Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 CX-5 Headlight adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2022, 01:44 PM
Default 2021 CX-5 Headlight adjustment

Hello All

First post. I hope someone can help?

So bought my car new a year ago in Europe outside the EU but have now imported it into the UK for my own use. I need to have the headlights be compliant to UK spec where we drive on the left. Is it true there should be adjustment screws for both vertical and horizantal adjustment? My model is petrol and had the lowest trim spec in the country I bought it so pretty sure it doesn't have adaptive headlights etc. If there is adjustment is it likely to be enough to swing the beam sufficiently from right to left?

If adjustment isn't possible I guess I'll need to buy two new headlight units (which seem to be around $600 each here). And looking on youtube looks like quite a lot of work to get them out. 8-(

Thanks in advance for any thoughts/tips/etc .

Old 11-20-2022, 05:30 PM
Old 11-21-2022, 10:59 AM

Thanks for that. Do you think it will allow sufficient adjustment?

Also found this in the manual which is curious and I don't understand.
  • Headlights do not blind drivers approaching in the opposite direction no matter what side of the road you must drive your vehicle (left-hand or right-hand traffic). Therefore, it is not necessary to adjust the optical axis of the headlights when switching temporarily to driving on the opposite side of the road (left-hand or right-hand traffic).
https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/.../05030101.html

Old 11-21-2022, 11:46 AM

I doubt that Mazda engineers would make headlights that can only be used in certain countries and not in others.
But I don't know that for certain.
I would check your countries traffic laws not an owner's manual for what the actual laws require.

Old 11-21-2022, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by Lobstah
I doubt that Mazda engineers would make headlights that can only be used in certain countries and not in others.
But I don't know that for certain.
I would check your countries traffic laws not an owner's manual for what the actual laws require.

Possibly. I guess I was hoping other people have moved their mazda from one to another country. There are quite a few countries where traffic drives on the left and the requirements in all are essentially about not blinding oncoming traffic.

What of course I don't know is if these units can be adjusted to driving on either side of the road of they are fixed left or right-handed.

Old 11-21-2022, 12:51 PM

As far as I can tell the part number is the same for headlight assemblies no matter what country.
Rights side is KJL-51-031D
Left side KJL-51-041D
Which means you should be able to adjust them to required country specifications whichever side of the road you drive on..

Old 11-21-2022, 03:30 PM

Interesting thanks. Although it looks like quite a few more types. e.g.

https://www.123spareparts.co.uk/car-...t/134042#10101

All these seems to say either "right hand traffic" or "left hand drive" so for countries where the traffic drives on the right. Weird, considering it it is a UK company.

Old 11-22-2022, 09:07 AM

I would suggest you try driving the car and see if you are getting a lot of "flashes" from other cars. If not, I wouldn't worry about it. They do MOT inspections in the UK, correct? Wouldn't that be the place to ask if needed?

Old 11-27-2022, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

LHD headlights are different to RHD headlights. You can't legally drive with LHD headlights on the LHS of the road ( ie RHD country ) The beam cut-off is different.

2021 CX-5 Headlight adjustment-18040d1083390880-euro-headlight-question-eurohead_patterns.gif

Old 11-27-2022, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
LHD headlights are different to RHD headlights. You can't legally drive with LHD headlights on the LHS of the road ( ie RHD country ) The beam cut-off is different.

Attachment 8560
That adjustment has been that way on many vehicles even waaaaaaaay back in the 70's as well here in the USA.
There was also , and still is in a law in many states about the incorrect headlight adjustment vehicle code violations with a fine .

Quick Reply: 2021 CX-5 Headlight adjustment