Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/brand-new-2014-cx-5-sport-battery-already-died-31862/)

Rebecca C 06-28-2013 04:48 PM

Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died

:confused:
I'm not sure what I could have done. Does anyone with experience with this car have any advice? I'm pretty sure I turned everything off, radio, lights, etc. Shouldn't there be some sort of warning beep for lights left on anyway? I am afraid we got a lemon. Has anyone had battery issues with their CX5?

grim_reaper 06-29-2013 07:19 AM

Calm down and talk to your local Mazda service centre. The whole car is under warranty.

How long did you leave the car before the battery went flat?
have you had any accessories fitted?

beckyvoss 07-08-2013 05:29 PM

We had same problem with our 2013

At 252 miles our battery was dead after I didn't drive it for 3 days. Then at about 2600 miles it wouldn't start after I finished working and I had to have it towed. The dealer thought it was the battery so they changed it and I have done another 4000 miles without problems.

CX-SV 07-11-2013 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by Rebecca C (Post 139002)
I'm not sure what I could have done. Does anyone with experience with this car have any advice? I'm pretty sure I turned everything off, radio, lights, etc. Shouldn't there be some sort of warning beep for lights left on anyway? I am afraid we got a lemon. Has anyone had battery issues with their CX5?

What did your Mazda service department say?

2014 cx5 08-10-2013 09:24 PM

Wtf...

Got my CX-5 two weeks ago, and the POS wouldn't start after ~550 miles. Had to get it jumped by a Jeep Cherokee from the early 1990s. What a joke.

Will be calling my dealership tomorrow.

rich4205 08-18-2013 06:53 PM

I had the battery completely dead the other morning on my 2013 CX-5. After the AAA guy jumped it we could find on reason why?

CX-SV 08-29-2013 04:58 PM

Originally Posted by rich4205 (Post 140136)
I had the battery completely dead the other morning on my 2013 CX-5. After the AAA guy jumped it we could find on reason why?

Any new info as to why?

jdude1 11-05-2013 01:54 AM

cheap battery

ok soooo i have a 2014 grand touring cx-5 with 12,000 miles the temp. here was 18 degrees at night went out after work to start the car and it sounded a little weak barley noticable , drove it 3 blocks got out let it idle for 20min came back and all warning lights were on in the dash including check engine,

shut the car off restarted all lights off except check engine light - went to AZ got the code reader cleard the code , suspected the battery had it load tested battery was only 12.5 and was bad, called mazda - they said they put in batteries different than the ones they come from the factory with if they are replaced , im in wyoming small town no dealer, so i got the duralast battery group#26R 575 CCA got it installed car started strong ,

i noticed battery was smaller than original by quite a bit i will look to see if the next size up will fit for more CCA's - the original is a PANASONIC POS!!!! get rid of it as fast as you can it is chineese JUNK. im just glad i got mine checked befor the weather got real cold or i was stuck somewhere -- by the way put insulation around new battery cause there is none:(

UseYourNoggin 11-05-2013 08:01 AM

Good AGM battery: from Canadian Tire same as Odyssey http://www.odysseybattery.ca/
If you have lots of money get the Lithium: Lithionics Automotive Lithium Li3 Batteries

Wrap your battery in insulation. It will keep the cold and the heat off of your battery for better starting in cold weather and longer life as heat doesn't destroy it.

The battery shown is for my 2006 Mazda 6, but i'm sure they have 1 for your vehicle.

http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/...attery2013.jpg
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/...tteryLabel.jpg
http://www.odysseybattery.ca/images/odyssey_labels.jpg
http://www.lithionicsbattery.com/ima...ng_battery.png

CX-SV 11-12-2013 11:35 AM

I'm still on original battery after a 1.5 years, no problem.

Kelly_A 11-14-2013 06:20 AM

Also check that your rear cargo light isn't switched to always on. It's an incandescent bulb so can pull enough power weaken a battery over a few days. With the factory privacy tint, location of the light and high seat backs, it's hard to tell that it's on from the drivers side of the car. I didn't realize mine had been left on until I happened to see it through the passenger side rear window.

CX-SV 11-14-2013 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Kelly_A (Post 142066)
Also check that your rear cargo light isn't switched to always on. It's an incandescent bulb so can pull enough power weaken a battery over a few days. With the factory privacy tint, location of the light and high seat backs, it's hard to tell that it's on from the drivers side of the car. I didn't realize mine had been left on until I happened to see it through the passenger side rear window.

