Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Replace muffler & pipes myself on 323?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:33 AM
Default Replace muffler & pipes myself on 323?

Another issue related to the failed state inspection I mentioned in another thread (https://www.mazdaforum.com/m_49920/tm.htm):
Apparently I need some exhaust work done. Last time I had anything done was four years ago--Meineke replaced cat. converter and everything else back from there, including muffler. The mechanic yesterday (not at Meineke) wrote "EXHAUST MUFFLER, TAILPIPE ***'Y" as what needed replacing. Cost of parts from this shop is $187.12. I called this morning to ask exactly what parts he meant, and he said it was "everything from the cat. converter back," i.e. not the converter itself but all the rest.

So here's my question: Is this also a repair I can do myself, and if I do, will it be substantially cheaper than taking it back to Meineke? (The muffler itself is likely covered by warranty but not the pipes.) If I do it myself, I reckon I can get the parts from AutoZone or Advance Auto Parts. Any suggestions or tips? Any unusual pitfalls or difficulties I might face in doing it myself?

Old 07-27-2007, 11:51 AM
Default RE: Replace muffler & pipes myself on 323?

If you go with a purchased kit for your vehicle, it's a simple bolt on scenario. This is what I would recommend as the install will be quick and painless.

If you want to assemble the kit yourself, your looking at more time involved, but still something that can be done with fairly simple tools. There are either slip joints with clamps or bolted flanges that join the various exhaust parts together, easy enough to take care of. You'd need to be able to cut tubing and probably weld the joints together, although there are clamps available for custom exhaust applications.

If just your muffler has gone bad, you can replace just that and use the remainder of the exhaust pipe. Use either aluminized or stainless steel tubing as it won't corrode (as fast)

If $187 is parts, how much labor are they going to charge you for? I'd expect at least a couple of hours (probably at $60-80/hr) It can get expensive pretty quick

Get their quote and ask if that includes labor. You could then ask them if the labor can be reduced if you remove of all of the old components yourself(....a loud ride to the exhaust shop, but cheaper on your wallet)

Old 07-27-2007, 12:11 PM

They quoted me $96.00 for labor on the exhaust stuff.

I don't have access to any welding stuff, so that's out. Can you tell me more about what you mean by a "purchased kit?" (i.e. what's included, who might sell it and/or what to ask for)

Old 07-28-2007, 07:32 PM

Try searching on yahoo under "mazda 323 exhaust" I'm sure some company makes an exhaust kit that is already bent in all the right areas and fit to your car. All you would have to do is unbolt the stock exhaust from the catalytic convertor, and bolt the new exhaust on.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:24 PM

i have a 89 323 sedan and i replaced the stock exaust with 2 1/2 in
and i just used U clamps for about 90 percent of it and it works great and sounds great and it cost me about $90 all together muffler and everything.