Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

'93 B2200 Drum Brake hardware?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2022, 04:02 PM
Default '93 B2200 Drum Brake hardware?

Good day,

Just about a year ago I rebuilt the rear drum brakes on my 1993 Mazda b2200 with all new hardware off of RockAuto. I did new brake shoes, new wheel cylinder, new spring hardware. Specifically I bought this Centric kit (Part Number: 11845004) Which said it would be compatible for my truck, however, the brake pedal travel to engage the brakes is a lot since I installed these springs. I know they are installed correctly, and I even took the truck to a professional shop after to bleed the brakes and adjust the brake shoe tightness. When I came to pick up the truck after the service, they told me that they had tried their best to get the pedal travel down, but that the springs on the rear drums were incorrectly sized for my truck, leading to the large pedal travel. This summer I am planning to redo this job, but hopefully with the correct brake hardware. Now I notice that there are actual sizes on RockAuto (260 x 45mm and 260 x 50mm) and the kit I bought does not show a size. Can someone tell me what these dimensions are referencing? When I go to buy a drum hardware kit in the future, how can I make sure it will be the right size for my drums? Does anyone know of a good drum brake hardware kit that works for our trucks?

Thanks!

Old 05-24-2022, 08:09 AM

I'm sure I've used a brake hardware kit purchased locally (O'Reilly or Autozone).

I'd check for correct operation of the rear brake adjusters and/or adjust the rear brakes manually through the backplate access hole. That will affect brake pedal travel.

Maybe post photo after the drum is off showing your current stuff.

Also note that when changing a brake master cylinder that the brake pushrod length should be checked/adjusted, the recess depths are not all the same.

Last edited by Cusser; 05-24-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 05-25-2022, 07:01 AM

Sounds like you just had bad luck on whatever RockAuto sent you. I got a hardware kit from RockAuto made by Raybestos, part number 5017302. This was for an 88 B2200 - I expect same for your 92? They are $11 and change. The paint coatings on the big springs were flaking off and looked like garbage, but they were fine. I got the brake cylinders from AutoZone, part numbers 33949 and 33950. If I remember right AutoZone didn’t have the brake kit stuff - but check as I wouldn’t trust that memory!

Old 05-25-2022, 07:05 AM

If you need drums and pads, those were part numbers 9333R and 565PG at RockAuto. Working great.

Last edited by 88LBO; 05-25-2022 at 03:28 PM.
Old 05-27-2022, 12:51 PM

Thank you! I changed the brake shoes, and resurfaced the inside of the drum when I did this. Definitely going to keep those part numbers for the future though.

Old 05-27-2022, 01:00 PM

"I'd check for correct operation of the rear brake adjusters and/or adjust the rear brakes manually through the backplate access hole. That will affect brake pedal travel."
As I recall from when I had the drums off, The auto adjuster arm was not engaging properly with the brake adjuster teeth, which is why I suspect that the spring was a bit too loose. It was like that for both sides, so like you said I tried to do it manually. Still have some pretty bad brake pedal travel but I'll definitely take the drums off again this summer to investigate further and let you know what's up.

"Maybe post photo after the drum is off showing your current stuff."
For sure, when I get the drums off again, I'll be sure to post the photos on here.

"Also note that when changing a brake master cylinder that the brake pushrod length should be checked/adjusted, the recess depths are not all the same.[/QUOTE]"
I haven't changed the master cylinder, but this definitely got me thinking. I'll do some investigating and see how the pushrod length influences my brake function.

Old 05-27-2022, 07:30 PM

For the record, even though my own 1988 B2200 Cab Plus does have the so-called self-adjusting brakes, I manually adjusted my rear brakes today.

Old 06-19-2022, 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cusser
For the record, even though my own 1988 B2200 Cab Plus does have the so-called self-adjusting brakes, I manually adjusted my rear brakes today.
Why??? If the adjusters are working properly they won't need adjusting & if not the vehicle will pull to one side when braking.

Old 06-19-2022, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by MrPhatass
Why??? If the adjusters are working properly they won't need adjusting & if not the vehicle will pull to one side when braking.
Because the self-adjusters don't seem to do that great of a self-adjusting job, in the 28 years I've owned mine !!! Easier than complaining about it !

And I need to manually adjust the brakes on my two old VWs anyway !!!

Old 06-23-2022, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by Cusser
Because the self-adjusters don't seem to do that great of a self-adjusting job, in the 28 years I've owned mine !!! Easier than complaining about it !

And I need to manually adjust the brakes on my two old VWs anyway !!!
You might get some decent money for those buggies if sell them for scrap.

Quick Reply: '93 B2200 Drum Brake hardware?