Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 First/Second Generation Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 01:40 PM
Question CX-5 First/Second Generation Question

Hey everyone,

I'm looking to purchase a first or second generation Mazda CX-5. I've been to the dealer to look at some used models, specifically the 2017+ second generation with the facelift. My question is about reliability. Are there any major issues, anything at all, with these CX-5's? It's a rather general question but it's important enough because I am not looking to spend major sums of money on repairs. If anyone has owned these cars, would you mind sharing some, if any, issues you've had with the car?

Thank you,
Alex

Old 09-07-2023, 02:19 PM

Welcome to the forum and hope you find a Mazda and continue to be a member!

The thing you should be doing is looking at the service record of the Mazda you are interested in. Then you can ask the dealership if there are any TSB relating directly to the Mazda VIN you are interested in.
naturally it would better to pay an independent shop tio do a 100-150 point inspection on your Mazda before you buy it.

Asking members on any forums anything more you are going to get likely in my experience less than a fair assessment of the model year etc. of the Mazda you are interested in.
While it is always nice to see positive and more realistic posting about their Mazda experience traditionally the nit pickers seem to be drawn to these types of threads and will cast the negative experience faulting the bathrooms at the dealership when they purchased their Mazda. LOL So take some responses for what they are?

We do or several pre purchase inspection every month on our shop for customer's looking to purchase a used vehicle both from private party and a dealership. They both are pretty much equal with the results. generally speaking, these days i have to say more people seem to take better care of their vehicles. This also holds true with preowned RENTAL vehicles from the top 3 rental companies I the US.
Firestone does a fairly good job of these kind of pre-purchase inspections as well.

Old 09-07-2023, 02:24 PM

It's nice to see another member with the same name, welcome! These cars tend to be near bulletproof. The only issues I've seen are some batches of the '17-'20 engines had defective heads that would crack due to what appears to have been a manufacturing defect. This has since been resolved from the 2021 model to now. Other than that between my girlfriend's '21 Touring Naturally Aspirated and my '21 Carbon Edition Turbo, her engine had a bad coolant temperature sensor replaced under warranty along with a free coolant change. Both of our cars did however need to get their rear wiper motors replaced as both of them went bad (they would slow down with regular use and then get stuck in the middle position), both with less than 30k miles. Other than that we've driven across the country and used our cars A LOT. Both of them are doing great and I would highly recommend a 2021 since it looks the best and has the same stuff as the CX-5s made up until 2023 so far. The Turbo really makes a difference compared to driving the naturally aspirated model.

Old 09-07-2023, 02:29 PM

Alexmed2002 information is valued highly by most on this forum. His opinion and, comments and information is always fair and knowledgeable.

Old 09-07-2023, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Callisto
Alexmed2002 information is valued highly by most on this forum. His opinion and, comments and information is always fair and knowledgeable.

I try my best lol.

Old 09-08-2023, 11:45 AM

Ahh okay thank you for the information. I appreciate your help.

Old 09-08-2023, 11:47 AM

Okay that's some good news to hear. Do you happen to know how common the head crack issue is? Also, that '21 Carbon Edition Turbo sounds like a sweet ride. I assume it's all blacked out?

Thank you for your help!

Old 09-08-2023, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by Alex_123
Okay that's some good news to hear. Do you happen to know how common the head crack issue is? Also, that '21 Carbon Edition Turbo sounds like a sweet ride. I assume it's all blacked out?

Thank you for your help!
Currently there is No facts and NO listing of how many confirmed. Each case is delt with individually and not as a problem outright from Mazda.

Last edited by Callisto; 09-08-2023 at 12:08 PM.
Old 09-08-2023, 03:14 PM

The thing about the head issue is it seems completely random. In fact, a recent new member talked about issues with an oil leak on their '22.5NA with 13k, so it seems the issue continues to pop up even on the newest models (Here is the thread:https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...d-model-52215/). I would think it's difficult to predict before the issue occurred. One would hope it would occur earlier rather than later, but who knows? The best advice so far is a pre-purchase inspection on any car you are looking at. If you can see all the service records, this would also be a big plus in my book as well.

Old 09-08-2023, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
The thing about the head issue is it seems completely random. In fact, a recent new member talked about issues with an oil leak on their '22.5NA with 13k, so it seems the issue continues to pop up even on the newest models (Here is the thread:https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/maz...d-model-52215/). I would think it's difficult to predict before the issue occurred. One would hope it would occur earlier rather than later, but who knows? The best advice so far is a pre-purchase inspection on any car you are looking at. If you can see all the service records, this would also be a big plus in my book as well.
And keeping up with maintenance will most likely prevent the issue from popping up too.

Quick Reply: CX-5 First/Second Generation Question