Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Changing Battery

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2022, 07:13 AM
Default Changing Battery

I was going to replace the vehicle battery in our 2019 Mazda CX5. Are there any steps you need to complete to program the vehicle? The owner's manual states if you need a battery go to the Mazda dealer.

Old 10-04-2022, 09:49 AM

Nope I would get a battery from any reputable source. Many Auto parts stores will install for free even. I think on some cars it might have to relearn your driving style but it wont be an issue for you.

Old 10-04-2022, 10:15 AM

Nothing needs to be done other than making sure you get a quality name brand battery and preferably one that uses 100% new components. I would also look at the production date of the battery and not the retail date sticker and try to get a battery that has as new a production date as possible. Have the place you buy the battery physically in front of you LOAD TEST the battery before you buy it. Do not take the comment "we load test all the batteries" as are reliable comment on the present condition of the battery of interest.

If you get it installed, I suggest that you watch the install and make sure they do not over tighten the battery terminals. Drive around the block or 2 and confirm that you get NO DTC from the install or return to the store and have them see what the DTC was.

The ECU learning or adaptive happens constantly as you drive each drive cycle so not to be concern with that.

Last edited by Callisto; 10-04-2022 at 10:18 AM.
Old 10-04-2022, 11:50 AM

Thanks! I will install it myself. I was not sure you could just hook it up and drive it letting the computer relearn. Our 2014 Mustang Ford gives you a short procedure to do if you want too, or you can just drive it and the computer will relearn. Mazda's owner's manual says go to the dealer which was useless.

Old 10-04-2022, 03:17 PM

My Manual also says changing the fob battery needs a dealer visit too!

Old 10-04-2022, 03:48 PM

Actually in both cases I think if you read it may be... " Replacing the battery at an Authorized Mazda Dealer is recommended to prevent damage to the key".

And as for the battery I think some may find it cleverly worded to imply you need to have the dealer service a replacement? LOL

Contact an Authorized Mazda Dealer for a battery replacement purchase

I know this about many platforms because it is often ask from customers when they need a new battery on a car/truck. A little-known information is that you can take the confirmed bad OEM battery to a dealer if it still has a warranty and should be able to get some form of credit for it.

Last edited by Callisto; 10-04-2022 at 03:51 PM.
Old 10-04-2022, 09:22 PM

I lucked out. The battery went dead on our CX5 in 2016. It was in the driveway, but the wife was trying to get to church at 6:00 am and had already called AAA before she unceremoniously got me out of bed. Apparently, AAA wasn't busy at that time of the day and they arrived about the time I had gotten dressed and gotten the jumper cables out to jump it with the Jeep. They put a jump on it and it charged, but it wouldn't hold a charge. I didn't know it, but my AAA membership includes a free battery once a year if they can't get it to hold a charge. It's still running on that free battery.

Old 10-05-2022, 05:51 AM

You'll probably need to reset the one-touch drivers window setting, it's in the manual how to do it.

Old 10-05-2022, 06:55 AM

Thanks!

Old 10-05-2022, 10:43 AM

It to bad that many don't understand the need to have your battery load tested at least at the 2 main seasonal changes Winter and summer. Batteries do not last as long contrary to any advertisements or claims on forum by owners as they did prior about 2002. There is way too many electronics' on board that demand more from the charging system, and this also taxes the battery. The other thing as I mention is many new batteries are made with recycled battery material. As far as I aware no one has actually done a test to see if this effects the longevity of batteries. But based on sales the highest percentage of batterie replaced at several shops I am connected to one is an RC service center, of the hundreds of batteries replaced or found after load testing failing and most all are branded names that use recycled material and are currently allowed to call them NEW.

A load test takes less then 5 minutes, and many parts stores and shops will do this for free.

The other battery killer is not driving and have your car parked for over a week. Again, this would be on cars manufactured from about 2014 and newer. This depletes at least 1/2 volt and many times more with no monitoring of trickle charger or battery tender (better choice to use on batteries) to keep the battery at top voltage can and does affect how long a battery lasts.

Quick Reply: Changing Battery