Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums

Mazda Forum - Mazda Enthusiast Forums (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/)
-   Mazda CX-5 (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/)
-   -   2017 CX5 GT AWD Trailer Hitch and Wiring (https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/mazda-cx-5-54/2017-cx5-gt-awd-trailer-hitch-wiring-40033/)

firefox111 06-04-2018 07:44 PM

2017 CX5 GT AWD Trailer Hitch and Wiring

Hello! I am going to have a trailer hitch installed on my 2017 CX5 GT AWD. Is the CX5 pre-wired for trailer wiring harness? Does UHaul do a good job in installing a trailer hitch?

Thanks in advance.

Conrad 16.5 06-05-2018 05:22 AM

Good luck with that.

CharlieXray 06-11-2018 06:53 PM

I have to be honest, I've had nothing but poor experiences with U-Haul. I've had then install hitches on three cars (not sure why I went back the second or third time) and wiring harnesses on two. The first one...oh my...pure rookie wiring job. The wire placement was so bad that one of the wires that was wrapped around the hitch (no idea why) melted on the hot exhaust and was shorting out, blowing my turn signal fuse every time. It took me nearly a week to finally find what was wrong. Second time, same deal. The wiring was so poor that it worked for about two minutes before it continually blew my running light fuse. Having said that, the hitches seemed to be installed just fine.

A friend of mine had a hitch and wiring installed on his Legacy a few years ago, and it works well to this day.

I'm not sure about the 2017's, but I installed a Curt hitch and wiring harness on our 2016 in about an hour and half when all was said and done. They have some great videos on YouTube showing installs, and their products seems to be well made. I'm very pleased with how it turned out (shameless plus for Curt). There are a few threads about towing that may have some good information for you over there as far as hitches go.

firefox111 06-12-2018 06:22 AM

Thank you for the warning. I will look for other option in my area. My question to the readers is: does Mazda CX5 (2017) have a pre-wired connector/outlet for a trailer electrical need? I used to own a Subaru Crosstrek and that vehicle is pre-wired with a connector to receive a trailer wiring harness for a Subaru vehicle! Does Mazda vehicles have such a connector near the spare tire well?

grim_reaper 06-12-2018 07:10 AM

Not sure on US built, but Japan built do not come pre-wired.

montanaman 06-22-2018 11:32 AM

I had U-Haul here in Kalispell Montana install a Curt hitch and they did a great job ( probably because it is in Montana where people still give a s*#t). I have towed my motorcycle long distances with no issues.

firefox111 06-23-2018 11:17 AM

Montanaman, thanks for your positive comment on U-Haul in Montana. Where I live, workers at U-Haul don't give a s*#t on the quality of their work. I also plan to tow my motorcycle to places, especially to the Prescott, Sedona, or Flagstaff area. I want to know if Mazda 2017 CX5 has already a pre-wired connector for the electricals needed for a trailer hitch. Maybe I'll go to a Mazda service and ask them.

montanaman 06-24-2018 10:17 PM

There should be a pre-wired connector. They can tap in and you have a wire from the trailer into that. I had them leave mine loose so I can tuck the connector wire under the floor with the spare. The tailgate has to close on the wire when in use but it's no big deal.

seex5 09-19-2018 08:35 AM

I installed an aftermarket Curt on my 2017 CX-5 along with the wiring harness (see etrailer). The hitch process was a little difficult installing since there is little room in reinstalling the exhaust after the hitch is in place. The wiring harness plugs right in but you have to pull a few trim panels and run a dedicated power wire directly to the battery. Took me ~ 3 hours all together but I'm slow and meticulous about running wiring..

firefox111 09-19-2018 09:57 AM

Seex5, thank you for your response on this. I have found an installer in my area who will charge a little over $400 to install a hitch on my 2017 Mazda CX-5 GT. The price includes the hitch, wiring harness, and needed attachment/accessories to tow a closed UHaul trailer.

seex5 09-22-2018 09:45 AM

Firefox, I think you will find that the CX-5 tows with little effort, except for an expected drop in fuel economy. I haul a 4x8 trailer loaded to ~ 1,200 lbs and I don't even notice that it's there. The closed Uhaul trailer is a little more obvious but you do have to remind yourself that you have and extra 10 feet behind you when changing lanes, pulling off the road, and parking. And when backing up, you may only get a view of the Uhaul front. Good luck and be careful.

firefox111 09-23-2018 06:54 AM

Originally Posted by seex5 (Post 170071)
Firefox, I think you will find that the CX-5 tows with little effort, except for an expected drop in fuel economy. I haul a 4x8 trailer loaded to ~ 1,200 lbs and I don't even notice that it's there. The closed Uhaul trailer is a little more obvious but you do have to remind yourself that you have and extra 10 feet behind you when changing lanes, pulling off the road, and parking. And when backing up, you may only get a view of the Uhaul front. Good luck and be careful.

seex5, thank you for the heads up. I will be moving in November and I have to tow a close UHaul trailer so that my Honda motorcycle will be secure inside the trailer, plus some of my things to move in the trailer. This will be the first in my life to tow in trailer. So I'm going to have the hitch installed and after the install, I will rent the cheapest trailer I can rent to practice backing up, parking, passing, etc.

