Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

91 B2600i Destroyed #4 Spark Plug

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2021, 06:42 PM
Default 91 B2600i Destroyed #4 Spark Plug

91 B2600i 4x4/5spd 212k mi

bought it as a non-running truck. Got it home and started poking around, pulled the plugs and found the #4 plug was smashed (see pic)

Ive never encountered this before...

What am I looking at?
Also looks like I have ZERO compression on that cylinder too.

I checked the spark plug, Bosch FR8LCX and it appears correct for the engine and is the same as the other plugs.

PO said that it just died while driving on the freeway, towed it home and put it up for sale.

SO, what do you think?

Whats my course of action on this?

Old 03-06-2021, 07:54 PM

Probably had a problem with valve keeper on that cylinder and dropped a valve in. I recommend you pull the cylinder head and fully assess the damage. You'll probably need a remanufactured head at least but with that mileage, more likely need a new engine.

If I were in your shoes I'd be considering a Kia swap on this truck. The body looks decent so its worth it

Old 03-06-2021, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by 90-B2200
Probably had a problem with valve keeper on that cylinder and dropped a valve in. I recommend you pull the cylinder head and fully assess the damage. You'll probably need a remanufactured head at least but with that mileage, more likely need a new engine.

If I were in your shoes I'd be considering a Kia swap on this truck. The body looks decent so its worth it
Another head is only $400 and Im into the truck for 1500 so no big deal.

Sure my son will crash ot into something before the engine takes a dump again.

Aside from visually inspecting the piston for damage, what else should i look for?

Last edited by shibbershabber; 03-06-2021 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-06-2021, 09:05 PM

Originally Posted by shibbershabber
Another head is only $400 and Im into the truck for 1500 so no big deal.

Sure my son will crash ot into something before the engine takes a dump again.

Aside from visually inspecting the piston for damage, what else should i look for?
Scored or cracked cylinder walls.

If you put a new head on a high mileage worn bottom end it’s a recipe for high oil consumption. Also, it’s possible for rod or bearing damage from the valve dropping in

Old 03-08-2021, 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by 90-B2200
If I were in your shoes I'd be considering a Kia swap on this truck.
That is a B2600i truck......and the EFI 2606cc G6 Mazda engine in it makes more power & torque than an EFI 1998cc FE Kia engine.

Also, the G6 engine is a timing chain engine (no belt) along with twin balance shafts also driven by a chain......the timing chain may have let go and caused a valve to contact a piston.

Regardless, these are definitely good engines, and worth rebuilding......I have rebuilt several of them and they perform superbly!

One thing to realize, the "Oil Pump" is also the front timing cover, and it ain't cheap (around $300.00) but definitely needs to be replaced when rebuilding these engines.

A better view of the front timing cover/oil pump.

Old 03-08-2021, 06:45 PM

Im getting a camera to look inside & determine the damage... Then weigh the cost of rebuild... vs selling the truck.

As nice as it is, Ill at least get my money back out of it

Old 03-09-2021, 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by MeB2000
That is a B2600i truck......and the EFI 2606cc G6 Mazda engine in it makes more power & torque than an EFI 1998cc FE Kia engine.

Also, the G6 engine is a timing chain engine (no belt) along with twin balance shafts also driven by a chain......the timing chain may have let go and caused a valve to contact a piston.

Regardless, these are definitely good engines, and worth rebuilding......I have rebuilt several of them and they perform superbly!

One thing to realize, the "Oil Pump" is also the front timing cover, and it ain't cheap (around $300.00) but definitely needs to be replaced when rebuilding these engines.
Point well taken. So how much $ do you have in that 2600i rebuild total?

Old 03-09-2021, 07:28 AM

Isn't S&J Engines in your area???

Old 03-09-2021, 09:39 AM

I tried searching for info on the Kia swap and nothing comes up (not even the post in this thread, so ??)

where can I find out more?
How much modification is required?
Match the bell housing? Fuel lines? What about harnesses & ECM, etc?

Old 03-09-2021, 10:45 AM

Originally Posted by shibbershabber
I tried searching for info on the Kia swap and nothing comes up (not even the post in this thread, so ??)

where can I find out more?
How much modification is required?
Match the bell housing? Fuel lines? What about harnesses & ECM, etc?
https://www.facebook.com/groups/330830643749580

Quick Reply: 91 B2600i Destroyed #4 Spark Plug