Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 2.2 Diesel - Replace Oil Strainer

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 10:44 PM
Default CX-5 2.2 Diesel - Replace Oil Strainer

Hi all,

We're looking for some help regarding our Mazda. We recently bought a 2012 CX-5 Mazda and within the first 1000 km have encountered a couple issues. Long story short, our car is throwing up a "vehicle system inspection required", "engine inspection required" and "engine oil pressure inspection required". The following codes are being generated - P258B, P06DE and P055F.

The dealership is recommending replacing the oil strainer and air vacuum pump (for the brakes). What we're trying to figure out is
a) Is this something feasible to do ourselves
b) Is there an underlying issue that would have caused this to happen.

Having read around a little, it appears that some people have encountered issues with leaking injectors causing the carbon / sludge building in the oil pan and blocking the strainer. Is replacing the strainer necessary or is it possible to drop the sump and clear it that way? I've searched for the service manual but have had limited luck thus far.

Thanks for any and all help in advance!

Old 06-04-2019, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

These engines are bad news. Did you take it to a Mazda dealership? I know in OZ, Mazda is replacing these engines left right & centre, even covering vehicles out of warranty.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
These engines are bad news. Did you take it to a Mazda dealership? I know in OZ, Mazda is replacing these engines left right & centre, even covering vehicles out of warranty.
Hey mate, thanks for the reply. It’s at the Mazda dealership now. We got the quote yesterday and after some more research I’ve discovered the issues these engines are plagued with. Mazda haven’t offered to cover any of the costs (it’s an import from japan) but we’re going to ask them again today. Do you have any further info (or published bulletins) regarding Mazda in Aus covering costs of replacement?

Old 06-05-2019, 03:34 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not allowed to release bulletins. Being a grey import, Mazda NZ have no obligation to assist you.