Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone have trouble with rear differential?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2023, 02:47 PM
Default Anyone have trouble with rear differential?

I've kept up to date with maintenance on my 2017 CX-5. I have an AWD Grand Touring. I had all of the 60k service performed at 45k miles, which included having the rear differential serviced.
I read where some people have had to replace their rear differential, even after having it serviced. Some have even reported that dealership personnel have told them it's a "known issue". Even recommending to have the rear differential serviced every 30k.
Anyone have their rear differential fail? If so, did you have it serviced?

Old 01-26-2023, 06:08 AM
Super Moderator

I've seen a few fail over the years, not at all common.

Old 11-10-2023, 09:55 AM

This thread came back to haunt me. I completely forgot that I posted this thread in January, just because of some things I'd read. Here I am, 10 months later, and my rear differential has failed!

Old 11-14-2023, 08:35 PM

Was contacted by my Mazda Service department today. Mazda has decided to only charge me $500 for my new differential. I'm happy with the outcome.

Old 11-15-2023, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by edmondcx5
Was contacted by my Mazda Service department today. Mazda has decided to only charge me $500 for my new differential. I'm happy with the outcome.
This is good news and a good compromise. I would ask them what your warranty will be on the rebuilt or new deferential?

Old 11-15-2023, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
This is good news and a good compromise. I would ask them what your warranty will be on the rebuilt or new deferential?
Definitely need to see the length and mileage of the warranty supplied with it. You never know what can happen but the assurance is nice.

Old 11-15-2023, 10:44 AM

Originally Posted by Alexmed2002
Definitely need to see the length and mileage of the warranty supplied with it. You never know what can happen, but the assurance is nice.
My guess if extremely lucky is 1 year maybe 12k miles? And it would likely be directly with the dealership only and not Mazda.

Old 11-16-2023, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Callisto
My guess if extremely lucky is 1 year maybe 12k miles? And it would likely be directly with the dealership only and not Mazda.
Yup it's a a possibility but comes more so on a case by case basis. When Subaru did my head gaskets a few years ago under warranty at one of their dealers, they said it was backed by a one year/unlimited mileage warranty from the date the repair was finished.

Old 11-16-2023, 11:24 AM

Did you have any symptoms prior to servicing the rear differential? I wonder if I should do it proactively but it may not matter like it did in your case. Or maybe the service kept it working as long as it did.

Old 11-16-2023, 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by SouthBear
Did you have any symptoms prior to servicing the rear differential? I wonder if I should do it proactively but it may not matter like it did in your case. Or maybe the service kept it working as long as it did.
Most "ALL" problems are from owners that don't know what the first symptoms are. So by the time the problem is apparent to them as a problem it has already had several hundred or more miles on the vehicle before they found the time to have it looked at.
As an example, we see countless posting of members having the engine check light activate and continue to drive while they are attempting to resolve the problem. Now that is a pre warning that something is wrong.

Quick Reply: Anyone have trouble with rear differential?