Mazda 323,Mazda 626 & Mazda 929 Whether the compact 323, the mid sized 626, or the full sized 929, these vehicles remain very popular even though production has stopped.

Help! Broken Tranny on 2001 626

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 09:34 PM
Smile Help! Broken Tranny on 2001 626

My 2001 626 automatic with 92,000 miles on it is slipping badly and the tranny shop says the diagnosis machines can't find a problem. They want $1,200.00 plus parts to crack it open and hopefully find a small repair. If they don't find a small repair, they say it will be $2,700.00 to rebuild the transmission. This for a car I only owe $2K on at this point.

What I don't understand is, why is the tranny dying on this 8 year old car with less than 100k miles on it????

Any help or input at all would be seriously appreciated!!

Angie&Sick626

Old 11-22-2009, 05:14 AM
Super Moderator

Oooooo. Angie, I'm so sorry to have to tell you that you've got a lemon.
The auto trannies in the later 626's are junk and are prone (very prone) to failure.
Personally, I have only read about these issues, but our Super Moderator Mazmart Trini seems to have a good handle on what the problems are and can probably tell you all about them.
I know he has said that trying to find a used one that is good is impossible and a gamble at best. And rebuilds are expensive.
I'm sorry, but it doesn't look good.

Old 11-23-2009, 01:57 PM
Default Help! Broken Tranny on 2001 626

Virgin1,

Thank you so much for replying! I will try to get with Mazmart Trini for more input.

Yes, I was considering buying a used tranny from the junkyard and having a friend install it, but from what you said maybe not!

Old 11-23-2009, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

I hate to have to give anyone bad news, especially such expensive bad news but from what Sheldon has said about them (and he should know) there are no good used ones.
His company stopped selling them because of all the comebacks.
Just a badly designed tranny, I guess. It happens, but its a really hard pill to swallow for the out-of-warranty owners.

Old 11-24-2009, 02:05 PM

No seriously, I appreciate any input, even the bad news. Do you know how I can get ahold of Sheldon (is that also Mazmart Trini?) for more?

Old 11-24-2009, 03:29 PM
Super Moderator

One in the same. https://www.mazdaforum.com/forum/members/mazmart-trini-13589/
You could PM him? Click on the link above, click the Contact Info tab, click Send a private message to Mazmart Trini.
Unlike me, he is usually on during the day when @ work. Perhaps he away for the holiday week?? My work frowns on that, though sometimes I do it anyway.

Old 11-24-2009, 03:42 PM

You are awesome. I will contact him now and run this by him, tho I know it's baaaaadness!!

Old 12-09-2009, 06:38 PM
Default 2001 626 Automatic with Tranny problem. Help?

2001 Mazda 626
Automatic Tranny
92,000 miles

Any mechanics out there? I got a question for ya:

The tranny is slipping, the ‘OD Off’ light is sometimes blinking, and after three estimates, the cheapest one is $2,700 to rebuild the transmission. The other two are a thousand more to install remans. One shop got the code “Second gear ratio”, but the other two just say the tranny is shot. When I drive it, it does feel like second gear is the one that slipping.

I found this on the internet and it gave me hope: "If a late model transmission (computer-controlled transmissions started becoming popular in the early '90s) is not shifting properly, it is often the result of a computer sending incorrect signals due to a faulty sensor, or the transmission is not reacting to the computer command because of a bad connection or defective solenoid pack. These problems can be corrected while the transmission is in the car for considerably less money then a complete overhaul."
http://www.familycar.com/transmission.htm

Can you tell me how I can be assured that these guys have checked for a simple computer malfunction? I want to ask this of the shop that gave me the rebuild estimate of $2,700.00. I don't want to insult him, but I would like to know that it’s been ruled out. CAN this be checked without removing the transmission, and if so, how?

Angie

Last edited by virgin1; 12-09-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 12:54 PM

Well, I have the same car. Knowing its tranny potential problem, when it got to about 90,000 miles, I started putting auto tranny additive in there to improve its condition:

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/cat...Name=Lucas+Oil

It did help to improve some of the slip and jerking situations. In addition, I am wondering if you can take your car to AutoZone to have them check out your engine ECU log to see if there is anything in there indicating tranny messages.

Good luck.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:56 PM

Thank you for posting, as I'm still working this problem. So, the Mazda dealership got a diagnostic code of P0732 (gear 2 incorrect ratio). Is this part of the ECU log you mention? I hope not, so that there is hope of some other outcome than a repair that costs more than this car is worth...

Quick Reply: Help! Broken Tranny on 2001 626