Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

S2 engine timing

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2021, 05:35 AM
Default S2 engine timing

Thanks to all that helped ID the engine fitted into my Mk 1 Transit as an S2. Managed to get the pushrods and head gasket now.

I'd like to fit it all tomorrow but i don't really know what bent the pushrods in the first place so i'd like to check that all the cogs (cam, diesel pump and all that) were set right (it looks to have been recently rebuilt with new core plugs in the head and numbers on the bottom of the valves)
I have been looking for a manual, even got my credit card cloned trying to buy one! But cannot find one,

Does anyone have any instructions on this?

Is there anything else i need to consider?

Lucas

Old 10-19-2021, 01:51 PM

If you are still looking for a manual on the S2 there are nine on eBay right now. Look for a 1982-1984 Mazda B2000 B2200 Truck Manual. Genuine Mazda. It covers everything on the engine but rebuilding the injection pump. I have an 83 bought new has 430,000 miles and only have had to have the pump rebuilt once and injectors 3 times and glow plugs maybe 5 times. Drove it to work 38 years. I'm retired now but she is still my daily commute.

Jeff

Old 10-19-2021, 06:22 PM

Thanks Jeff. That's reassuring.... I'm on it.

Gear linkage will be my next project, fair bit of play in that!

Old 10-19-2021, 06:52 PM

I'm curious. Is your Mk 1 Transit a Ford. If so I believe it was only offered with the 1.8 Perkins not the S2 which is 2.2 liter.

Jeff

Old 04-26-2022, 04:52 AM

wpnscaler, i had to walk away for a while, it was driving me crazy!

Sure is a ford, i think that is part of the issue, a donor Mazda S2 engine (badly) grafted in.

I back into it now though, i did the pushrods, checked everything started it all good

I then started to remove some of the terrible wiring from accessories and bad fixes in the past, the only this is since then it won't start!!

Anyone got a picture of the engine wiring diagram i can check?

My understanding is there is just the cable to the diesel shut off valve which is all good and i have removed and bench tested

Any other ideas?

Old 04-26-2022, 08:27 AM

There are two electrical requirements on the S2. The fuel cut as you mentioned. And because it is an idi type engine the glow plug circuit. Check for voltage at one of the glow plugs and then check for resistance at each glow plug after removing the glow plug harness. Make sure you don't turn the ignition switch on while the harness is disconnected. I rewired my glow plug circuit. The Japanese use the minimal gauge wire necessary for each circuit. I went with one gauge higher and ran it direct from the two relays instead of snaking around the engine compartment. I'll see if I can find my manual and copy the schematic. About the only other thing that would keep it from starting would be air in the injector lines.

Jeff

Old 04-26-2022, 11:21 PM

Thanks Jeff, I'm going to do everything i can to ensure no air in the system this afternoon

Old 04-27-2022, 12:01 AM

Do you know how to bleed the injector lines? Also has injection pump ever been removed?

Jeff

Old 04-27-2022, 12:12 AM

Not to my knowledge, i did manage to get a manual for the engine from Perkins so i plan to follow this...

Old 04-27-2022, 01:54 AM

It runs Jeff!!

Quick Reply: S2 engine timing