-5 has performed very well in the snow. We had a dump of 12 to 15 inches in November that kind of drifted in places before the streets got cleaned up. Cars were stranded all over the streets and freeway ditches. The CX-5 with the clearance, the AWD, and the good tires just walked right through the snow and drifts with no hesitancy. The previous 5 winters here I drove my BMW X3 which I had developed great confidence in while driving in snow and wet/muddy roads. While the Mazda AWD is different than the BMW I am thinking there is no reason to trust it any less.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:04 PM

Winter tires are much better than all season for snow traction. I went with a set of Michelin XIce3 and a set of separate wheels. They have been great for snow driving.

After tires, ground clearance is is probably the next big factor. 18 inches of unplowed snow is probably too much for either.

I would think the Forester would be slightly better with identical tires but not enough to worry about.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by mazdaCPA
Winter tires are much better than all season for snow traction. I went with a set of Michelin XIce3 and a set of separate wheels. They have been great for snow driving.

After tires, ground clearance is is probably the next big factor. 18 inches of unplowed snow is probably too much for either.

I would think the Forester would be slightly better with identical tires but not enough to worry about.
I agree with you on that as I ran 2 sets of tires on both my Audi and Outback for years. But I'm going to have a new set of Vredestein Quatrac Pros swapped out for the OEM TOYO's tomorrow. These have a Severe Snow Service Rating, so while not quite a dedicated snow tire, they should perform better in snow and slush than typical AS tires. Having had so little snow in the last few years in my area, I just didn't want to buy another set of tires and rims. Worst case scenario, we get lots of snow and slush and these don't perform well, I'll buy dedicated snow tires and wheels at that time.

Old 12-18-2020, 04:15 PM

I have Yokohama all-season tires on my 2017 CX-5, and got through deep snow (12") with no problems. I was able to push about a foot of snow for quite some distance in front of my driveway, and the CX-5 kept rolling. The AWD system seems to work flawlessly. I felt confident in the Mazda. Never had AWD before so it was reassuring.

Old 12-23-2020, 09:58 PM

My 2016 has open differentials and does OK, but doesn't compare to that of my Honda Pilot which has greater ground clearance and a locking rear differential. If going with the CX-5, avoid the Grand Touring as it has lower profile tires which are inferior in snow and sand.

Quick Reply: CX-5 in snow?