Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2021 CX-5 Carbon Edition

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2021, 11:01 AM
Question 2021 CX-5 Carbon Edition

Hello everyone.

This is my first time posting on here. I am interested in purchasing the CX 5 Carbon Edition, and had questions for people who have already purchased this vehicle. How does the car drive and look? I haven't had the chance to go check it out in person yet, so I'd like to know how the car looks aesthetic wise. Is the inside seats a bright red, or more like a dark red/maroon?

Also, would you let me know the price you paid for it? I just want to make sure I'm not over paying. Thank you.

Old 03-30-2021, 01:06 PM
Cool

You are asking very subjective questions, so you may get a variety of answers. The color is...interesting. Some love it, some don’t. I like mine but understand why it may be an acquired taste. The exterior design is not like most other SUVs, not as staid as some European designs but not as extreme as a few Asian vehicles. It stands out but the color isn’t garish like some competitors’ colors. The seats are not bright red, rather dark and subdued. But they are definitely red.

I like the driving dynamics a lot. It certainly isn’t a sports sedan regardless of what some writers claim. The steering is precise and nicely weighted, there is very little body roll until you get close to the limits, and the pairing of the turbo engine and the transmission is excellent. Ample power with quick positive shifts. Yes “only” six speeds but frankly I don’t miss having more, they just aren’t needed with the engine’s broad torque curve. Okay, an underdrive seventh gear would drop the rpm on the freeway and might save an mpg or two. Mine is FWD and I didn’t notice any differences between it and an AWD I test drove...but that was on dry Arizona roads.

Price will vary depending on dealer and area, best to go to a site like TruCar and check for your area. There isn’t a lot of markup on these so you won’t get a $4000 rebate like with some brands. They are also kind of rare so the dealers won’t be anxious to haggle. Try to avoid extras like window tinting, special paint or seat protection, etc. since they are usually over-priced and you can do better yourself if you want them. Good luck and I hope you can find one if you like the CE.

Old 03-31-2021, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by CarpeDiem
You are asking very subjective questions, so you may get a variety of answers. The color is...interesting. Some love it, some don’t. I like mine but understand why it may be an acquired taste. The exterior design is not like most other SUVs, not as staid as some European designs but not as extreme as a few Asian vehicles. It stands out but the color isn’t garish like some competitors’ colors. The seats are not bright red, rather dark and subdued. But they are definitely red.

I like the driving dynamics a lot. It certainly isn’t a sports sedan regardless of what some writers claim. The steering is precise and nicely weighted, there is very little body roll until you get close to the limits, and the pairing of the turbo engine and the transmission is excellent. Ample power with quick positive shifts. Yes “only” six speeds but frankly I don’t miss having more, they just aren’t needed with the engine’s broad torque curve. Okay, an underdrive seventh gear would drop the rpm on the freeway and might save an mpg or two. Mine is FWD and I didn’t notice any differences between it and an AWD I test drove...but that was on dry Arizona roads.

Price will vary depending on dealer and area, best to go to a site like TruCar and check for your area. There isn’t a lot of markup on these so you won’t get a $4000 rebate like with some brands. They are also kind of rare so the dealers won’t be anxious to haggle. Try to avoid extras like window tinting, special paint or seat protection, etc. since they are usually over-priced and you can do better yourself if you want them. Good luck and I hope you can find one if you like the CE.
Above is a very good assessment of the CE CX-5. Mine is AWD and living in the NE, I do appreciate the extra "grip" which unfortunately lowers the (already poor) mpg. The seats are a very stunning deep maroon, maybe dark cherry red. It's a wonderful contrast to a black interior.

Old 04-01-2021, 08:37 AM

The only other thing I would mention - if you have decided on a CX-5. Check out the amenities and features offered with all the trim levels. The Carbon Edition is IMHO, lacking some pretty basic features that should be standard - no Sirius XM, full safety features and others that are very nice to have and add to a better driving experience - heated steering wheel, Heads Up Display, Auto Dimming Headlights, etc. But obviously budget dictates which model/features to select.

Old 04-27-2021, 10:11 PM

I just bought one here in the Houston area. The first dealer didn't have one but the second dealer had the exact model I was looking for. I've had it for 3 days now and have been very pleased with it so far. I have the CE turbo FWD and the engine has plenty of power. I used Trucar and the dealer honored the proposed discount and there is also 0% financing for 48 months.

Old 04-28-2021, 12:17 PM

So i just bought a CX-5 and in the process got some guidance that the 0% financing from one dealer would raise the price of the car by $1k! So be careful you get all the pricing and deal sorted out before asking about dealer financing.

Old 04-29-2021, 12:21 AM

A lot of times you either get 0% or rebates, but not both. I purchased a Frontier last year and got a great deal. Wanted to bring my own financing and was told I wouldn't get the price they offered unless I took the Nissan financing (which was at 5.1%). I kept it for a couple of months per the dealers request then refied.

Old 04-29-2021, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by chickdr19
A lot of times you either get 0% or rebates, but not both. I purchased a Frontier last year and got a great deal. Wanted to bring my own financing and was told I wouldn't get the price they offered unless I took the Nissan financing (which was at 5.1%). I kept it for a couple of months per the dealers request then refied.
Yeah, it's interesting that the 0% interest rate costs you money (Loss of discount). It's almost as if they were charging you interest to get no interest?

Old 05-10-2021, 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by AZCX5
So i just bought a CX-5 and in the process got some guidance that the 0% financing from one dealer would raise the price of the car by $1k! So be careful you get all the pricing and deal sorted out before asking about dealer financing.
I was told the exact same thing by a Tennessee dealer. We bought carbon turbo last Saturday for the combo: exterior color, blackened wheels, and the deep red interior...ordered the SD card for the '21 navigation off amazon...

Old 05-10-2021, 02:15 PM

Originally Posted by tidentenn
I was told the exact same thing by a Tennessee dealer. We bought carbon turbo last Saturday for the combo: exterior color, blackened wheels, and the deep red interior...ordered the SD card for the '21 navigation off amazon...
Welcome to the fold. I really like the CE colors! Enjoy!

Quick Reply: 2021 CX-5 Carbon Edition