Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Pls bear with - dumb blond 626 question

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Default Pls bear with - dumb blond 626 question

Hey, guys! I have a big problem with my much-driven, much-loved '84 626. The carb squirts major amounts of gas up into the air cleaner, and it's all wet inside. She wants to run, but there's so much gas, I have to hold the pedal down all the way to even make it start. It kind of runs, but not very good. Anybody got any ideas?

Thanks!
J

Old 04-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Default RE: Pls bear with - dumb blond 626 question

Doesn't sound like a dumb blond question to me but a very good one.
Sounds like the needle and seat in the carburetor is stuck open and allowing fuel to overflood the float bowl. There is a sight glass on the front, side of the carburetor that allows you to view the fuel level in the float bowl. You will need to remove the air cleaner housing and probably clean area a bit to see it. You should be able to see a line between the liquid fuel and air level in carb thru this window. Should be right in the middle.
You can also try taking off the air cleaner top and while looking down into the carb (with safety glasses of course as it might spurt back up at you)and having someone else crank over the engine, see if you see fuel running in and building up on the throttle butterflys ( don't pump gas and make sure choke is fully off so butterflys will be closed up tight). Hope this helps ya out.
p.s. make sure you are cranking the engine while looking for overflowing fuel as you have a mechanical fuel pump. No engine turn over, no fuel pump operation.

Old 04-27-2006, 06:36 PM

Thanks, Baby! That is certainly some help. I should have a chance to look at it closer this weekend. This is the second carb to *not* work right on this car. I rebuilt the first carb with a Tomco kit a few weeks ago, and actually had the car running around the yard. Then it started doing this. Very sad. Have a great weekend, Baby!

Old 04-27-2006, 10:43 PM

You have a great weekend as well silky_justice.
Looks like we will be having sunshine for once. Hope the problem is an easy fix without having to take everything back apart. If you need some more info on the carb internals and measurement would be more than glad to fax the pages from OE shop manual. It is very descriptive showing all of the jet and air bleed locations as well as float level adjustment.

Old 04-28-2006, 11:19 PM

That would be *way* cool, Baby H! I don't have a fax, but could you scan them and send them to slky_justice@yahoo.com? You da bomb! Sure hope it works out - hafta work this weekend. ugh. Still another weekend without my favorite car running. Hope your weekend is a sunny one!

Silky J

Old 05-04-2006, 06:21 PM

We did in fact have a sunny weekend. Sunburned the top of my ears and back of neck somethin' fierce. Finally getting back to being able to take at least a warm shower. Tried to scan this last weekend. Problem is my scanner is not doing as it's name implies but instead just sits there and hums at me untill I get tired of listening to it and shut it off. Any other idea's on how to get the pages to ya?