Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting cigarette lighter to switched by ignition

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2020, 11:13 PM
Default Converting cigarette lighter to switched by ignition

I have a 2016.5 Mazda CX5 GT. Currently the cigarette lighter socket under the arm rest is always hot/on even if you turn off the ignition. What is the proper way to convert it so it will automatically turn on or off using the ignition?

Old 01-16-2020, 10:22 AM

If you think of it as a 12vdc outlet instead of a cigarette lighter socket, you may see advantages to it being "hot wired to the battery bus".
1. - Cell phone charging port (even when parked).
2. - Constant power to a hot/cold plate cooler for food.
3. - Power for a portable air compressor (even when parked).
4. - Power to a portable flood light or warning lights for camping or emergencies.
5 - Charging port for a "Jumper Box" for dead battery emergencies.
6 - Input port for auxiliary "keep alive" power when replacing the vehicle main battery. (My favorite).

Old 01-16-2020, 02:43 PM

Thank you. I understand the potential of the advantages but I have a Stanley Fat Max that can do all of that on board. I am going to install LED atmosphere lighting. It uses the cigarette male connector for 12V power that has an on/off switch. I want to switch the power on/off from the ignition so I cannot accidentally leave it on to tax the battery (because I'm sure it would happen with me). This is why I need to convert the outlet from constant power to switched power.

Old 08-23-2022, 10:32 AM
Default Have you figured this out? I’m trying to install a melody box

Originally Posted by Bob Birtley
Thank you. I understand the potential of the advantages but I have a Stanley Fat Max that can do all of that on board. I am going to install LED atmosphere lighting. It uses the cigarette male connector for 12V power that has an on/off switch. I want to switch the power on/off from the ignition so I cannot accidentally leave it on to tax the battery (because I'm sure it would happen with me). This is why I need to convert the outlet from constant power to switched power.
have you figured this out? I’m trying to instal a similar device