Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2018 CX5 - Would you buy this again?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 10:46 AM
Default 2018 CX5 - Would you buy this again?

Torn between a Honda CRV Touring loaded versus a CX5 Grand Touring loaded. Wife loves the Soul Red but I read the thread on the paint and it is VERY disturbing. Would you buy this SUV again or are there other issues that I should also be aware of? If you had to do it all over again, would you buy the CX5 or look at the competition?

Thank you all, in advance, for your time and insight. I would like to avoid a costly error!

Old 08-21-2018, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by securityguy
Torn between a Honda CRV Touring loaded versus a CX5 Grand Touring loaded. Wife loves the Soul Red but I read the thread on the paint and it is VERY disturbing. Would you buy this SUV again or are there other issues that I should also be aware of? If you had to do it all over again, would you buy the CX5 or look at the competition?

Thank you all, in advance, for your time and insight. I would like to avoid a costly error!
I have a loaded 2014 CX5GT that has been very dependable and comfortable. It is Soul Red, but it is the older color, before the problems arose. The only issue I've had with it is finding the right sized bolts to mount the license plate. I don't consider that a major issue.

Old 08-23-2018, 08:56 PM

I have a 2018 CX-5 AWD Touring with Soul Red Crystal Metallic paint. Lease on March 9, 2018 with just over 5200 miles. So far no paint chipping problems. I am very please with the car (this is my second Mazda), and when the lease ends I will consider another Mazda first before another brand.

Stuart

Old 08-28-2018, 01:12 PM

I just bought a 2018 GT with the premium package. I paid $30,499 + taxes, tags, etc. For the price, it doesn't even compare to others. It's heads and shoulders above other brands. I really had my heart set on an Audi Q5, but the Mazda was better in almost every category!! Not to mention, with the premium package and all the technology that comes in the GT, it would easily be $10K-$15K more with other brands. Yeah it's not as fast as the Audi, but it handles and drives just as well if not better.

Old 08-28-2018, 07:27 PM

I owned both and the CX-5 is superior to the Honda and cheaper to own. All the original brakes, battery, wipers etc lasted double the life of the Honda. The CX-5 has a better seat and is slightly quicker with better mileage. CX-5 looks sportier too.. CX-5 is rated best in its category among all brands although many people still go for CRVs and RAV4s instead. Buy the Mazda.

Old 09-15-2018, 09:27 PM

I have a 2017 with 15,000 km and it was having issues (power fold mirrors are broken and the front end is making noise). Everything is under warranty, but the repairs are inconvenient and concerning for when it comes off warranty.

If I could sell today I would likely splurge and get a Volvo XC60.

Old 09-20-2018, 09:38 AM
Default $650 Technology package is great

If you want a mid size SUV with radar cruise control, auto stop, stop and go, and lane monitor, etc., then by far the cheapest and best way to go is the bottom on the line CX-5 with only the $650 Technology package.

Why does Mazda not advertise these features? Do they expect consumers to stumble upon this by themselves?

Last edited by timmonsr@gmail.com; 09-20-2018 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Add another comment
Old 09-20-2018, 12:05 PM

I don't have a CX-5, so I will leave the specifics to the earlier posts. Beyond that, the most significant difference between Mazda and most other brands is the way they drive and handle. When I drive my wife's Forester, I find that the sloppy handling, wimpy brakes and loose steering wear me out after an hour or so. I am more tired after a 1 hour drive in her Forester than I would be after a 5 hour drive in my Mazda. They are great for some people but not for me. (I just recommend that my brother buy a Subaru Crosstrek and my wife will likely be buying her 6th Subaru next year.)

The question I have for you is are you a Mazda person or a Honda person. You can't go wrong with either if the handling matches your expectations.

Old 09-25-2018, 10:58 AM

I was torn between Toyota RAV4, Honda CRV, and Mazda CX5. I read tons of reviews on all and saw many reviews on the CRV problem with the water and oil mixing together in the engine and Honda can't figure out the problem. With all the problems Toyota has had over the recent years I chose to test drive a CX5. I fell in love with it as soon as I started driving it on the test drive. This is my first Mazda and every time I drive somewhere I love it even more. I'm glad I went with Mazda and would do it again.
Side note: I'm 61 years old and have had over 30 plus new vehicles. I truly love this thing.

Old 09-25-2018, 07:39 PM

Just got my CX5 2 months ago and love it. I read lost a reviews and nailed it down to Honda CRV and Mazda CX5. Test drove the Honda and I just did not like it all that well, seamed more like a minivan with the gear selector on the dash. Was still thinking about it until I drove the Mazda, dang that's all it took. Dealer let me take it home over the weekend, end of story. Quite on the road, fun to drive, up scale interior and good gas millage.

danp

Quick Reply: 2018 CX5 - Would you buy this again?