Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

B2300 Repair Drama

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2018, 02:20 PM
Default B2300 Repair Drama

I have a 2002 B2300 with 66K on it. My gear shift indicator was not aligning so my regular mechanic made some adjustment. It was better for a while but got worse to a point where I couldn't see what gear I was in or for that matter FEEL what gear I was in. I brought it to a Mazda dealership and again they made some adjustment that perfectly resolved the gear shift and indicator. They wrote this report.

GEAR SHIFTER NOT STAYING IN PLACE

SHIFT CABLE LOOSE AND MISADJUSTED

ADJUSTED SHIFT CABLE FROM UNDER VEHICLE.

SHIFTER NOW GOES INTO ALL GEARS BUT TRUCK SLIPS WHEN IN PARK AND HAS TO BE STARTED IN NEUTRAL

MAZDA FULL CIRCLE SERVICE INSPECTION

ALL FLUIDS CHECKED

I picked up the truck and all felt well until I parked on an incline later that day. In "park" I slipped backward into oncoming traffic, very close call. Park was now no longer working and my emergency brake was doing nothing. There had never been a problem with the er brake.

Called Mazda dealership. They were not glad to hear from me and stated they didn't like working on older trucks. I told them they had now made my park situation worse and they agreed to do a full diagnostic review. They kept the vehicle 3 days and issued this report.

SHIFTER CABLE IS STRETCHED FROM TRANSMISSION TO STEERING COLUMN. A LOT OF PLAY IN SHIFTER ASSEMBLY AS WELL.

BRAKE CABLE FROM PARKING BRAKE PEDAL TO REAR SHOES HAS AN EXTREME AMOUNT OF PLAY AND HAS NO ADJUSTMENT. CABLE WILL NEED TO BE REPLACED.

VEHICLE NEED EXTENSIVE WORK / RECOMMEND GETTING NEW VEHICLE / VEHICLE IS UNSAFE TO DRIVE

VEHICLE HAS NO REAR BRAKES AND PARKING BRAKE CABLE IS STRETCHED OUT.

REAR BRAKE DRUMS, SHOES ANS WHEEL CYLINDERS NEED TO BE REPLACED.

TRANSMISSION IS LEAKING, NEED TO REPLACE GASKET AND FLUID

VEHICLE NEEDS TWO TIRES

VEHICLE REAR CROSS MEMBER SUPPORT NEEDS TO BE REPLACED

So a few things on my mind. If this truck was unsafe to drive and literally on its deathbed, why did they not indicate this on my first visit, when they looked at the same exact problem? If the rear crossmember needs replacing why did my own (well respected) mechanic replace the struts and say nothing of it? It all seems pretty weird.

I bought a new Subaru yesterday so I have wheels, but I love my B2300 and want to know whether saving it is an affordable and safe option. At 66K miles this seems like an untimely death.