Thanks for any other advice on trailering.

dasrider 10-04-2018 03:43 PM

Hey guys first post here. I don't recall seeing a trailer hitch as an option from Mazda (at least for my 2016), so chances are it will not be pre-wired. However, it's been a few weeks since the OP posted, so any update?

I installed a Curt hitch along with their pre-made wiring connection on a lowered 2008 Scion xB. No splicing and the hardest part was just running a wire up to the battery. Otherwise a very straightforward one-man job.

firefox111 10-04-2018 08:34 PM

Update: The trailer hitch on my Mazda CX-5 GT was installed last week by a professional trailer shop. Nope, no pre-wired connector for trailer electrical. Since the 2017 CX-5 have a lot of LED lighting system and a lot of Integrated Circuit controllers, they installed a $59 module for the trailer electrical needs. The wiring harness is inside the trunk. When towing, it needs to be pulled out and just let the backdoor close over it - no big deal. Total charge with all that are needed for towing a UHaul trailer was $429.58 including labor. I plan to rent a UHaul trailer next week to practice before I finally do a long distance one next month. I have to tow my motorcycle cross country.

schmieg 10-06-2018 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by firefox111 (Post 170296)
Update: The trailer hitch on my Mazda CX-5 GT was installed last week by a professional trailer shop. Nope, no pre-wired connector for trailer electrical. Since the 2017 CX-5 have a lot of LED lighting system and a lot of Integrated Circuit controllers, they installed a $59 module for the trailer electrical needs. The wiring harness is inside the trunk. When towing, it needs to be pulled out and just let the backdoor close over it - no big deal. Total charge with all that are needed for towing a UHaul trailer was $429.58 including labor. I plan to rent a UHaul trailer next week to practice before I finally do a long distance one next month. I have to tow my motorcycle cross country.

Spend a lot time practicing backing. Also note that you will have to make wider turns o the trailer doesn't hit something or run over a curb.

firefox111 10-14-2018 07:41 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg (Post 170340)
Spend a lot time practicing backing. Also note that you will have to make wider turns o the trailer doesn't hit something or run over a curb.

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.maz...f25385c7de.jpg
I did spend time practicing last week. I rented a 5x8 closed UHaul trailer and rolled my bike in and it fits perfectly in that small trailer. I noticed that there are only 4 D-rings inside the trailer - 2 on the front corners and 2 in the back corners. I don't think those can withstand the straps that I'm gong to use to secure the bike. I may have to fabricate something to restrain the bike to prevent it from rocking side to side. Does anyone here have any tips on making sure that the bike is secure inside the trailer. I'll be towing the trailer for 1,750 miles mid November.

schmieg 10-14-2018 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by firefox111 (Post 170478)
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.maz...f25385c7de.jpg
I did spend time practicing last week. I rented a 5x8 closed UHaul trailer and rolled my bike in and it fits perfectly in that small trailer. I noticed that there are only 4 D-rings inside the trailer - 2 on the front corners and 2 in the back corners. I don't think those can withstand the straps that I'm gong to use to secure the bike. I may have to fabricate something to restrain the bike to prevent it from rocking side to side. Does anyone here have any tips on making sure that the bike is secure inside the trailer. I'll be towing the trailer for 1,750 miles mid November.

It's been a while since I rented a U-Haul, but isn't there room to run straps behind the impact bars that line the sides and front of the trailer? You could run rope or straps on each side, forming a loop, and then connect the bike to the loops with bungee cords. That would provide some give if the bike shifts a bit, but still provide enough support to hold it upright (if you use strong rope and strong bungees).

I think I would also attach straps to the front of the trailer to keep it from sliding fore and aft while driving.

firefox111 10-14-2018 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg (Post 170479)
It's been a while since I rented a U-Haul, but isn't there room to run straps behind the impact bars that line the sides and front of the trailer? You could run rope or straps on each side, forming a loop, and then connect the bike to the loops with bungee cords. That would provide some give if the bike shifts a bit, but still provide enough support to hold it upright (if you use strong rope and strong bungees).

I think I would also attach straps to the front of the trailer to keep it from sliding fore and aft while driving.

