Mazda BT 50 & Pickup Trucks While Mazda may not be known for their trucks, they have always produced quality reliable trucks for both hauling cargo, or simply crusing. BT 50

1990 B2200 Won’t Start Only Cranks

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2021, 11:54 AM
Default 1990 B2200 Won’t Start Only Cranks

I bought a 1990 Mazda B2200 and it won’t start only cranks. Has fuel, spark and compression I already tested for all three, compression is normal. Timing appears to be correct. Previous owner replaced distributor cap, rotor and plug wires. Also replaced ignition coil. I tested the fuel pump and it is working. Tried a little starting fluid too and done nothing just kept cranking. Put some gas in the carburetor and just kept cranking. I’m stumped on it I’ve never had this issue before. It sat about 4 years, I drained all the old gas out and put fresh in before cranking it. He said the reason it was parked because it would shut off when coming to a stop and be hard to start back up.

Does this sound like a carburetor issue? When my 1989 done this it was the fuel pump and I haven’t had the issue since with it. I am not too familiar with these carburetors. Thanks.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:30 AM

Since compression is good and the engine cranks fine, I'd spray some aerosol starting fluid into the air cleaner or carb, try to start, do this a few times. If it runs for a few seconds then quits out, you have a fuel delivery issue, start there. If it won't run at all when you do this, then it's a spark issue, work on that. This is a common first test to help isolate the problem. This is practically an ALWAYS: isolate whether spark or fuel. And remember: just because the engine can crank fine, doesn't mean that the electrical part of the ignition switch (the "run" circuit) is OK.

If doesn't run even a few seconds, go back and check for spark, spark at the right time, etc.

Since this is new to you, wouldn't hurt to make sure that the camshaft timing/timing belt is OK.

Old 04-04-2021, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Cusser
Since compression is good and the engine cranks fine, I'd spray some aerosol starting fluid into the air cleaner or carb, try to start, do this a few times. If it runs for a few seconds then quits out, you have a fuel delivery issue, start there. If it won't run at all when you do this, then it's a spark issue, work on that. This is a common first test to help isolate the problem. This is practically an ALWAYS: isolate whether spark or fuel. And remember: just because the engine can crank fine, doesn't mean that the electrical part of the ignition switch (the "run" circuit) is OK.

If doesn't run even a few seconds, go back and check for spark, spark at the right time, etc.

Since this is new to you, wouldn't hurt to make sure that the camshaft timing/timing belt is OK.
Thanks. I tested for spark it’s got spark. The fuel pump appears to be working. Haven’t checked if there could be a clog somewhere or something. Also haven’t made sure it is sparking at the right time I’ll have to do that. I didn’t even think of testing that because I was getting so frustrated. I know the ignition has been replaced before because the door and gas cap keys are different from the ignition keys where in my 1989 they are the same. I will try a bit more starting fluid too I only done a little bit. Also I noted the flap on the carburetor isn’t closing when the accelerator is released so I hope that doesn’t have something to do with it.

Old 04-04-2021, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by AutoMechanic
I know the ignition has been replaced before because the door and gas cap keys are different from the ignition keys where in my 1989 they are the same.
Changing the key tumbler does not mean that the electrical part of the switch has been changed.

I'd check ignition timing and camshaft timing if aerosol starting fluid into the carb doesn't get it running for a few seconds. I assume you have a mechanical fuel pump on the cylinder head and its plastic spacer??? And did you measure the gas flow where it enters the carburetor?

Old 04-04-2021, 08:31 PM

Changing the key tumbler does not mean that the electrical part of the switch has been changed.

I'd check ignition timing and camshaft timing if aerosol starting fluid into the carb doesn't get it running for a few seconds. I assume you have a mechanical fuel pump on the cylinder head and its plastic spacer??? And did you measure the gas flow where it enters the carburetor?
Ok I will get my timing light and check the timing on it. Yes my fuel pump is mechanical it’s getting a lot fed into it I pulled the line off there to check. I also pulled both lines that it comes out of too and it had lots coming out. I didn’t check flow into the carburetor though.

Old 04-05-2021, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by AutoMechanic
I didn’t check flow into the carburetor though.
That's what the aerosol starting fluid is for, just to rule out any fuel issues...you call yourself AutoMechanic, you'll get this !

Old 04-05-2021, 09:22 AM

That's what the aerosol starting fluid is for, just to rule out any fuel issues...you call yourself AutoMechanic, you'll get this !
Thanks Cusser yes I’m a mechanic but this one truly has me stumped none of the guys at work could figure it out either. You are always very helpful here and on The Samba as well I’m a beetle owner too. My username is the same over there.