Good point, since I don't know if the battery saving feature (where settings can be personalized) works on the rear cargo light. It's not covered specifically in owners manual. I haven't tested it.

rich4205 12-03-2013 05:24 AM

I have a CX-5 with about 30,000 miles now. Last summer, for no apparent reason, the battery was dead when I went out to start it up. No lights or other electrical stuff was left on. The AAA guy jumped the battery and it started right up. I took it to the Mazda dealer and they could find no reason for this to happen.

Ironically, I did have a set of jump cables on the CX-5 in the rear storage compartment. I could not get to them because the rear hatch door is electrically operated! Sort of a catch 22! Now, I keep the jump cables now in the open rear area so I can actually get to them if needed.

CX-SV 12-03-2013 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by rich4205 (Post 142512)
I have a CX-5 with about 30,000 miles now. Last summer, for no apparent reason, the battery was dead when I went out to start it up. No lights or other electrical stuff was left on. The AAA guy jumped the battery and it started right up. I took it to the Mazda dealer and they could find no reason for this to happen.

Did Mazda dealer install a new battery?

rich4205 12-04-2013 06:21 AM

Battery died

Originally Posted by CX-SV (Post 142525)
Did Mazda dealer install a new battery?

The dealer didn't replace the battery. They said they checked everything and could find no cause for the CX-5 not to start.

The fact that I had jumper cables with me but could not get them out of the rear storage due to the rear hatch being only electrically unlocked was very exasperating to say the least!:mad:

UseYourNoggin 12-13-2013 11:41 AM

Bella003 01-09-2014 02:26 PM

cx5 battery

I just returned to buffalo and my 2013 cx5 parked in the airport parking lot-after 7 days, the battery was dead. Attendants thankfully charged it and i drove about 5 miles home. This am-dead again. I am waiting for AAA and a diagnosis. Ive always owned hondas in the past and never had a battery issue this early in the car's life! It has been an extremely cold week here...

hjimdick 01-09-2014 03:09 PM

I learned a lesson last night about our 2014 CX5 with tech package. I turned the car off but had left it in neutral. Without restarting I shifted it to park. BIG MISTAKE! When I checked on the car 2 hours later it was cycling thru headlights on, radio on, GPS on and heater on. I thought aliens had taken it over! The display warned about the key system and said to take it to the dealer. I checked the battery and it was discharged. I charged over night. Bottom Line move the shift lever to park BEFORE pushing the Start Button. Due to the trouble I've had with the GPS & phone etc. previously I should not have gotten the tech package.

CX-SV 01-09-2014 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by rich4205 (Post 142535)
The dealer didn't replace the battery. They said they checked everything and could find no cause for the CX-5 not to start.

The fact that I had jumper cables with me but could not get them out of the rear storage due to the rear hatch being only electrically unlocked was very exasperating to say the least!:mad:

btw-In the owner manual, it shows you how to open hatch from inside. The mechanical latch release is under a little plastic cover on inside of hatch door.

RJG 01-10-2014 11:41 AM

Just bought a 2014 CX5. Only has 80 miles on it. Didn't drive it for 5 days and battery was completely dead. Nothing was left on in the car. Dealership told me that the pushbutton start somehow has a constant drain. Had car jumped and brought to dealership. Dealer advised that there was no unusual drain, but that the battery had a defective cell. Replaced battery under warranty. Now let's see. Will be out of town for 5 days in the near future.

rich4205 01-11-2014 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by CX-SV (Post 143417)
btw-In the owner manual, it shows you how to open hatch from inside. The mechanical latch release is under a little plastic cover on inside of hatch door.

I will have to check for the mechanical latch release, but I am guessing one would have to crawl over the seats to get into the back.:confused:

CX-SV 01-11-2014 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by rich4205 (Post 143463)
I will have to check for the mechanical latch release, but I am guessing one would have to crawl over the seats to get into the back.:confused:

Yes, and fold down one of the rear seats to make it easier.

Exec fen 03-06-2014 03:32 PM

CX-5 GT won't start

CX-5 GT 2014 - You had starting problems. How was the problem resolved?
Two new batteries installed in my NEW car and car still won't start within a few days of replacement! Problem started around 3000 km. It now reads 5,000 km. Car has been boosted 6 times since. Car has been at the dealership for more than 15 days total. HELP!

CX-SV 03-07-2014 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Exec fen (Post 144912)
CX-5 GT 2014 - You had starting problems. How was the problem resolved?
Two new batteries installed in my NEW car and car still won't start within a few days of replacement! Problem started around 3000 km. It now reads 5,000 km. Car has been boosted 6 times since. Car has been at the dealership for more than 15 days total. HELP!

