Mazda CX-5 The CX-5 CUV debuts Mazda's SKYACTIV® TECHNOLOGY and is unique for its impressive fuel economy, responsive handling and bold style

2014 CX-5 Power Loss, CEL, TCS and Tire Pressure lights

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 12:22 AM
Default 2014 CX-5 Power Loss, CEL, TCS and Tire Pressure lights

Hey everyone,

First time on the Mazda Forums, Just got a nice, new to me, 2014 CX-5 sport 2.0 manual. Love it so far! 23k miles and counting

Now to the problem I'm having. Completely randomly, sometimes a couple time a day and sometimes not for a couple weeks, the car just loses all power. When this happens the CEL, TCS and tire pressure lights all come on. Putting it in neutral, shutting off the engine and restarting it has always worked so far without causing any danger on the road. The TCS and Tire Pressure lights go off immediately after restart, and the CEL stays on for a bit longer, but always goes off as well after a few engine restarts

Took it into the dealer and had it die on the way. CEL was on when they checked it out. Threw the code for MAF. $400 later it was replaced and on my way. Did NOT fix the problem. I want to emphasize that the car runs fine otherwise. No rough idle or hard starts. I have searched the internet and found a few people with the same problem, but have yet to see anything that looks like a solution. Saw one person get a new ECU, new oil control valve, and a few other things to try to get to the bottom of the issue. I would really like to avoid that hefty price tag.

If anyone is having the same problem, or better yet has a solution I would love to hear it.

Any help appreciated.

-Zach

Last edited by zachmain02; 12-22-2017 at 12:24 AM. Reason: add vehicle to title
Old 12-22-2017, 07:00 AM
Super Moderator

Known issue with the ABS pump/module. Internal software failure or something.

Requires replacement.

In fact, had 1 in this week at work.

Old 12-22-2017, 08:40 AM

Grimm_Reaper. Thanks for the quick reply. Did the ABS module cause the engine to lose power and CEL and the TCS lights to come on as well? Every time this has happened, all these things happened together.

Old 12-22-2017, 02:27 PM

Wouldn't this fall under 5yr/60k powertrain warranty?

Old 12-22-2017, 06:39 PM

Unfortunately Some parts do and some dont. The MAF was not, I asked. Doing a bit of looking on forums, it seems like dealers who have been presented with this issue had a hard time diagnosing it. Parts not covered and lobor at 150 an hour racks up too fast!!! If it comes down to it I'll just have to get it done and eat the cost, but that's' a last resort!

Old 12-23-2017, 06:01 AM
Super Moderator

The buletin I was thinking of doesn't mention loss of power.

Did Mazda put any fault codes on your invoice?

Old 12-23-2017, 09:54 AM

Only code they read was for the MAF. MAF replaced, but no help. I assume that's' the one it throws every time. The CEL usually goes off before I can get it in to read it. Restarting the engine 2-3 times and it goes off. I bought a nice OBD2 reader, waiting for it to show up so I can check the light each time.

Old 01-01-2018, 12:46 AM

So, a few more things I saw on other forums and have tried. Not a throttle by wire lock out system that I can tell. Hit the gas and the brake at the same time and did not do anything. Read that it could be a key FOB issue. Had a brand new key FOB made (needed one anyway) and it didn't help.

It has lost power a few times, but wife has been driving, so no codes read yet. I will post as soon as I get them

-Zach

Old 12-15-2020, 01:15 PM
Default 2015 Mazda CX-5 abs pump module problem

Originally Posted by grim_reaper
Known issue with the ABS pump/module. Internal software failure or something.

Requires replacement.

In fact, had 1 in this week at work.
So my 2015 cx5 sport, 6 speed manual, has the flashing tire pressure light, the TCS light, and now the check engine light on steady. I replaced the battery, and sometimes there’s no lights then sometimes EVERY single possible warning light comes on. It has gone into limp mode on the rare occasion, but it all seems completely random. Could this be the abs pump module computer thingy as well? Thanks for your help! So far my Mazda dealership doesn’t have a clue, and I’m super unhappy how a practically new car with only 50,000 miles on it is already turned into a piece of junk.

Old 01-30-2021, 11:09 AM

So did someone find the problem ? my girlfriend cx-5 2014 have this problem. TCS, CEL, TPMS, and power lost.
Originally Posted by zachmain02
Hey everyone,

First time on the Mazda Forums, Just got a nice, new to me, 2014 CX-5 sport 2.0 manual. Love it so far! 23k miles and counting

Now to the problem I'm having. Completely randomly, sometimes a couple time a day and sometimes not for a couple weeks, the car just loses all power. When this happens the CEL, TCS and tire pressure lights all come on. Putting it in neutral, shutting off the engine and restarting it has always worked so far without causing any danger on the road. The TCS and Tire Pressure lights go off immediately after restart, and the CEL stays on for a bit longer, but always goes off as well after a few engine restarts

Took it into the dealer and had it die on the way. CEL was on when they checked it out. Threw the code for MAF. $400 later it was replaced and on my way. Did NOT fix the problem. I want to emphasize that the car runs fine otherwise. No rough idle or hard starts. I have searched the internet and found a few people with the same problem, but have yet to see anything that looks like a solution. Saw one person get a new ECU, new oil control valve, and a few other things to try to get to the bottom of the issue. I would really like to avoid that hefty price tag.

If anyone is having the same problem, or better yet has a solution I would love to hear it.

Any help appreciated.

-Zach

Quick Reply: 2014 CX-5 Power Loss, CEL, TCS and Tire Pressure lights