Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AutoDoor Lock

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2022, 10:46 AM
Default AutoDoor Lock

I'm having an issue with the auto door lock feature of my 2022 CX5. It's not a huge issue but it's an annoying one and it should be covered under warranty. Dealers have been zero help in addressing it. Basically the car is supposed to automatically lock when I close the door after turning off the ignition. This works about 95% of the time but it's the 5% that's an issue. Has anyone had a similar experience or know of a solution? I've been to two dealers who both say there is nothing wrong so they can't address it.

Old 11-17-2022, 01:48 PM

According to the manual the doors (if set up to auto lock) will only do so once the "key" FOB is out of range.
It is a matter of feet/meters but I'm not sure exactly how many.

Old 11-17-2022, 01:51 PM

Thanks for the reply. As I mentioned this works 95% of the time. However 5% of the time I turn the vehicle off, exit (with the FOB in my pocket) and walk away only to get a notification that it hasn't locked and I need to either use the app or return to FOB range and lock it.

Old 11-17-2022, 02:10 PM

Could possibly be a FOB battery issue, I had to replace the one in my 2020.
I'm not certain how good the stock FOB battery is.
Even if that isn't the issue it's inexpensive and easy enough to try.

Old 11-17-2022, 04:04 PM

Given it's both FOB's and that the issues started pretty much as soon as I got the car new off the lot I doubt that's the problem. Having said that it's worth trying. Thanks for the advice I'll pick up some batteries

Old 11-17-2022, 04:08 PM

This is not an uncommon “issue”. Most of the time it is due to the driver walking away from the CX too rapidly. This happens to me when my wife exits the vehicle after I do and I am over 5-10 feet from the vehicle - it won’t lock. I just stay close to the CX until after my wife shuts the passenger door, then things work fine and the doors lock.

Old 11-18-2022, 07:51 AM

Yeah, I forgot that can happen, but I'm old and not that quick anymore.
Funny how "electronics" have changed us so much we find it too time consuming/annoying to simply press the FOB button to lock the doors.
If the TV remote had never been invented, I wonder how many stations there would actually be now

Old 11-18-2022, 09:14 AM

It's a very specific requirement for it to work.

If you are not within fob range after all doors and the hatch are closed and don't hear that first beep, it won't beep again and autolock when you walk away. Took me a few times of it happening to realize that's what it was being fussy about. Especially with a powered hatch, having to stand there waiting for it to completely close to get that first beep is annoying and I wind up manually using the fob at that point as I'm walking away.

Old 11-18-2022, 10:40 AM

What a picky feature If I walk away too fast I'm out of FOB range and it won't trigger. Service manager at the dealership said that I might be walking away too slowly or at least exiting the car too slowly after the ignition is turned off. Guess I have to find the Goldilocks speed. Not too fast and not too slow. Not relying on it would be the best solution but my other vehicles have the feature and I guess I'm programed now so it's a hard habit to break!

Old 11-18-2022, 02:56 PM

Technology is both a blessing and curse...

Quick Reply: AutoDoor Lock