Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

New Mazda Owner/ Heater Fan Issue!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 01:53 AM
Default New Mazda Owner/ Heater Fan Issue!

Hi, i have never had a Mazda Before but picked up a 1998 'T' Reg 626 1.8 Petrol as a cheep run about every thing seems to work correctly apart from two things! i wondered if anybody could point me in the right direction!!

the Heater, only works on speed 4, if you press the Air Con Button it lights up but when you turn the fan to speed 4 it goes out!
i read it could be the actual switch or the fan resistor but it seems odd with the air-con light going off on the only position that the fan works!

there is a bit of a clutch smell, however the clutch operates fine, it doesn't seem to slip!

i had a search on the forums but nothing really seems quite the same problem

Any Help/Advice Gladly taken!

Chris

Old 05-24-2010, 08:38 AM

Hi Offrodo/Chris

I suppose you read my post "Heater/cooler fan not working 91 626 gd sedan" near yours

You have a '98 626 and mine is a '91 - but our problems could be very similar

Mine was similar to yours - the first two speeds did not work, but the air con button lit up on these speeds. when flicking to speeds 3 & 4 the fan blew but the air con light did not! You would think the reverse is true, but maybe it has something to do with way the resistor works. I am almost convinced its your "fan speed resistor" [correct terminology] because the symptoms are consistant

I don't know where your fan blower sits and to what position near it the resistor sits, but in my car it was under the glove box. Fish around under there and see if there are any screws or plugs to pull out to get the cover panel out the way.

What I did was to ring the Mazda dealer and asked him the new resistor part price and where the resistor sits - Mazda has access to the expanded diagram of what parts fit where. Ask him to email you a copy and also maybe confirm where it sits verbally. They usually are looking at the PC screen of the diagram when talking to you to get the part number, so its no hassle for them to send it to your email while they have it up.

Mine was simple to remove -it was larger than I thought - in mine it was a wire coil arrangement with a green ceramic line of coating at the top of the coils. I think there are 4 coils [for the 4 speeds no doubt]. Not sure if yours is the same. Mine had three wired white plugs coming off it as well [off course] - plugged into a black plastic base and when you unscrew the base and pull it gently out, you should see the resistor coils if the technolgy hasn't changed.

I got mine second hand from a parts wrecker/recycler and it works great [about quarter new price]

Make sure you bring the old one to the wrecker to ensure its exactly the same. A second hand one usually gets 1-3 months warranty.

I fixed mine in a hurry because the fan and air con need to work on cold nights to demist the windscreen

Best of luck

Last edited by speedy123; 05-24-2010 at 11:34 AM.
Old 05-28-2010, 07:12 AM

thanks for your reply!

i got a new resistor from the main dealer.. £40 ouch!

the fan now works fine and the aircon button lights up as it should but doesn't blow cold air so i am going to get the system checked and re-gassed as the car is 12 years old and proberly never been changed!

Chris

Old 06-02-2010, 10:14 AM

Excellent!

40 pound is approx $90AU so thats not so bad!

Did the coils have a green ceramic coating on them or are the later ones different?