Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2022 CX-5 Turbo battery size?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2023, 04:59 PM
Default 2022 CX-5 Turbo battery size?

New to the forum. I have a 2022 CX-5 Turbo I've had since new. It was made 1/2022 and has 28,500 miles. I notice if it sits for a couple days it doesn't turn over as fast as it used to. I read some threads here and I guess it isn't uncommon for the batteries to go in two years? So, being proactive as I am, I want to replace it this weekend. Some of the retailer's fitment guides (Interstate and Walmart) don't have an option for my car. What size battery is it? I measured it best I could and I believe its a BCI 35 (?). O'rielly and NAPA have it as BCI 47 but that is too long and too low. Also, is it worth it to go AGM? Thanks!

Old 12-28-2023, 06:45 AM

2022 is a BCI Group 35.
It is definitely worth it to purchase the very best battery (for your climate area) that you can afford.
AGM are "generally" better, but it depends on which brand you purchase.

An internet search will give tested results of various formats and brands and you can "extrapolate" from there.
While the results will not always be the same in every make and model of vehicle, they will suffice to point out which ones are the best.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:16 AM

How did you determine the manufacture age of your battery? If it was a MAZDA unit those codes to decipher the actual date is not so easy to find on the internet? From your description the battery is/has failed? But this happened prior to your starting notability. Because you are still under a Warranty read carefully what battery you choose to replace the failing battery with.

Old 12-28-2023, 10:36 AM

The car was manufactured 1 / 2022. I can't see the date on the battery case without removing it. It hasn't "failed" yet. I just notice if I don't drive it for a few days it turns over slower. No problems, runs and drives fine. I read a bunch of threads here before posting that it isn't uncommon for the batteries to only last a year or two "in use" because they could have been made way before the car was put into service (then it sits in transit, etc).

I've had no problems with this car and it is stock. I'm leaning toward an Interstate standard flooded from Costco. I've had great luck over the years with both Costco and Interstate. I've also read that for all the advantages of AGM, they need a higher charging voltage and are more finicky about it. Many have also said you're better off replacing the original with the same type, just the highest quality.

Last edited by sluggo48313; 12-28-2023 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-28-2023, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by sluggo48313
The car was manufactured 1 / 2022. I can't see the date on the battery case without removing it. It hasn't "failed" yet. I just notice if I don't drive it for a few days it turns over slower. No problems, runs and drives fine. I read a bunch of threads here before posting that it isn't uncommon for the batteries to only last a year or two "in use" because they could have been made way before the car was put into service (then it sits in transit, etc).

I've had no problems with this car and it is stock. I'm leaning toward an Interstate standard flooded from Costco. I've had great luck over the years with both Costco and Interstate. I've also read that for all the advantages of AGM, they need a higher charging voltage and are more finicky about it. Many have also said you're better off replacing the original with the same type, just the highest quality.
The date code is melted in the top case of the battery and is not a date like you would see month and year but a code. Auto manufactures batteries are not easy to find the actual manufacture date of factory installed batteries. So you really do not know how old that battery is.

Continued using a tested and failing battery it can cause electrical problems. You should at least get the battery load tested but I am confident it will show a BAD battery. I would get a new battery ASAP before you cause damage to your starter.

Battery longevity no matter what brand is directly related to the end user and what steps they take in simple maintenance checking. Many battery companies now use with their NEW batteries production recycled material that they claim does not affect the life span of the battery. *** there has never been any actual testing it their word. However, us service shops in the trenches know otherwise. There is NO regulation that requires battery manufacture to post that they use recycled material, but better-quality brands will post manufactured with all NEW materials.

ASE

Old 12-28-2023, 10:58 AM

Thanks. That was my thought exactly. I had already decided to replace it this weekend. For some reason, Costco and Walmart don't have 2022 CX-5 listed in their fitment guide, so that was the reason for my post. Just to make sure it was a BCI 35.

So should in your option, should I do AGM or another standard flooded? I live in four seasons Michigan. Can be in the 90's in summer and below zero in winter. Car is pretty much a daily driver, although I have a convertible as well so it can sit for a week or so in the summer when I'm diving the other car.

Old 12-28-2023, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by sluggo48313
Thanks. That was my thought exactly. I had already decided to replace it this weekend. For some reason, Costco and Walmart don't have 2022 CX-5 listed in their fitment guide, so that was the reason for my post. Just to make sure it was a BCI 35.

So should in your option, should I do AGM or another standard flooded? I live in four seasons Michigan. Can be in the 90's in summer and below zero in winter. Car is pretty much a daily driver, although I have a convertible as well so it can sit for a week or so in the summer when I'm diving the other car.
Either type of battery has historically done well in your operating temperatures. I would however in the future get your battery load test every season change or at least before summer and before winter. These are the 2 hardest conditions for battery supportive operations and the time most batteries fail.

I personally prefer OPTIMA AGM Batteries in all my vehicles.
But then I also have many added electronics added to me Mazda.

Old 12-29-2023, 02:09 PM

I would suggest going to your dealer and having them test it. You are still under warranty and if the battery is bad, they will replace it for free.

Old 12-29-2023, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
I would suggest going to your dealer and having them test it. You are still under warranty and if the battery is bad, they will replace it for free.
Ditto.

Old 12-30-2023, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
And that is definitely the best answer on replacement.

Quick Reply: 2022 CX-5 Turbo battery size?