This type of trailer only has D-rings to attach straps to. There are no "impact bars" that line the sides of this trailer. I may have to fabricate something to encase the bike with it propped up on the center stand - maybe a board on the trailer floor and screw down four 2x2 wood, 2 up front by the forks and 2 by the middle of the bike???

schmieg 10-14-2018 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by firefox111 (Post 170480)
This type of trailer only has D-rings to attach straps to. There are no "impact bars" that line the sides of this trailer. I may have to fabricate something to encase the bike with it propped up on the center stand - maybe a board on the trailer floor and screw down four 2x2 wood, 2 up front by the forks and 2 by the middle of the bike???

If no impact bars, you are limited. It all depends on how strong those D-rings are and how they are fastened. Fabricating something may be your only backup.

firefox111 10-14-2018 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg (Post 170481)
If no impact bars, you are limited. It all depends on how strong those D-rings are and how they are fastened. Fabricating something may be your only backup.

Yes, I have to fabricate something. This is a 1,750-mile trip. The D-rings are tiny.

dasrider 10-15-2018 08:04 AM

I have been using HF's imitation front wheel chock stand for years: https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-l...ock-61670.html

I'll use it in the garage when I need the bike straight up for maintenance as it is very stable on its own. I can also throw in in the back of a truck when necessary. For the money (and with 20% off) it has been a great purchase over the years and hasn't failed me yet. My open 4x8 trailer has another style chock bolted in.

If you want the original look at Condor.

The chock provides a stable base to keep the bike from rocking left or right to a degree. If the D-rings are at the front corners I would use straps between the forks and the closest ring so that bike is pulled forward and to the corners. Since the chock is not solidly attached you want it pulled towards the front wall of the trailer. I would recommend a Canyon Dancer II handlebar strap to help with this. Ideally, the rings will be low so that front suspension gets compressed also.

Done properly you wouldn't necessarily need to strap the rear down unless you just wanted to. If not strapped, the worst it'll do is bounce the rear of the bike up and down and after a big bump in the road. Can't hurt though.

As always, never tow a bike on the kickstand - that's just asking for frame damage.

firefox111 10-15-2018 09:50 AM

Dasrider, thank you for your suggestion. I will not put the bike on the centerstand or kickstand. I will check with our local Harbor Freight store if they have the chuck.

Thanks again.

dasrider 10-15-2018 12:48 PM

After thinking about this for a bit I would strap the rear down anyway. For a trip that long you very well may have to make some emergency braking maneuvers. If that's done while the rear wheel is off the ground it could be ugly.

Let us know how the CX feels while towing that much load. I'm considering adding a trailer hitch to ours in order to get my bike to the track.

firefox111 11-23-2018 09:16 PM

Update: I made it in 1,780 miles to my destination with the my bike in a UHaul trailer. I used the $59.99 Harbor Freight motorcycle chock suggested by dasrider https://www.harborfreight.com/1800-l...ock-61670.html. With a 3/4" plywood, I screwed the chock onto it. To prevent the plywood from shifting on the trailer bed, I screwed 1"x2" wood on the sides resting against the sides of the trailer. To prevent the plywood from sliding backwards to the tailgate of the trailer, I screwed D-Rings near the rear corners of the plywood and strapped the d-rings to the middle floor D-Rings of the trailer. By the way, I used a center stand dolly with no problem at all. The bike was tight and secure. I made it without any incident although my CX-5 was struggling. I only averaged 17.4 mpg the entire 1,780 miles. I reserved a UHaul 5x8 close trailer but I was issued a 6x12 with 2 axles. I did not complain because I was on a tight schedule. I had to arrive at my destination in 2 days because I was meeting my relatives there. For the most of the steady incline highways going into the mountain, my CX-5 was always in 5th gear. BTW, I was on manual mode all the way to make more efficient shifting on inclines with adaptive cruise on. There was a 4% to 5% uphill grade on my final stretch that I had to shift to 3rd gear in order to negotiate the hill. I will not go to the same UHaul facility next time I need a trailer.

dasrider 11-26-2018 03:43 PM

A 6x12 enclosed trailer is pretty big for a 4-cylinder. Glad to hear everyone made it without incident. Good to know these cars can handle a little extra load when required.

montanaman 12-19-2018 11:42 PM

I tow a BMW GS motorcycle ( 600 lbs) on a 1000 pound Kendon open motorcycle trailer so about 1800 lbs when the spare tire and some other gear are added. My 2016 AWD GT tows this fairly well but struggles when going over mountain passes. I tow from Montana to Arizona and back every year and it's border line with this set up. I also have a Thule roof box so that adds weight and drag. My average fuel economy is 17 mph. At that point I should just put the bike in the back of my Tundra and drive that. Same result and a less crazy ride. These little SUV's will tow but it's not ideal.