Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 Running Boards, Nerf Bars ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2018, 01:09 AM
Default 2018 Running Boards, Nerf Bars ?

Does anyone have experience with Running Boards or Nerf Bars on their 17/18 CX-5?

My wife is quite short and as a result, has to scrape the backs of her legs when egressing the vehicle. I had these on a few of my past small utes and it really helped her. She could swing around and put her heels on the boards and then step down without having to scrape the backs of her legs on the seats reaching for the ground.

Old 09-01-2018, 01:17 PM

We just picked up a 2017 GT with AWD. My wife is short as well. Found a few when doing a google search.

If anyone replies or has pics I would certainly be interested.

Regards,
Jim

Old 09-01-2018, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Detroit1
We just picked up a 2017 GT with AWD. My wife is short as well. Found a few when doing a google search.

If anyone replies or has pics I would certainly be interested.

Regards,
Jim
Hi Jim,

I ordered a Running Board about a week ago and received it this past Thursday. Installed it on Friday. It worked out perfectly.

I will post pics and details in a day or so as I am just finishing up the installation of Side Rails and Cross Bars that I received yesterday.

Addendum;

Just finished the roof rack and snapped a few pics. The running board is perfect for my wife. She can put her heel on it and step down to the ground. Actually, it works for me too.

Also enclosed is a link to the seller of the running board. I offered him $280 and was accepted.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Aluminum-Si...oAAOSwKNhasLeX

David <><

Name:  JrwgwZj.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  2.65 MB
Name:  hjQ3EsC.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  2.69 MB
Name:  UHQeuQl.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  2.74 MB
Name:  A1bNPyg.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  2.37 MB
Name:  ODFHj54.jpg
Views: 71
Size:  2.76 MB

Last edited by David Paul; 09-02-2018 at 10:21 PM.
Old 09-03-2018, 01:57 PM

David,

Thanks for the pics. These look great. Supplier noted is autoxspace and was the price you paid shipped.

Your CX5 looks great and now more functional . Also like the rack bars you added.

Assume the install went okay and did not require drilling any holes into OEM frame etc.

Regards,
Jim

Old 09-03-2018, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Detroit1
David,

Thanks for the pics. These look great. Supplier noted is autoxspace and was the price you paid shipped.

Your CX5 looks great and now more functional . Also like the rack bars you added.

Assume the install went okay and did not require drilling any holes into OEM frame etc.

Regards,
Jim
Yes, the price of the running boards included shipping. No additional holes needed to be drilled.

It is advisable to view some of the installation videos on Utube to get a good Idea of how to install these boards. The instructions that came with them are in Chinese, however, with a little patience, it's very easy to figure out. If my 77 year old brain can do it, anyone's can. There are some understandable critical measurements that are included in the instructions that will come in very handy. That will be the distances between mounting points in metric.

All the boards and nerf bars are installed similarly, regardless of manufacturer. BTW, it is advisable to remove, or at least lower, the sound insulation before starting the install. There are a lot of bolts and a couple nuts to remove for the insulation panels but will make your job so much easier.

When you put the panels back on, you will need to cut out for the mounting bars. After you get started, you will see what I mean. Usually, just cutting slots in the insulation boards is sufficient. Not rocket science.

Leave all the mounting bolts somewhat loose so that you can line up the boards with the car body before final tightening. Again, after you start installation, you will see what I mean.

For additional working room, I drove the front end up onto my Rhino Ramps. Didn't need any additional lift for the rear. The job can be done with the vehicle not elevated but it just makes it more of a chore.