Did they give you a good loaner car?

Humpday 03-15-2014 04:34 PM

Same damn thing with my cx5. I've only had this thing for 7 months, and the battery is dead for the second time. 100% positive no lights or electronics left on. Looks like this is an epidemic.

rich4205 03-16-2014 06:07 AM

When parking the CX-5 be sure to put the shifter in "Park" before turning off the engine. If the vehicle is turned off in "Drive" some of the electric stuff may stay on...

Humpday 03-16-2014 12:00 PM

I talked with another service center today, and he said that he has seen similar issues before. But he said that we need to turn off the AC/heat, audio, and unplug any electronics before turning off the engine because they can still drain the battery even after the engine's off.

I'm no mechanic, but that sounds like a load of crap. But if it's true that leaving the AC/heat in the "on" position or leaving the radio on while turning off the engine is a source of battery drain, then this is a real design flaw.

JW13M3HBiGT 03-16-2014 04:49 PM

Brand New 2014 CX-5 Sport. Battery already died

1. If not done already, have the dealer perform a parasitic draw test.
2. If any after market equipment has been installed into the car, it should be checked out. It is the likely culprit.

I own a 2013 Mazda 3. My Mazda dealer installed a homelink/compass/automatic dimmer rearview mirror in my car at the time of purchase. 6 months later the batter died. Dealer said it was a bad battery and replaced it. 2 months later that battery died, dealer said the battery was OK and I drained it because I was using an air pump at the time it died. They recharged the battery. 2 weeks later battery was dead again, dealer said it was a bad battery (now) and replaced it again. Every time they said everything in the car was OK. Third visit they conducted a parasitic draw test and said the car past the test.

I started looking on the internet and found a leading cause of battery draining is aftermarket equipment. Found installation instructions for my rearview mirror online that mentioned two power wires are needed: one always on for the homelink button and one ignition controlled for the automatic dimmer & compass. Instructions cautioned that if power wires are reversed that it would drain battery.

I took the car back to the dealer (fourth time) and instructed them to check power wires to mirror and switch if they were wrong. They were.
I have not had any battery issues since.

ExecFem 03-17-2014 08:52 AM

CX-5 GT starting problems - Day 16 of service at dealership- The battery (third new one) was boosted once more to get the car into the garage for servicing. The car would not start for them the next day. Service dep't informed me that they looked at the fuse system. Last week they have been trying to determine the source of a possible parasitic draw. I was then told, it was possibly related to the audio. Last Friday, I was told that Sirius maybe the problem. They have sent in yet another ticket to Mazda Canada.

For the record - after the first incident last November (3000 Km on car), I always made sure that all gadgets were turned off (radio, fan, headlights). I did not walk away until the inside light turned off. I always placed the transmission in P before turning off the vehicle

The original new battery was changed twice. Yet, the vehicle failed to start within 2 weeks of the changes and needed to be boosted 6 times.

The only thing I did not bring up with service is the status of the remote starter. It is the only gadget that was added and it is a Mazda original.

I have sent the service dep't every possible solution offered in blogs such as: change the battery, replace sensor relays, look for parasitic draws, even the extreme case in South Carolina where the electrical problem got so bad, BBB mediator ordered the manufacturer to buy back the vehicle.

Any more ideas out there? HELP!

beckyvoss 03-17-2014 10:11 AM

Cx-5 battery

Rebecca, I haven't had a problem since I got the new battery. I now have 17,000 miles on it.

Bon Scott 03-29-2014 10:32 PM

Hello ExecFem,

Any news on this situation of yours?? I recently purchased the CX-5 and had them install a Mazda remote starter. Had it a month now...no issues to date. Very curious how your situation pans out.

Bon

ExecFem 03-31-2014 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Bon Scott (Post 145450)
Hello ExecFem,

Any news on this situation of yours?? I recently purchased the CX-5 and had them install a Mazda remote starter. Had it a month now...no issues to date. Very curious how your situation pans out.

Bon

I picked up the vehicle on March 20th. Dealership tech reported the following work:
Wiring repair body - door harness changed according to TSB - draining battery?
Replaced Radio/cassette unit as per Mazda Tech line - diagnosis: battery drain
Replaced Sirius Satellite Radio unit as per Mazda Canada - diagnosis: battery drain
Replaced battery - because I insisted (battery had been boosted over 6 times)
Replaced relay circuit - just in case - there was a TSB (cold weather start)

Car at dealership under investigation from March 1 to March 20.

I believe the dealership did everything they could to figure out the problem and address my concerns.

