Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2017 CX-5 Infotainment partially locked

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2020, 04:26 PM
Default 2017 CX-5 Infotainment partially locked

Hi All, Just bought a used 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring and I have an issue with the Infotainment system.

The car was a rental, so I suspect it has something to do with the rental company locking out customers from fiddling with the infotainment center but here's the issue...

I am unable to access and change certain selections in the infotainment center such as restoring to factory, rain sensing wipers, door locks, turn signals, lighting, etc. This is how it came when I got the car.

I flashed the newest software to the system and had no issues there, then added Android Auto/Carplay, but have the same issue and I am also unable to access Android Auto or Carplay, even though they show up as selections now.

I've tried the reset - Hold the Back/NAV/Mute button, no change and pulled the negative wire from the battery and no change.

I looked into the hidden menu in the Connect module as well (Hold Music, Favorites and Mute) and couldn't find anything obvious to do in there, although you can tell a programmer wrote that so that programmers would understand it.

So, any ideas? Thanks a lot!

Old 03-28-2020, 05:11 AM
Super Moderator

What level software are you running?

Old 03-28-2020, 10:07 AM

70.00.352 NA N
Music database 00.09.000
I did not update the music database version unless it got updated with the other one I flashed.

Old 03-28-2020, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by bfenenga
Hi All, Just bought a used 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring and I have an issue with the Infotainment system.

The car was a rental, so I suspect it has something to do with the rental company locking out customers from fiddling with the infotainment center but here's the issue...

I am unable to access and change certain selections in the infotainment center such as restoring to factory, rain sensing wipers, door locks, turn signals, lighting, etc. This is how it came when I got the car.

I flashed the newest software to the system and had no issues there, then added Android Auto/Carplay, but have the same issue and I am also unable to access Android Auto or Carplay, even though they show up as selections now.

I've tried the reset - Hold the Back/NAV/Mute button, no change and pulled the negative wire from the battery and no change.

I looked into the hidden menu in the Connect module as well (Hold Music, Favorites and Mute) and couldn't find anything obvious to do in there, although you can tell a programmer wrote that so that programmers would understand it.

So, any ideas? Thanks a lot!
To get Android Auto / Apple Carplay, did you just flash to the newest software, or did you also do some hardware upgrade (like changing the USB ports)?

Old 03-29-2020, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by mazda_nc_dude
To get Android Auto / Apple Carplay, did you just flash to the newest software, or did you also do some hardware upgrade (like changing the USB ports)?
Hi, yes I flashed the most current available software and then installed the replacement USB hardware that is located in the center council.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-Apple...4AAOSwE~pdDQr4

Old 03-29-2020, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by bfenenga
Hi, yes I flashed the most current available software and then installed the replacement USB hardware that is located in the center council.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mazda-Apple...4AAOSwE~pdDQr4
Wondering if there is an issue with the replacement USB hardware.

Old 03-29-2020, 02:15 PM

I don't think that's it because the system acted the same before the new flashed update and after the flashed update but before the new hardware.

Old 03-31-2020, 05:04 PM

If you flashed the software , how would the previous software/ settings have anything to do with what it happening to the radio now? (After the flash -being a rental ) Just trying to understand this ..

Old 03-31-2020, 05:07 PM

So basically the infotainment system was acting exactly the same both before flashing and after flashing and before the hardware upgrade and after the hardware upgrade. So I am assuming that whatever was blocking the access is still blocking it as it seems to have nothing to do with either the 59.* software nor the 70.* software. Make snese?

Old 04-01-2020, 08:15 PM

Yeah, strange behavior. Maybe the Mazda Service people could run a diagnostic on it. Don't know though if you would want to go that route.

Quick Reply: 2017 CX-5 Infotainment partially locked