Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CX-5 or CX-9

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 02:38 PM
Question CX-5 or CX-9

I've heard that the CX-5 is one of the better new cars on the market today. I've looked around at various car dealerships and privately. A dealer seems to be the way to go but I can't decide on what model. We have a family of 4 so I am wondering what would be the best option. Is there a big difference in mileage? Speed? Reliability?

I've narrowed it down to these 2:
2018 MAZDA CX-9 SUV
OR
2018 MAZDA CX-5 SUV

Additionally, is there any value is buying used? Most of the positive reviews I read were for 2017 or 2018 so I was hesitant to go older than that.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 05-18-2018, 12:11 PM

Me and my wife have been talking about the CX-9 since she first got pregnant. We're about to have our second kid, but they have 3 cousins, so the 3rd row was definitely in my radar. I was undoubtedly going to buy used, as I've bought many used cars in the past, and I work on my own cars, I know what to look for.

While checking out the ~2016 CX-9 and all the options, I also started eyeing the ~2016 CX-5, and its package options. While both cars start in the very affordable $20k range (new), they quickly get up in the price bracket when you want some options, and I did want some options, this is going to be my road-trip car.

On one hand, I wanted the 3rd row very bad. But on the other, this will be my wife's Daily driver and we don't want her lugging around a large SUV every day for work.

While the CX-9 is big and beautifully styled, I also wanted the Grand Touring package, which put the CX-9 out of our price range, but not the CX-5.

I wound up buying (2 days ago) a 2016 CX-5 GT with tech package, which has a lot of very nice features. I got the dealer down to $20k after pointing out some things like tires, brakes, and a slight headlight issue, which is fair, considering they're still trending around $23-26k, and it probably started life around $36k.

If you absolutely want the 3rd row of the CX-9, you'll probably be price-bracketed out of the Touring or Grand Touring. The CX-5 makes it easier to get the highest model, which will make you happier, and hold its value.

I always tell people "Don't get the Lowest Lexus, get the Highest Toyota."