I actually called NHTSA with respect to CX-5 in SC that had similar electrical problems. That car got worse and manufacturer was ordered to buy it back. NHTSA could not assist because the car was manufactured in Japan. (privacy issues)

Called the dealership service manager in SC. He too was baffled by the new technologies that create all kinds of problems. He too did not want to say too much.

Both were firm in telling me that if the problem should reoccur, I should initiate the buy-back process.

BOTTOM LINE: No problem since I have picked it up vehicle. It's been 10 days. Hopefully the issue is behind me.

ExecFem 05-26-2014 02:45 PM

RE CX-5 battery drain. Well it's been 2 months since I picked up my car from the dealership and I have not had any more starting problems. It would seem that any or all of these mechanical interventions worked:
Wiring repair - door harness changed according to TSB - draining battery?
Replaced Radio/cassette unit as per Mazda Tech line - diagnosis: draining battery
Replaced Sirius Satellite Radio unit as per Mazda Canada - diagnosis: draining battery
Replaced battery - because I insisted (battery had been boosted over 6 times)
Replaced relay circuit - just in case and because I insisted since others obtained a positive result by changing - there was a TSB (cold weather start)

My best guess---I couldn't begin to identify which of the above solved the problem. I have to rely on what the dealership found and what they did to address the issue. And they succeeded…at least it looks that way for now! …Loving my CX-5

LarryFL 05-27-2014 12:30 PM

When we took delivery of our 2015 CX5, I told the dealer not to unpack anything (leave all the plastic on the seats so wife could unwrap it when I got it home). So, we had a half PDI inspected vehicle. I found some interesting PDI documentation about the battery. It seems there is a special procedure for dealers to follow while their car sits on the lot or else the batteries will be severely and permanently weakened. They have to follow a procedure to take out and put in fuses, and even disconnect the battery at certain intervals while it sits on the lot. There is a different procedure depending on if the car sits in the back lot or on display ion the front row.

They need to log all this per battery, per car on a checklist that stays with the new car until delivery to customer. If they fail to follow this, Mazda will not warranty any battery returns on new cars (so the dealer eats the cost of new battery for client).

Maybe some people here are experiencing results of a lazy dealer.

ExecFem 05-28-2014 02:50 PM

In my case, the dealership does rotate start on weekly basis, and the room fuse is removed until delivery.

Sometimes issues just happen. I am told that the new electronic components can be problematic. It's a question of finding the problem and the appropriate solution. Just glad my dealership solved the problem.

Pipemajor 05-31-2014 07:38 PM

2015 Grand Touring model but only had it a week. Left it parked in the garage for 2 days. I have replaced all interior lights w/LEDs as well as license and fogs. Just because... :cool:

Bon Scott 06-01-2014 10:56 PM

Found this nugget today that perhaps may shed some light on the dead battery issue.

Push-button Start (non-smart) - Club smart Car

Bon

poCX5owner 10-18-2014 02:56 PM

Same thing happen to my 3 months old 2015 CX-5 GT AWD with 1600 miles on it. After parking in the parking stall for 4 days, the battery was dead. With the help of the parking security, jumped started the car. The check engine light, the tire pressure monitor warning light and the master warning light with TCMS warning massage were on. When trying to drive the vehicle it will not go faster than 20 mile/hour. Road side assistant took the CX-5 to the nearest Mazda dealer and after two days, they didn't find any problem other than the battery is discharged. Its been 3 days and so far no problem, however, I am not very happy when this happened to a brand new car and I am sure that I did turn everything off when I park my car.

Pipemajor 10-19-2014 08:58 PM

I have one of those smart Battery Tenders which will keep a battery peaked when left idle for long times. My CX-5 sat for 6 days. I hooked up the Battery Tender Plus which charges only at 1.25Ah then drops to a maintenance charge. Actually it's a 4 step process but gets a bit complex.

Mine was charging for only 2 hours before it said it was peaked. No leak from what I can see.

JonW 10-20-2014 09:16 AM

I've had 2 cases where my battery was drained below the point where it would start the engine (both my fault):

1) rear hatch was not completely closed and the light in the back was on for several days. I now make sure it's closed and latched when I close it.

2) After trying to get my USB drive to work with the Accessory on (without the engine started) I only pressed the start button once when leaving the car. This left the accessory on all day, and my dashcam and radio drained the battery. I know this because my dashcam had 8 hours of video of cars driving up and down the street at the end of my driveway...

In both cases I was able to either charge the battery from a charger or get a jump from another vehicle via battery cables.