Mazda CX-30 The place to discuss the newest compact SUV addition to Mazda's lineup.

Push Button Start Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2020, 06:54 PM
Default Push Button Start Malfunction

Anybody seen this warning message? I assume it is not battery related as the headlights/taillights light up and all the dash lights come on and go thru their sequence. I tried starting with the smartphone app, same result, no go. Is there a way to bypass the starter button and use the key?

Old 06-16-2020, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

Have you pressed the key fob against /into the start button? This bypasses the battery in the fob.

Do your brake lights work?

Failing this, it will require a diagnostic scan.

Old 06-16-2020, 02:28 PM

Thanks. The headlights/taillights worked. I thought there might be a process to use an actual key, but couldn't find it. Turns out it was the battery. Even tough the dash lights and headlights/taillights worked, I assume the malfunction is not the pushbutton, but not enough juice to start the car. The "Push Button Start Malfunction" isn't really the push button, I left it overnight on a battery tender, that said it was charging, same in the morning, but no juice, and no headlights/taillights. So, find the 29 year old battery booster/charger buried in the garage somewhere; on boost for five minutes and car started. Drove for half an hour, turned off, started. Put battery tender on and it said charging 35%.

Old 11-24-2020, 06:59 PM

I got my 2021 Mazda CX-30 GS AWD this Friday and I had this problem today. Initially, the car would not start and I thought it is the battery but jumpstarting it also did not help.
I have sent it to the dealership for inspection.
People who have faced this problem - What did the service say is wrong with the vehicle after inspection?
It is my first car purchase here in Canada and I want to make sure I have all bases covered when I go back to the dealership and when they try to tell me they have done whatever is needed to fix the car.

Thanks,
Ray

Old 11-25-2020, 09:06 AM

I also have a 2021 CX-30... purchased in mid September. I would appreciate hearing from you when you get the results from the dealer.

Regards

Old 06-15-2021, 08:26 PM

I just had this happen to my 2019 Mazda3.

Unlocked the car normally and when trying to turn it on, received an error that there was a push button start malfunction. Tried both key fobs. Tried everything the dealer service suggested. No luck. I wasn't even able to lock/unlock the door or trunk. Service suggested I have it towed to them but it was late in the evening and I'm hardheaded and thought I could figure it out.

Searched online and decided to try jumping the battery. Worked. Drove the car around and turned it off. Wouldn't turn on again. Tried a few more times and had luck. It turned on but got an error that there was a critical charging failure.

Decided to take it to Advance Auto for a new battery.

Works perfectly so far. Still plan on taking it to the mechanic for a checkup but figured this might help someone with the same issue.

Thank you to everyone in this thread who had advice.

Old 06-19-2021, 12:53 PM

Imo, much of our rapid battery depletion is due to constant key fob communication with the vehicle. I do not use my car daily, and sometimes not even weekly, and it sits in the garage. I was continually getting the dash low battery message and annoying chime no matter how much I trickle charged the battery or drove the vehicle. Locking the vehicle and moving the key fob into the house made no difference. I finally bought a small faraday bag on Amazon for the fob and keep the fob in it IN car in the garage. Even after a few weeks, no annoying chime or message. Car starts up every time. Mazda really needs to address this unnecessary car/fob communication. I have never had this issue with any other vehicle/fob.

Old 06-20-2021, 04:55 PM

I agree, the MyMazda app keeps telling me the driver's door is unlocked. Yes, it's in the garage. Shut up. Interesting solution, should work for me. Thanks.

Old 06-24-2021, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Steve Grant
Imo, much of our rapid battery depletion is due to constant key fob communication with the vehicle. I do not use my car daily, and sometimes not even weekly, and it sits in the garage. I was continually getting the dash low battery message and annoying chime no matter how much I trickle charged the battery or drove the vehicle. Locking the vehicle and moving the key fob into the house made no difference. I finally bought a small faraday bag on Amazon for the fob and keep the fob in it IN car in the garage. Even after a few weeks, no annoying chime or message. Car starts up every time. Mazda really needs to address this unnecessary car/fob communication. I have never had this issue with any other vehicle/fob.
Hi there, I came across this thread while searching for the battery depletion and the push button start malfunction message. I have a 2021 Mazda 3, and am in a similar situation like you where I only use my car once or twice a week. I'm trying to understand your solution a bit better. Could you explain your solution a little bit more? As far as I understand, the faraday bag would cut the communication, but you keep the bag in the car?

Thank you in advance!

Old 06-25-2021, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by shl615
Hi there, I came across this thread while searching for the battery depletion and the push button start malfunction message. I have a 2021 Mazda 3, and am in a similar situation like you where I only use my car once or twice a week. I'm trying to understand your solution a bit better. Could you explain your solution a little bit more? As far as I understand, the faraday bag would cut the communication, but you keep the bag in the car?

Thank you in advance!
i purchased a small faraday bag esp made for key fobs, on amazon.
I keep the key in the closed bag in the car in my garage when not in use. This cuts all communication with the key fob and the car. So far i have not had any low battery warnings so i say it is working

Quick Reply: Push Button Start Malfunction