Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

timing adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 11:13 PM
Default timing adjustment

my 1990 mazda 626 wont start and i think it because timing is off 3 teeth so how do i adjust this i cant really get on the tensioner pully and it doesnt mover when i turn it so what and how do i do it.

Old 07-13-2007, 10:49 AM
Default RE: timing adjustment

[align=left]hey man i really hate to tell ya this but its for the best. now if i recall correctly, on your model and year for the type of engine on your car if the timing is not right,and i do mean on the dot. your carwill be rendered stationary. the problem have in gears or cams is that if you are off by even 1 tooth this can really mess with the car. lucky for you there are indication marksmade on the camgears for the lining them up. Now on the crankshaft is another. You have to turn it untill piston one (1) is in its TDC position ( Top Dead Position. ) This means that when the piston has reached its vertical point before it presides to start its way back down. now you really don'tneed a special toolto find the TDC. put a none sharpened pencil down into the sparkplug chamber, make sureyou find one long enough though, and don't try this with the valve cover on. the pencil while it rises untill you notice it start to go down. remembering to turn the crankshaft slowly. After the piston has reached its TDC mark you setting with a marker that is very noticeable. Make sure that it is made for automotive purposes. Checkto make sure that your camgear markings arefacing eachother. These markings are already marked fromwhen the engine was assembled. jst remember also that your crankshaft has markings. make sure te piston stays in TDC!! this is critical!! This is the only was to correct the timing on these engines. all work can be done with engine in its bay, but i recommend it be done with the engine out for space. Removing all the necessary partsto access the timing belt is not hard eithe.oNEMORE THING REPLACE THE GASKETS AND SEALS TO WHATEVER IT IS YOU REMOVE. beats doing the job twice. Well this should giveyou an understanding of why your car has not been working. Well catch ya later! if any questions feel free to email.
[/align]