Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BSM concern

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2018, 06:35 PM
Default BSM concern

Hello All,

I am brand new to the forum. I own a 2014 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD that I purchased CPO in May 2017. At the end of August 2017 I started having an issue with the passenger side BSM sensor throwing off constant false alerts during the night, very cloudy and rainy days while driving on the highway. It is only the passenger side when in the normal driving lane. The drivers side when in the passing lane never had an issue. It’s when I am passing guard rails, highway barriers or signs. I’ve taken my car to many different dealerships and none would drive it at night. Finally one did and they were able to duplicate my concerns. They are now telling me that this is normal. If this is normal, why didn’t it do it for thousands upon thousands of miles when I first got the car? Why does none of the Mazda service loaners that I’ve had do it? Why is it only the passenger side and not the driver side? I’ve asked about calibration and they say there is no way to do that. Is this really normal? What are other’s opinions with CX-5’s BSM systems? I’m not talking about 1 or 2 false alerts, when driving for an hour it can be up to 30-40 false alerts while on the highway. While getting off exits the car will beep, flash and startle me in the process. I have videos of the events, but I’m not sure how to share that on here. I’d greatly appreciate any feedback. I’m wondering if there is a way to fix this once and for all, or if it is seriously normal?
Thank You

Old 03-24-2018, 03:28 AM
Super Moderator

Its not normal.

Are the BSM lights factory fitted in the mirror glass, or aftersales genuine accessory fitted into the "A" pillars

I would be contacting Mazda USA.

Old 03-24-2018, 11:08 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Its not normal.

Are the BSM lights factory fitted in the mirror glass, or aftersales genuine accessory fitted into the "A" pillars

I would be contacting Mazda USA.

yes, everything is OEM. I have spoke with Mazda USA regarding this issues many of times, they are trying to tell me nothing is wrong with it and that the system is functioning as intended. I personally don’t think this is normal at all.

Old 03-25-2018, 03:57 AM
Super Moderator

Bullsh*t. They only pick up moving objects. They don't pickup stationary objects.

Old 03-30-2018, 08:15 PM

There is something wrong. The BSM should be detecting things coming up from behind you on your right side, and turning on a light in your mirror and beeping a warning. Taking an exit should not present an alarm like this. If it's the beeping driving you crazy, you can turn the sound down in your settings screen until someone figures out what is going wrong. Blind Spot Monitors only detect objects approaching from the rear.

This reminds me of the lane change warning. I quickly turned the volume off on that system because it beeps at you every time you drift toward a center line or lane edge line unless you are using your turn signals. Wifey says I don't signal lane changes enough - even when we are the only people on the road! I guess she's right - as much as I bitch about people not signalling lane changes, I am no angel.

Last edited by Sea Six; 03-30-2018 at 08:21 PM.