Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2016 CX-5 Burning oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2017, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Jbird007
Also, with the exception of a 2011 Chevy Cruze, every vehicle I've ever owned was at "full" oil level at the top mark and 1 qt. low on the bottom mark. Apparently with these cars, the half way point between the marks is the proper "full" level. I don't know why car makers have strayed from decades of protocol on reading a dipstick. I also not happy that they don't put cross hatch marks on the sticks anymore. I have been tempted to put some on mine, but life is full so I have never found the time to do this.
The probable reason is that many people check their oil when filling at a service station when the engine is warm and the oil reads a bit higher than when cold.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by schmieg
The probable reason is that many people check their oil when filling at a service station when the engine is warm and the oil reads a bit higher than when cold.
Actually, it's likely to read lower as there's oil in the head that takes a while to drain down to the sump. The only time I ever check my oil is when the engine is dead cold and the car on level ground.

Old 09-04-2017, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by paris1
Actually, it's likely to read lower as there's oil in the head that takes a while to drain down to the sump. The only time I ever check my oil is when the engine is dead cold and the car on level ground.
That's why you're supposed to wait five minutes before checking the oil. If you think about it, that's about the time it takes to stop the engine, pop the gas lid, futz around with the pump's credit card stuff (which seems slower every time I fill up), start the gas flowing, then pop the hood, get the paper towell from the dispenser if it isn't empty, and then check the oil.

Old 10-02-2017, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Sean2112
I have had a CX-5 for about six months now and it has less than 4000 miles on it. I checked the oil level recently and noticed that it was low.

I spoke to the dealership and let them know that it was burning oil and that I even smelled it. Their response that it is normal for these vehicles to "consume" oil. They refused to acknowledge that it may have a problem.

Has anybody else noticed their newer CX-5 "consuming" oil?
I have a 2016.5 CX-5 that burns 1 litre every 5000 km. Mazda said it's normal. Thats an insult. They must think I'm stupid. Compression and leak down test were apparently both normal. I'll be fighting this one the whole way.

Old 10-03-2017, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by Steve_G
I have a 2016.5 CX-5 that burns 1 litre every 5000 km. Mazda said it's normal. Thats an insult. They must think I'm stupid. Compression and leak down test were apparently both normal. I'll be fighting this one the whole way.
Like it or don't, believe it or not, it is normal, and that holds true for pretty much any car from any brand.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:12 PM

Originally Posted by shipo
Like it or don't, believe it or not, it is normal, and that holds true for pretty much any car from any brand.
I've had several Hondas since 1976 and a 2007 Mazda3 and none burned a drop of oil. I had two Hondas that I drove close to 400,000 kilometers and none burned a drop of oil. You obviously work for Mazda Customer Service. Sorry. I'm insulted again.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:24 PM

I've had several Hondas since 1976 and a 2007 Mazda3 and none burned a drop of oil. I had two Hondas that I drove close to 400,000 kilometers and none burned a drop of oil. You obviously work for Mazda Customer Service. Sorry. I'm insulted again.
You need to work on being so easily "insulted" Steve. Hate to tell you buddy, but I've owned 3 Mazdas and none of them have burned any (or almost "any") oil between changes. I've been on this and another CX-5 forum for 5 years and reports of oil usage are almost nonexistent. Does it occasionally occur? Sure! But the usage you report would not be considered excessive by any auto manufacturer, even if it may be on the outer edge of normal for a SkyActiv gas engine.

Old 10-03-2017, 03:24 PM

Seriously? You're insulted when I give you the straight skinny on how things work in the automotive world?

News Flash: Be prepared to be insulted for the rest of your life unless the person you're talking to is blowing sunshine up your skirt.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:13 PM

My dear friend at Mazda Customer Service, perhaps you can explain why there are so few complaints if burning oil is so normal for the CX-5. I can tell you that I have spoken to other mechanics who say such consumption on an engine with 20,000 km is well outside the range of normal. You consider yourself an expert yet your language would say otherwise. Believe me, if Mazda had told me my engine was going to burn a litre of oil every 5000 km from the day I took it off their lot I would have taken my business elsewhere.

Old 10-03-2017, 04:22 PM

So you really think that Mazda has "stealth agents" prowling internet forum sites telling outright lies in response to owner complaints? You figure this is a major component of their warranty repair cost reduction program? Hmmm, I don't know why that never occurred to me.

Quick Reply: 2016 CX-5 Burning oil