Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

AA, Car Play

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2020, 08:22 AM
Default AA, Car Play

Am considering adding AA & Car Play to my 2017 CX-5 GT. Would like feedback from others who have done so. I use Waze when on a trip but the small screen on my phone is a concern and the sound does not come from the stereo unit. Assume the touch screen is inoperable when moving. Would appreciate hearing from others who have had this done. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2020, 08:55 AM

Why are you yelling at us?

Old 01-30-2020, 10:37 AM

Was looking for a response to a legitimate question, not a smart alecky reply. Sorry if you were offended.

Old 01-30-2020, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by jbpk
Am considering adding AA & Car Play to my 2017 CX-5 GT. Would like feedback from others who have done so. I use Waze when on a trip but the small screen on my phone is a concern and the sound does not come from the stereo unit. Assume the touch screen is inoperable when moving. Would appreciate hearing from others who have had this done. Thanks.
I have not done this because of the cost involved (at least $400 at my local dealer) and since it is labor-intensive. Frankly speaking, I am a bit paranoid that my dealer will not put the dash and everything back in as in the original factory state and that I will have to deal with rattling noises afterwards

Regarding the responsiveness of the screen, I think you are right. It is not responsive as far as I know and even if it were, it is a bit far away to operate while driving. The "solution" I found was to get a bigger phone (an iPhone XR) and attach a metal plate to the back of the phone case. I am using a magnetic vent mount and find it perfect. The screen is big and the phone is within reach and responsive.

Just my two cents.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by jbpk
I added this to my 2016 Signature CX9 myself; bought the unit on line and followed install; google the install or pay dealer; just traded this car for the 2020 Soul Red Signature CX9 which has it. I have it on my 2018 Mazda6 Signature. Love it. Touch screen same; works when stopped.

Old 01-31-2020, 07:53 AM

Thanks for your input. I hope to get more ideas from the forum before proceeding one way or the other.

Old 01-31-2020, 02:03 PM

It really depends on what it is worth to you. I have AA on my 2019 Mazda3 and I seldom use it. I prefer to connect by Bluetooth and use the Mazda GPS.

Waze is a better GPS, but the hassle of plugging it in, data usage for Waze, not being able to use a separate phone for calls through Bluetooth, and the difficulty of using Waze without having a touchscreen while driving make it easier to just go with the Mazda GPS.

But that is just me. I could see others having the opposite opinion.

Old 02-01-2020, 08:16 AM

Has anyone purchased or used the “wireless adapter” that plugs into the CarPlay usb that then connects to your iPhone and allows carplay to be used without having it plugged in?